FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Blow off valve ratings for my set up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow off valve ratings for my set up?

With all the wastegate frezzing issues I've been having I need to go to a blow off valve soon.
How do you know your blow off is sized correctly for your set up with room for modding or expansion of your current set up?
Any help would be great.
Thanks!

Last edited by TG02Z71; 12-20-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Finding it kind of hard to beleive we don't any information on this.
Guess its off to the web.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

might have to go talk to some ricers, they seem to love BOV's so much that they just put turbos on there cars so they can have the sound.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A blow offf will still not halp your gate issues. As I am sure you knwo it just bleeds boost off in the plumming when the throttle blade is closed and there is manifold vacume. Usually the size of the valve can tell you about what kind of hp the valve is good for. A 38mm is good for around 500 on most units and you can go as big or bigger then 48 witch is good for around 1000 without too much of a sweet.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by duwem
might have to go talk to some ricers, they seem to love BOV's so much that they just put turbos on there cars so they can have the sound.
I was trying to avoid that. I guess I might have to cross over to the dark side.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hellbents10
A blow offf will still not halp your gate issues. As I am sure you knwo it just bleeds boost off in the plumming when the throttle blade is closed and there is manifold vacume. Usually the size of the valve can tell you about what kind of hp the valve is good for. A 38mm is good for around 500 on most units and you can go as big or bigger then 48 witch is good for around 1000 without too much of a sweet.
Thanks for the size to HP rule of thumb, it does help.
Maybe a trip over to LS1TECH is in order.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

i have a turbonetics godzilla bov on my setup.. everyone i talked to on the ls1 forums said get either that one or a tial.. hope this helps.

www.slowboyracing.com has them at a resonable price also check ebay..
Old 12-21-2005, 12:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Thanks for the size to HP rule of thumb, it does help.
Maybe a trip over to LS1TECH is in order.
there is no need for a trip anywhere. what hellbents10 told you is the way it works. a bov will not help you with any kind of over boost situation. they are not set up to blow off at a preset psi. they blow off when you let off the gas and there is a vacume in the intake manifold.

it would be best for you to figure out the over boost problem and fix it.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by parish8
there is no need for a trip anywhere. what hellbents10 told you is the way it works. a bov will not help you with any kind of over boost situation. they are not set up to blow off at a preset psi. they blow off when you let off the gas and there is a vacume in the intake manifold.

it would be best for you to figure out the over boost problem and fix it.
Oh I know what's wrong with it, its the STS piping configuration.
I got an answer from them last night about getting the new pipes that don't have the wastegate positioned under the turbo exhaust outlet letting condensation run down into the wastegate and freeze. They are replacing my pipes because of a bad ceramic plating job, but thats another story.
At least I will be getting the pipe updates.
Thanks for the clarification on the function of a BOV. I knew it would bleed off the excess pressure when you shut the throttle under boost but was not aware that it would not bleed off psi above a set pressure.
I did go luking on LS1TECH and did some searches and found allot of good info there.
There are just more f-bodies running turbos and they have been at it longer in most cases so there is a bigger data-base of info when you do a search. Looks like the TiAL bov STS offers would work fine for my set up, but maybe I could get it cheaper somewhere else.
Parish, I was going to pm you on this but I figured I'd do some more searches before buggin ya.
Thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by iwineng03ss
i have a turbonetics godzilla bov on my setup.. everyone i talked to on the ls1 forums said get either that one or a tial.. hope this helps.

www.slowboyracing.com has them at a resonable price also check ebay..
Yes it does. I appreciate the help, thanks allot.
Thanks for the link, their TiAL is $80.00 cheaper than the same one on STS's site.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 12-21-2005 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Blow off valve ratings for my set up?