FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Any turbo-diesel other than 6.6 Duramax as 5.3L or 6.0L swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No where near that good for me dude. But I have not drove mine on highway or hardly around town since the latest re-flash. Nothing was changed at my last tune as far as MPG would go, I think.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Threre have been a few people who put 5.9 cummins in nbs trucks, they are slightly cheeper than a duramax but i think you will have more trouble getting it to work with the factory electronics. If you can get your hands on a v10 diesel from a touareg or one from a late model bmw, those would also be nice
Old 09-12-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by billreid1@***.net
Whats your budget? I remember paying $6k for a COMPLETE 2003 Duramax motor from turbo to pan when the 01 Dually I was driving had its motor crap out. It was brand new right off the assembly line... only had break-in dyno time. If I remember correctly there was a broker that bought excess motors from GM. This was 2 years ago. Not sure whats available out there now but engine/Allison tranny combo's have got to be even more abundant now.
I can't see why it would be so difficult if you were able to obtain wiring harnesses with the motor/tranny... even if you swap dash harnesses. Check around to see if you can find a rollover truck or something creamed from the side. Can't see it being anymore difficult than changing a C5 from a 6spd to an Auto while still maintaining all vehicle options..

Bill
Holy Smokes! That is an awesome price! So then there must be a whole lot of labor involved because when I did my research the cheapest quote seemed to be in the 25k range! And up!

I mean, if an engine and tranny could be gotten for say, 7k US (less than 8 k Canadian these days), and the work done for 4k or so (pipe dream?), it may be a very viable solution. I know that i spent in the order of 11k on my magnacharger, headers, wires, plugs, exhaust, tune, although this was 2 years ago as well when the Cdn buck was only worth $0.75-$0.80 U.S.

Thanks for that headsup!

Re the Toureg Turbo - indeed that is another great possibility! Thanks for that too!

All very helpful indeed.

D
Old 09-12-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
I mean, if an engine and tranny could be gotten for say, 7k US (less than 8 k Canadian these days), and the work done for 4k or so (pipe dream?)
D
Hmmn - is this the start? Seems too good to be true...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GMC-CHEVY-PICK-UP...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-12-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmn - is this the start? Seems too good to be true...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GMC-CHEVY-PICK-UP...QQcmdZViewItem

Oy - it is getting better. I found a source, in Canada, where I can get into a low mileage 6.6L with allison tranny for around 9k Cdn shipped. Starting to get stoked now! Need to find a wrenchhead in Edmonton now who can do the install....... Hmmmn. Swap the 6.6 and Allison into the Denali. Swap the Supercharged 6.0 into the Yukon.

$15k to happiness??????
Old 09-13-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Speedy02- a nice 3.9L cummins would be easy to throw into a half-ton frame. There are already some nice programmers and chips out for it as well, so 300 hp wouldnt be that hard..
Old 10-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oy - it is getting better. I found a source, in Canada, where I can get into a low mileage 6.6L with allison tranny for around 9k Cdn shipped. Starting to get stoked now! Need to find a wrenchhead in Edmonton now who can do the install....... Hmmmn. Swap the 6.6 and Allison into the Denali. Swap the Supercharged 6.0 into the Yukon.

$15k to happiness??????

you will need a 2inch body lift for the allison transmisson or a larger(higher) transmission valley hump in a 1/2ton vehicle