FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Building a turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a turbo kit?

Hey guys, I was recently thinking of building my turbo kit over time instead of buying one as a whole. Only problem is, is that I'm not sure how reliable these ebay parts are. I wanted to buy everything, but the turbo and wastegate off ebay seeing as it's cheap and other people on here swear by these parts. My question is anyone who has had experience with this, and I mean you've had the parts for quite some time and tend to beat on then when needed please post your results and experiences. Also if you could link me, what you have used and tell me what to stay away from that'd be great!

Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of us use eBay intercoolers, they work pretty well and are cheap. I have one but its not on yet. As for the turbo, most people stick with a name brand but some have used China eBay turbo's successfully. Search on LS1tech for eBay turbo, you'll find a lot.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

I'm mainly concerned with overheating and parts failing. I plan on sticking with a name brand turbo, but will it all fit universally together?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

im not sure what you're expecting from these parts but "universal" is a pretty broad term. So, will universal parts directly fit your project? No. Can you MAKE them fit? yes. So if ur fab skill are not up to par, i would say save your money and get something you know will work. But if u got some skills and wanna try something new, give it a try.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you looking at an eBay turbo KIT? If so, I'm fairly certain that they are not direct-fit, they still require much fabrication. You would be better off with the KB or Trick kit, they are pretty affordable and high quality.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

I'll make this easier to understand. A few of my buddies have built their own turbo kits and told me that it was a lot cheaper than buying a complete kit. They have taken all ebay parts for their vehicles excluding things such as a turbo and waste gate. I'm new to turbos so what I'm asking from you guys is recommendations on what turbo company I should look into for the turbo and the waste gate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after talking to my buddies last night off the top of my head they said this is what I need:
Intercooler/Piping, boots,clamps, etc..
Waste gate
BOV
Exhaust manifold
Turbo
Injectors

and lastly I have to swap the trans. to a 4L80E

If you guys have any recommendations on what I should use also maybe what you or someone you know uses and could give me an idea on where to get started that'd be great. I want to start piecing this together as soon as possible.

I'm trying to get anywhere from 550-600hp to the wheels, I'll go for more if I know it doesn't require any major changes.

Sorry making this difficult guys,
Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Launching!

How much are you looking to spend on the whole "kit"?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Talk to this guy. Just did this same thing...... Here is his build thread.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...t-more-491848/
Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

KB and Trick sell nice full kits, or you can buy specific parts from them like the hot pipes, cold pipes, manifold, etc. I bought my cold pipes, intercooler, and BOV from a member on here, hot pipes, manifold, and wastegate from KB, and the rest I'm piecing together.

Magnum makes nice affordable turbos. You will want a 70-76mm for that power.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

read quite of few ls1tech guys w/ ebay turbo builds w/ success. would i no, not to say you can't make reliable hp w/it. pm kbracing or trick there kits are cheaper than most guys think and use better parts.

Quick Reply: Building a turbo kit?