FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

boost controller is in

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

are u not afraid of leaning out if you're exceding the boost level it was tuned for
Old 11-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnightrider
are u not afraid of leaning out if you're exceding the boost level it was tuned for
not concerned at all... it wasnt ever "tuned" to perfect fueling at lower boost levels. I always kept it rich breaking in a new motor etc... now that everything is settled, I'm just adding air to the fuel thats already there once it starts getting leaner than I like, I'll either add fuel or cut the boost back a touch so it sits where I want the AFR at WOT... pretty simple.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
What sort of T6 are thinking of stepping up to? What would you consider a good turbo in between a turbonetics T78/Precision T78 and something like a PT/GT88? I've been doing tons of reading and it seems like there is such a fine line in regards quick spool for response on the streets and then power up top at the strip. Also based on my reading I'm really liking your choice of 347 cubes. Less backpressure issues than say a 370, but you can still turn the wick way up and make 800+ to the tires. And you will maintain superior gas mileage to a 370. But I suppose there are worries (mine) about 347 cubes being enough to lug around a heavy truck....compromise I suppose.
I'd like to go to a bigger BW or Precision unit. The turbo I have now is probably as big as I'd go on a T4 flange because of back pressure reasons, at least with a log setup like mine, a tubular equal length design would allow more.

My small cubed setup still doesnt get great mileage. One, I cant keep my foot out of it, and two, since its low compression it has to work a little harder. Its not real snappy. If you wanted to do a 347 "street only" setup to be responsive. Build one a little over 10:1, no bigger than a 76mm, and smaller heads than what I have. Keep velocity up, and spool times down and life is good I can make about 7psi on the footbrake with my setup and full boost on the transbrake, so the instant spool/tq isnt such a concern for me I guess.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
not concerned at all... it wasnt ever "tuned" to perfect fueling at lower boost levels. I always kept it rich breaking in a new motor etc... now that everything is settled, I'm just adding air to the fuel thats already there once it starts getting leaner than I like, I'll either add fuel or cut the boost back a touch so it sits where I want the AFR at WOT... pretty simple.
now thats thinkin with your dipstick jimmie
Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

now thats thinkin with your dipstick jimmie
what do you mean by this? its completely sound theory if you know how everything works together.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you finally got her running good
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you like the controller? Looks like a nice unit for sure. Where did you end up mounting the controller?

Glad to hear that shes runnin good!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

He said he has a wide band on it and he is watching it. I dont see what you dont get here, unless you are just joking around.

If he isnt lean he isnt lean whether its tuned for 8psi or 80psi it doesnt matter as long as its got a good AFR on the wideband.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Seeing 14-15psi (jerky needle, watching too many guages LOL) as of this morning and the AFR bumps 11.6 right before the shift and falls back down to 11.3 after so I think that's where Ill keep it until I tune in more fuel. So far though it pulls like a monster! Seeing 18.5 deg timing in boost so there may be a little room to grow in that aspect. This trans just keeps feeling better and better all the time too. I plan on having my Yank loosened up to about a 3200 and I think this combo will really start to work, even considering 3.42 gears vs my 3.73s... have to wait and see I guess...
Old 11-22-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I'd like to go to a bigger BW or Precision unit. The turbo I have now is probably as big as I'd go on a T4 flange because of back pressure reasons, at least with a log setup like mine, a tubular equal length design would allow more.

My small cubed setup still doesnt get great mileage. One, I cant keep my foot out of it, and two, since its low compression it has to work a little harder. Its not real snappy. If you wanted to do a 347 "street only" setup to be responsive. Build one a little over 10:1, no bigger than a 76mm, and smaller heads than what I have. Keep velocity up, and spool times down and life is good I can make about 7psi on the footbrake with my setup and full boost on the transbrake, so the instant spool/tq isnt such a concern for me I guess.
How bad of is your gas mileage?

Quick Reply: boost controller is in