FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Base STS Turbo VS GT67 upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
On a 2wd truck I think having that lag from a dead stop helps out with wheelspin issues. Just dont be suprised if you end up kicking out sideways as soon as you hit about 30mph and hit full boost LOL
Exactly! If I don't stall it up, then theres some lag, but not any slower then w/o the turbo. But at the top of first its a smoke show. If I stall it up, I leave on 2psi which is a smoke show. If I'm rolling, the boost is instant. This is with a cammed 4.8 with a stall and GT67 .81 A/R.

If you put the two compressor maps side by side, you'll see why the GT67 performs better. Just make sure you go conservative with the turbine housing, like a .81 A/R When I first installed my kit, it was about 95* ambient and my IAT's w/o an IC got up to 130*. I have nothing to compare that to, but you can compare it to yours.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a radix setup, I feel the turbo is the best way to go. Yes there is lag but it isnt as bad as people said it would be. With my 67mm I can hit full boost between 3400-3800. And its nice to have it like that. I feel that if i had all my power at 2500rpms it woudl be harder to drive around town. Dont get my wrong, once this thing spools its Bye-Bye to what ever is behind you. And when I first got the kit done, there were acouple of times where i would hit boost around a corner and didnt want/mean to.
I am strongly thinking about going to a bigger turbo. Before that I would spray my current setup and if I get the numbers I want i will not get the bigger turbo. BUT if I still dont get my numbers, I see a 70+mm turbo in my future
Old 11-29-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey F8TL, i was wondering if you were still messing around with truck, I know you had that single cab at one time. I think i remember you saying you were getting out of the game for a while to go back to school
Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Yeah, I am taking a backseat to racing and spending loads of cash for now. I have no job and go to school full time so I have to be careful. I'M selling the stock RCSB here soon and had bought the Prius.

Now the Z71 will have the high CR 5.3L with heads/cam and the Radix. Gonna see how I like it. I kept the STS for now as well until I make up my mind which one I like best then I'll sell the other. I also have the nitrous kit ready in case I need more. All the money I had going towards the RCSB is just gonna be held at the shop in the event I blow this motor up I can drop in the built 6.0L like I had planned for the lil truck.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
Coming from a radix setup, I feel the turbo is the best way to go. Yes there is lag but it isnt as bad as people said it would be. With my 67mm I can hit full boost between 3400-3800. And its nice to have it like that. I feel that if i had all my power at 2500rpms it woudl be harder to drive around town. Dont get my wrong, once this thing spools its Bye-Bye to what ever is behind you. And when I first got the kit done, there were acouple of times where i would hit boost around a corner and didnt want/mean to.
I am strongly thinking about going to a bigger turbo. Before that I would spray my current setup and if I get the numbers I want i will not get the bigger turbo. BUT if I still dont get my numbers, I see a 70+mm turbo in my future
I hear you about the over exaggerations on boost lag. I hear all sorts of people talking about it and its usually from people who don't have turbos and sometimes not even a supercharger. The lag is almost non existent in my truck, if it did spool off the line to full or even half boost I'd be through my third set of tires since I installed it. I too think the way to go is with the turbo, but that is a personal choice.
I don't want this to turn into a blower is better than a turbo or turbo is better than a blower thread.
I think we have seen enough of that crap on the site already.

The down low torque from the blower would be nice, but it would be almost unuseable for me on the streets.
I drive almost 50 miles each day with my truck, sometimes as much as 400 miles to a job and back
Dealing with a trigger happy powerband would not be good for me.
Then again I've never ridden in a truck with a Radix or other blower type so I could be full of it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

anyone running the GT70 besides me? I know the difference between the 67 and 70 as far as boost was noticable. Timewise i cant tell you but you can feel it for sure, almost like Justin described.

Also has anyone experienced any problems building boost?

makani
Old 11-30-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by haynSS
anyone running the GT70 besides me? I know the difference between the 67 and 70 as far as boost was noticable. Timewise i cant tell you but you can feel it for sure, almost like Justin described.

Also has anyone experienced any problems building boost?

makani
How much boost are you running? Any other mods besides the turbo, stall? What rpm does boost start to hit hard?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

crap, i just typed out this long *** reply and it didnt connect.

k, in short now.... i was running a 12# spring but am only seeing 5-7#s now. I have a 3k stall. I have a built 408. My boost used to start @ 3500ish and full boost @4900.

I think my turbo might be on the way down again, its starting to sound like **** again. the first time it the turbo has a locked bearing and was fixed but i have a feeling the same issue is coming back.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Sucks about the bearings. On my 370 i saw full boost by 3500 with the 2800 stall.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

yeah im getting to point of possibly going back to n/a just cause of all the issues....ill talk with STS tomorrow and see what the hell is going on again!! yeah the 408 with the 67 seemed like full boost at 3200,

Quick Reply: Base STS Turbo VS GT67 upgrade?