FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Anybody done anything with a Whipple 305

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you loose boost this summer? Is it a heat/iat issue, or something else? Those 671's can be re-stripped and serviced. I second Trick's comment, but would think about getting rid of the square tooth drive, and go with a 14mm drive belt system.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats a nice ride man. id keep it as is and build a new 21st century car. gotta love the sound of a 6-71 going down the road!

edit... i admit i wasnt sure what the whipple 305 was. was thinking of a little baby blower but that thing is nice! just came across this nasty looking setup

Old 10-15-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

It looks good. You were talking about having to redo your hood. Looks like either way you go the hoods gonna have to be hacked on it a little bit. I doubt it will line all back up as nice as it is now with a totally different blower. Badass car btw
Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

The 305 will make more HP but is 1" taller. Cost may be the big issue. I checked on a rebuild on the the one I have. Hell I can get a new one for that much. The more I read on the 305 the more I like runs a lot cooler than the 6-71 and the boost comes up faster. I am going to talk to them tomorrow and see what I can find out. If I can pull 100-150hp off it may be worth it.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much was your quote on a rebuild? should be no more then 1k and that would be on the high high end. is yours striped? if so that adds to the cost and reduces rebuild intervals. from what i seen it looks like that whipple setup is around 7k
Old 10-17-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by schino
how much was your quote on a rebuild? should be no more then 1k and that would be on the high high end. is yours striped? if so that adds to the cost and reduces rebuild intervals. from what i seen it looks like that whipple setup is around 7k
Mine is striped BDS said 3k to do it. Talked to one other guy and he said he would not touch a BDS he said they were junk. Mine has a lot of scratches in it.
I can save a little money as I am going to use my intake very little. I am going to talk with them Monday and see what they say.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3DTIM
Mine is striped BDS said 3k to do it. Talked to one other guy and he said he would not touch a BDS he said they were junk. Mine has a lot of scratches in it.
I can save a little money as I am going to use my intake very little. I am going to talk with them Monday and see what they say.
wow! wouldnt have thought itd be that much. i cant tell from the pics is it one of their billet cases or is it one of the original gmc cases thats polished? I believe the scratches are inherent with the stripped blowers as long as they arent deep gouges. I wonder if their rebuild includes a hard anodize of the inside which will build up about .002 on the surface and then of course re strip it. unless they use their own design strips they are not terribly expensive its just you have to pull the whole damn thing apart to put them in. also if it is a GMC based blower and the case or rotors are damaged and you want to stick with the 6-71 let me know ive got a stockpile of rebuildable cores and would be willing to sell case/rotors if needed
Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by schino
wow! wouldnt have thought itd be that much. i cant tell from the pics is it one of their billet cases or is it one of the original gmc cases thats polished? I believe the scratches are inherent with the stripped blowers as long as they arent deep gouges. I wonder if their rebuild includes a hard anodize of the inside which will build up about .002 on the surface and then of course re strip it. unless they use their own design strips they are not terribly expensive its just you have to pull the whole damn thing apart to put them in. also if it is a GMC based blower and the case or rotors are damaged and you want to stick with the 6-71 let me know ive got a stockpile of rebuildable cores and would be willing to sell case/rotors if needed
Mine is a GM one. On the Cases you have do have one that has never been polished. I got a friend that is looking for one. If you have one let me know and send me your number and I will send it to him. He is redoing an old funny car.
Cost more to get the Anodized done. Been looking at new ones not rebuilt ones. Cost pulse HP and how long it will last. Mine is around 6years old and has a lot of miles on it.