FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Bov and wastegate install

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bov and wastegate install

I been doin research on my wastegate and bov on how to install them.. The bov has 2 vacume ports and so does the wastegate. one is on top and the other one is angled down.. If i blow air into the side that is angled down.. the valve opens. on top.. nothing... So im am asking.. do i hook only one of the ports on both of them and where.. I am running a manual boost controller.. Maybe thiss will help so u can see what i got.
Name:  Wastegate.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  26.5 KB
Name:  BOV.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  9.7 KB

Last edited by ONLYA4.8L; 01-23-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blow off valve is just referenced off the intake

Wastegate with manual controller goes like this. For a front mount, the top port of the wastegate is vented to the atmosphere, the bottom port goes to wastegate side of controller, and other side of controller has hose coming off of it, to the fitting on the cold side of the turbo
Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a rear mount you can do yours like mine, and it works perfect. Just let me know if you have a rear mount and ill give you a heads up on how I did mine
Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is a front mount
Name:  itsin.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  88.0 KB
Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the lower port on the wastegate to the controller then to the compressor side and the bov.. to the intake side only.. just leave the top port be..
Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah just let the top port vent, maybe a short tube just to vent it to the atmosphere
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what??? that's weird i have never seen one hooked up like that. most have the bottom port to intake or turbo outlet. i use intake so you get true intake pressure reference. the top goes from intake to controller to top port. the bottom hose will apply open pressure to push the valve open. the top port from controller will apply added closing force making the wastegate spring seem bigger to the open force.

so say you have a 10 pound spring. the bottom port will take about ten psi to start to open the valve. now say you want 15psi of boost. the controller will apply 5psi to the top port. now the bottom port will need 15psi to start to open the valve.

as for the bov it depend on what style it is. mine has two port on it. top goes to intake bottom goes to charge pipe prior to throttle body. by doing this when you are in boost the valve will have equal pressure on both sides and only the spring will hold it shut. if you start to close the TB the pressure difference will open the valve. more difference more open. if its only a pull type ie one hole. you hook it straight to intake manifold.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 01-24-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4.8T
what??? that's weird i have never seen one hooked up like that. most have the bottom port to intake or turbo outlet. i use intake so you get true intake pressure reference. the top goes from intake to controller to top port. the bottom hose will apply open pressure to push the valve open. the top port from controller will apply added closing force making the wastegate spring seem bigger to the open force.

so say you have a 10 pound spring. the bottom port will take about ten psi to start to open the valve. now say you want 15psi of boost. the controller will apply 5psi to the top port. now the bottom port will need 15psi to start to open the valve.

as for the bov it depend on what style it is. mine has two port on it. top goes to intake bottom goes to charge pipe prior to throttle body. by doing this when you are in boost the valve will have equal pressure on both sides and only the spring will hold it shut. if you start to close the TB the pressure difference will open the valve. more difference more open. if its only a pull type ie one hole. you hook it straight to intake manifold.
I am just quoting what the small disk from Turbosmart said because I of course don't have a front mount and assumed that the directions from TS would be fairly accurate. On my rear mount I have the top port of my WG vented to the atmosphere, bottom port goes to WG side of controller, other side of controller references off the intake. damn
Old 01-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by duckysbht
I am just quoting what the small disk from Turbosmart said because I of course don't have a front mount and assumed that the directions from TS would be fairly accurate. On my rear mount I have the top port of my WG vented to the atmosphere, bottom port goes to WG side of controller, other side of controller references off the intake. damn
that is what TS calls for.
. Once you have maxed out your boost controller in that config. You would vent the bottom port and start appling pressure to the top port. And your TS manual controll then works in reverse to the instructions. as far as the **** goes.
. TS rates their psi setting by taken the spring + reference lower port. If you loose your hose completely you should have a higher psi number then the spring says its rated for.
each mfg does their instructions a little different.

Quick Reply: Bov and wastegate install