FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

boost regulator of choice ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the one i got for mine havent had a chance to use it yet but i know 2 guys with it and they love it, im gonna get a custom center console and mount the controller there as well.

http://boostcontroller.com/index.php...category%3D264
Old 11-29-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

I'm running a Turbosmart e-boost2. I little pricey but you can find used ones for $275-$350 if you look hard enough. It takes the place of a boost guage so that's almost half the cost if you are looking an Autometer electronic boost guage ($150+). It has a ton of features that I'll probably never use but it lets me set up to 6 different boost levels ( I use 3 - 10lbs, 14lbs and 18lbs). It also triggers my 2nd fuel pump (no need for a hobbs) at any preset boost level (I have it set to 5lbs). If I ever add a little NOS shot, it will also work as a window switch to control the min and max RPM.

If you have traction issues, you can set boost level by gear or you can change the rate at which the wastegate opens to soften the bottom end for traction.

Not the easiest boost controller to set up but once you watch all the youtube install videos, it's actually pretty easy.

Rick
Old 11-29-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

used hallman for a while now using turbonetics billet controller. like the turbonetics better. 1 click is 1/2 # boost.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rick_Vor
I'm running a Turbosmart e-boost2. I little pricey but you can find used ones for $275-$350 if you look hard enough. It takes the place of a boost guage so that's almost half the cost if you are looking an Autometer electronic boost guage ($150+). It has a ton of features that I'll probably never use but it lets me set up to 6 different boost levels ( I use 3 - 10lbs, 14lbs and 18lbs). It also triggers my 2nd fuel pump (no need for a hobbs) at any preset boost level (I have it set to 5lbs). If I ever add a little NOS shot, it will also work as a window switch to control the min and max RPM.

If you have traction issues, you can set boost level by gear or you can change the rate at which the wastegate opens to soften the bottom end for traction.

Not the easiest boost controller to set up but once you watch all the youtube install videos, it's actually pretty easy.

Rick
Are you using this to control your meth pump too?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sureshot
Are you using this to control your meth pump too?
You could if you were running a Stage 1 style, non-progressive meth kit. I have an Alky kit so I'm using his trigger box.

Rick
Old 11-29-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

You could if you were running a Stage 1 style, non-progressive meth kit. I have an Alky kit so I'm using his trigger box.

Rick
Is it necessary to have a progressive meth kit with a turbo? I'm running my meth progressively, but the procharger also produces boost linearly. I would think with a turbo carrying a set amount of boost to redline, it would be less necessary to run meth progressively. I could be completely wrong though.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Is it necessary to have a progressive meth kit with a turbo? I'm running my meth progressively, but the procharger also produces boost linearly. I would think with a turbo carrying a set amount of boost to redline, it would be less necessary to run meth progressively. I could be completely wrong though.
I think it's just easier to tune a progressive vs. a non-progressive on any FI application. If I was running a dual nozzle, non-progressive kit and I wanted to run 15-18lbs of boost, I would have to hold off turning it on until say 10lbs so I wouldn't overload <10lbs situations. Meth at lower boost lets me run more timing so I'd also have to pull more timing when <10 lbs.

A good tuner could pull enough fuel for low boost situations if you wanted your non-progressive kit to come on earlier. It would definetely make for a very simple Meth kit if you used an eBoost 2 to turn on it on. All you would need is a tank, a pump, a nozzle w/tubing and a relay.

Rick
Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

I think it's just easier to tune a progressive vs. a non-progressive on any FI application. If I was running a dual nozzle, non-progressive kit and I wanted to run 15-18lbs of boost, I would have to hold off turning it on until say 10lbs so I wouldn't overload <10lbs situations. Meth at lower boost lets me run more timing so I'd also have to pull more timing when <10 lbs.

A good tuner could pull enough fuel for low boost situations if you wanted your non-progressive kit to come on earlier. It would definetely make for a very simple Meth kit if you used an eBoost 2 to turn on it on. All you would need is a tank, a pump, a nozzle w/tubing and a relay.

Rick
I guess it would be asking a little much for the e-boost2 to run a progressive meth setup as well! Just out of curiousity, when does your meth start spraying and when is it full spray? Thanks for the info Rick Vor, and sorry for the hijack OP!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

I guess it would be asking a little much for the e-boost2 to run a progressive meth setup as well! Just out of curiousity, when does your meth start spraying and when is it full spray? Thanks for the info Rick Vor, and sorry for the hijack OP!
It might be able to! There is a way to relate the boost level to RPM so I'll have to look deeper into the manual.

My Alky Control kit is set to start spraying at 5lbs and hits 100% by 15lbs.

At least this hijack will give the OP some semi-valuable info regarding electronic boost controllers and progressive vs non-progressive Meth kits.

To the OP: Take a look at the Turbosmart manual controllers. They have the normal single stage controller and a dual stage version that lets you set two differecnt boost levels that you can change with a flick of a switch.

Rick
Old 11-30-2011, 11:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm using the HKS EVC-VI here very pricey but i love the digital read out and pretty simple to setup and easy to see excactly what your max peak boost is each time you go WOT

Quick Reply: boost regulator of choice ?