FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

better IAT's slowing down coolant pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been reading this one as well, Justin told me about it. I am putting together a lot of variables and going to try them all out to see what works the best for my application.

Originally Posted by Lucille
What blower are you using and what pulley size?
Temps like that have to be a radix lol
Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Launching!

its a radix with a 3.0 pulley, 12 psi on a 4.8
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I researched meth results on MP112, I concluded that meth doesn't really help the MP112 IAT's. But it does have benefits, such as the added octane and/or fuel. Those can help you get more power with adding timing, or mask injectors that are too small.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am doing some MAJOR upgrading to my cooling system for my Radix. I am leaving the pump alone at this point. As Wilderacing suggests, you need to measure your coolant temps before and after the HEX or intercooler. You want the most efficient swing in temp that you can get. If you are moving the fluid too fast it will not absorb the heat, and all that heat will be going into your engine. I have some parts on order, and when I can get everything assembled I will be starting a thread about it. I am currently running water/meth injected directly before the T-body, and am not happy with the lack of results I am getting. I am considering injecting water/meth directly into the lower intake.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

One thing I found is that with my Meth setup at 1/8m my temps peak and start to drop. My IAT's are approx. 35-40 above at the end of a 1/4m run. This was all without my phenolic plate, so we will see what they do now.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. 1 inch phenolic spacer between upper and lower manifolds
2. Oversized reservoir
3. Oversized intercooler
4. Oversized heat exchanger
5. Meth spray bars in radix lower manifold
Or you could always just turn down the boost
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blwn4.8
Been reading on chevy high performance that you can slow down the current on the coolant pump and get better IAT's. Anyone know how i can do that or how they did it?

This is the article i read
Chevrolet Silverado SS Supercharged - Chevy High Performance
WOW! man that article is blast from the past. I remember dissecting that article when it came out. LOL

Originally Posted by Lucille
1. 1 inch phenolic spacer between upper and lower manifolds
2. Oversized reservoir
3. Oversized intercooler
4. Oversized heat exchanger
5. Meth spray bars in radix lower manifold
Or you could always just turn down the boost
Number 1, 4, and 5 aren't usually an option for most guys. But that larger reservoir and hXr make a big difference. Again, with the Mp112, it will end up making more of a difference in recovery times. The number 6 option is actually a viable option if you aren't getting much timing out your run due to heat. What is your timing at the start and what is your timing as you cross the trap? The meth should help you push this boundary with the octane boost. Make those kr settings more aggressive and find your kr zone.

This is probably one of the most discussed topics in here. How to get a radix temps down. LOL

get a bigger heat exchanger is the first step. Use a small radiator. Works like a champ and you didn't have to put some voltage reducer in the system and effectively opening yourself up to mechanical failures.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a question that is slightly off topic. In regards to using a 1" spacer between the upper/lower intake on MP112. What are guys doing as far as fuel rail mounting and making up that added 1" of distance between the upper/lower intake. I was looking at going with the EV1 style injector and that would make up 12MM, but what about the approximately 18MM left? Remove some material on the mounting boss on the upper intake? I know they have those 1" long injector adapters, but is that really a good way to go as far as injector efficiency? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Intercoolers require hi volume for best results.
Hx require slow flow for best results.

Intercooler is using water to absorb heat.
Hx is using air to absorb the heat.

Intercoolers are radiators in reverse.
You have to slow Water flow down to match the hx.

Running hi volume with an hx that is tiny is not giving your hx time to remove the heat you are absorbing from the blower.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

if your heat exchanger is too small, a slower flowing pump might be more beneficial. Im stepping up to a meziere 20gpm pump vs the current 6gpm however I am also getting a custom heat exchanger that is at LEAST twice as thick and a few inches wider, should work nicely.

Quick Reply: better IAT's slowing down coolant pump?