Best Place for Mandrel Bent Steel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Zach
lol HF dies are not going to bend .065" thick tubing without kinking... sorry
well then ill just make the dies...

heres the machine i am wanting to build. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4fGn...eature=related
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
MASS seller approved

We had one of those that my brother made up, relatively easy project to do if you have moderate fab equipment (bridgeport helps). Sorry but it's not a mandrel bender though...Google images "mandrel bender" and you will see the kind of complicated machines these sweet pieces roll off of. I'd bet a good one is $200K. It has an internal die that keeps the tube from crushing as it's bent.

How thick are the mild steel log manifolds out there that have been working for everyone? Sounds like if they are too thin they can crack under the extreme heat. Has anyone tried Ceramic Coating them as well? I have seen header wrap but am not a fan for all the obvious reasons.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnmaster
We had one of those that my brother made up, relatively easy project to do if you have moderate fab equipment (bridgeport helps). Sorry but it's not a mandrel bender though...Google images "mandrel bender" and you will see the kind of complicated machines these sweet pieces roll off of. I'd bet a good one is $200K. It has an internal die that keeps the tube from crushing as it's bent.

How thick are the mild steel log manifolds out there that have been working for everyone? Sounds like if they are too thin they can crack under the extreme heat. Has anyone tried Ceramic Coating them as well? I have seen header wrap but am not a fan for all the obvious reasons.
The ones I build are Sced 40 (3/16") Thick. Never had one crack, lol. And I wrap all the ones I've installed and recommend it. The wrap will rot off before the pipe does,
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
MASS seller approved

Is it "been there done that" with something like 14ga exhaust tubing and they fail, or is the idea just to build them beefy and not worry about things like warping, cracking and rotting from the intense heat and pressure?

That's my worry with the wrap, haven't used any of the new products but most jobs you see with the old stuff it gets saggy and loose and falls apart over time like you are saying.

Wondering if 14 ga tubing ceramic coated would cut the mustard?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I've never build tube SS manifolds but the one's I have seen are fine for a while but will start cracking after repeated heat cycles. SS expands causing flex a lot more then steel which work hardens it, making it brittle and then it starts cracking. It OK for the short term, but in my experience I've never seen SS tube manifold stand up over time.

Now if you build them out of SS Sced10 (.120) or 40 (.188) pipe weld'els, then that's a different story. they are thick enough not to crack. I wrapped the aluminzed coated 14ga steel cross over tube on my first kit and after 2 years of driving it DD all year round in WY weather, the wrap was starting to fall apart, so when I pulled it, I cut the wrap off, had some light rusting, cleaned them up, repainted them with some high temp paint and wrapped them again. As far as I know they are still on the guys truck I sold that kit to.