FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

blower cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are people so secretive about cam specs? Ive never understood this in all the years Ive been on forums. The greatest cam specs in the world wont do you any good if the other parts of the build arent up to the task and its not like there is any reason to be super secretive about it unless youre a big street racer but even then many other factors go into your final power numbers.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Why are people so secretive about cam specs? Ive never understood this in all the years Ive been on forums. The greatest cam specs in the world wont do you any good if the other parts of the build arent up to the task and its not like there is any reason to be super secretive about it unless youre a big street racer but even then many other factors go into your final power numbers.
^^^x's 2
Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea why not share the specs?
this stuff aint top secret and i can assure you somebody else has the same cam as you
Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's a well known speed shop here in TX that I won't consider because of that secret cam bull ****. If you do buy a top secret cam and want to change it a little, you have no clue which way to go.....unless you buy their stage II super secret, undercover brother, stealth mojo special
Old 11-27-2010, 09:36 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
At what PSI range does a blower CAM really start to make a difference? If you are only running 5-6 lbs.....is there still a benefit to running a blower CAM? Or would a NA cam be a better choice? Not trying to jack the thread, just trying to understand the theory.
I think its more rpm based than boost based. Ive had the same setup with just blower cam (gt2-3), cam and blower, and then just blower with a stock cam, and the top-end just isnt there with or without the blower without the cam. The cam helps out a ton regardless of boost.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I've always figured that boosting a cam meant for FI just increases the amplitude of the curves on the dyno graph, but their characteristics stay the same. Of course it'll vary between SC/TC, but peak power and torque is still in the same spot.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Like everyone else, I love to compare cam specs and results but I can understand why some shops keep their cam specs pretty secretive. If I was a small shop and burned through dozens of cams trying to learn the best combinations, I'd be leary to post them to the world. It would be even worse with turbo cams with all th esingle pattern , reverse pattern, wide LSA, narrow LSA w/+x advance stuff. I think I'd include a non-disclosure form with every order!

Rick
Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only reason why I did not share the whole cam specs is because I had this specd out by patG and since i paid for the cam to be specd out i feel why not keep what i paid for. If however i bought an off the shelf cam, like the vinic trucker i would be more than happy to share the specs with yall. I am not trying to be secretive at all at to what my cam specs are, I just want to keep what i paid for and be respectful to the Guerra Group for their paid work and not "pirating" their business.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

ok so why not say the duration and keep lift and lsa private?
We have no idea what lobe is used so no way to copy it
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
At what PSI range does a blower CAM really start to make a difference? If you are only running 5-6 lbs.....is there still a benefit to running a blower CAM? Or would a NA cam be a better choice? Not trying to jack the thread, just trying to understand the theory.
I think it has more to do with the overlap of the valve events. NA cams with overlap allow boosted gases to escape through the exhaust valve, where Blower cams typically close the exhaust before opening the intake. But again that's just a NOOB's understanding.

Quick Reply: blower cam