FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Anyone try tapping the OEM fuel rail ends?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never done it but i took a rail apart to see what it looked like. i see no reason why you couldn't drill and tap a fitting in there.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there enought meat to tap into the outside cap or should I stay inside the recessed indent?

RB
Old 11-08-2009, 08:12 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
Is there enought meat to tap into the outside cap or should I stay inside the recessed indent?

RB
there is plenty of meat to tap the larger area. if you have to drill it out much larger to match the tap then i am not so sure.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

I have done it. You uncrimp the aluminum caps on the ends of the fuel rails. Then you remove the "O"Ringed aluminum plug from the rail. Drill and tap the cap for an A/N fitting. Then drill and file a hole in the aluminum cap into a HEX shape so that it can fit over the installed A/N fitting. Put a new "O"Ring on the A/N modified plug and put it back into the fuel rail. Then slip the aluminum cap over the A/N fitting and recrimp it to the fuel rail.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just looked at an 05 truck we have at work 5.3 with metal fuel rails, why not get some of those and weld fitting on the end?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Baltimore Whore

Rick don't you think 2 44's are just a bit overkill? LOL
Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parish8
i have never done it but i took a rail apart to see what it looked like. i see no reason why you couldn't drill and tap a fitting in there.
I got a spare '05 Return rail in the mail today that I picked up off CL. I'll try the tap method tomorrow and see what happens. When you look through the crossover tube hole, you can see a metal "+ shaped" spine running down the center of the plastic fuel rail. I'll see what happens with that spine when I drill it out for the tap. I'll start with a 1/4 NPT and if there is enough meat, I'll drill for a 3/8 NPT tap. The 3/8 should be ideal for a -6AN male fitting.

Rick
Old 11-16-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Rick don't you think 2 44's are just a bit overkill? LOL
Not really. I'm shooting for 750 RWHP and I know I can't make it on one Walbro or Bosch pump without a TON of Meth. I'm sure two walbros will support the 750 goal but I want to be able to try E85 down the road so the twin Bosch pumps will support the volume.

I ordered a 2l Surge tank the other day but it won't be here for a couple weeks. I'll be mounting the surge tank and the FPR on the secondary battery tray (passenger side at the firewall) with the 2 bosch pumps mounted underneath the tray. The stock OEM line will feed the Surge tank with a -6AN return line tapped into the top of the OEM fuel bucket. I've been looking into running one of those 2 CPU ECMs so you can switch between a 91 octane + Meth tune and a E85 tune at a flip of the switch. If such a beast is a reality, then I'll add a 10 gallon E85 tank where my spare used to be (the twin 3" tail pipes negated carrying a spare) with it's own stock type OEM pump. Then I can switch back and forth between the Gas and the E85 tank. Since the surge tank only holds 2 liters and is constantly being recycled, it will have a minimal effect on the main tank in use. Once I get all the parts collected, I'll do a write-up on the install.

I'm dying to get my shortblock installed but I want to get all the supporting systems in place and running before I install it.

Rick
Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Baltimore Whore

Isn't Rick at syn running a single on his 800hp rig??
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Isn't Rick at syn running a single on his 800hp rig??
He's running a single Bosch 044 intank with an Alky dual nozzle kit maxed out. It was after talking to him when I had him load my 4L80E update that I considered running 2 044's instead of adding a 2nd walbro intank (he ran 2 044's inline on Mark's truck). That and the fact that I picked up a pair of low hour 044's from a road race car for less than single new pump that convinced me to build it right the first time and then leave it alone. Plus down the road if I ever bumpb up to twin Garret GT35's, I'll be able to support their thirst.

Since I'm a California boy with bi-annual smog checks, I wanted to put soemthing together that I could just unplug, remove the battery tray and return to stock for the inspection (after a full day of removing the turbos and putting the stock exhaust back on!).

Rick

Quick Reply: Anyone try tapping the OEM fuel rail ends?