FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Building a turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kode-x-kustoms
How much are you looking to spend on the whole "kit"?
I don't exactly know, some of the kits I've seen like the trick kit was 3300 at stage 2. Like I said I'm really new to this and it seemed like piecing it together would have been the cheaper choice.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
Talk to this guy. Just did this same thing...... Here is his build thread.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...t-more-491848/
Thanks I'll contact him
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
KB and Trick sell nice full kits, or you can buy specific parts from them like the hot pipes, cold pipes, manifold, etc. I bought my cold pipes, intercooler, and BOV from a member on here, hot pipes, manifold, and wastegate from KB, and the rest I'm piecing together.

Magnum makes nice affordable turbos. You will want a 70-76mm for that power.
I'll look into Kb and those magnum turbos, I've seen the trick kits and I was pretty impressed with them. I was looking at the 76mm like you mentioned, but since you seem to know quite a bit about this. Do you know what type of injectors I would need to use?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Honesty it would be much easier to just buy a trick or KB racing kit. They are proven kits, I have one I'm looking to sell if you want send me a pm and I'll work you a deal on it.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My intercooler, wastegate, BOV, hot and cold pipes/flanges etc all came from ebay. I think I have about $3k into my build and that includes fueling and all of the other little odds and ends that will nickel and dime you to death.

I know most guys say go with the 76mm but if you're looking for 500 or so to the wheels a 70mm should fit the bill. I'm running a 70mm now and plan to hit the dyno soon, hope for over 500rwhp. The plus side is you can snag a used low mile 70mm from a forum member who is upgrading. Cheaper yet and you still have a good turbo.

If you've got some patience and more time then $, I dont see anything wrong with a flipped manifold kit and building your own hot pipes. I think mine cost about $250 and all I used was a welder, sawzall and a grinder.

My build thread has a parts list with prices of what I used and where I got it from. I splurged on some items and think it could be done even cheaper if you wanted.

They can be made to look just as good as a premade bolt on kit: (no pic *****)

Name:  IMG_20111106_155211.jpg
Views: 2551
Size:  137.1 KB
Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

We built my last turbo kit from nothing but eBay parts. I'm talkin turbo, bov, wastegate, intercooler, EVERYTHING from eBay. And then had sweat our ***** off in the HOT weather fabricating the kit.

I only saved about $800 building my own versus the new one I just bought from TRICK. With TRICK I got a better turbo, better wastegate, better intercooler and better bov.

My time and the fact I didn't have to sweat my ***** off fabricating is worth WAY MORE than the $800 I saved building my own kit. JMO
Old 06-22-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need 60-80# injectors. Here is a good calculator:

Fuel Injector Calculator from WitchHunter Performance

I have the same goals as you and got 60/72# 3/4bar injectors, which according to that calculator are good for 590-650 rwhp at 80% duty cycle.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverado Street Machine
I don't exactly know, some of the kits I've seen like the trick kit was 3300 at stage 2. Like I said I'm really new to this and it seemed like piecing it together would have been the cheaper choice.
Stage 2 kit is 3000.00
Stage 3 kit is 3300.00

Originally Posted by Phantom
We built my last turbo kit from nothing but eBay parts. I'm talking turbo, bov, wastegate, intercooler, EVERYTHING from eBay. And then had sweat our ***** off in the HOT weather fabricating the kit.

I only saved about $800 building my own versus the new one I just bought from TRICK. With TRICK I got a better turbo, better wastegate, better intercooler and better bov.

My time and the fact I didn't have to sweat my ***** off fabricating is worth WAY MORE than the $800 I saved building my own kit. JMO
Thanks.

Always glad to read when customers appreciate the deal we supply to them. We try very very hard to give our customers the best kit at the best price possible and still be able to keep the doors open.
Our kits use the magnum turbo, precision waste gate (comes with 5 springs), and the RPS 50mm blow-off. STainless steel hot piping, aluminum cold piping and looks really clean installed on the trucks.

Ebay stuff some works some don't, it really depends on what you want. I had a customer send me his ebay gate, looked really really nice. Then after a little run time the valve rusted and stuck in the guide. IF you get Ebay stuff check it out prior to installing it. make sure it moves and comes with a Stainless steel valve. If its steel, it will rust, it will get stuck and you will be chasing a problem.

If there is anything I can help you with on your build like flanges, etc, please let me know.

Rick
Old 06-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Import Moderator

Last time I checked the non intercooled Trick kit was $2,400!!! Not even worth logging in to eGay to see if you can even come close to touching that kit when these guys already have proven setups all across the boards made specifically for our trucks

I respect a good ole homemade kit just as much as the next guy.. however, Trick and KB can build these things in their sleep lol. Plus from what I have read, customer service is above and beyond (won't see that with an eGay kit). Imo its just not worth the $600 that you might save if you're lucky, with inferior parts.

order > install > enjoy
Just my $.02
Old 06-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

I know it sounds like everyone is trying to talk you out of building your own kit, but there's good reasoning behind it. you definitely can save money by doing it yourself but that can be a skill all in itself. I'm just finishing up a homemade turbo kit for my vw gti and i have wasted a pile of money on little things here and there on things that were wrong, or i i didnt need, or i had to buy twice because i wrecked it and so on. i wish someone made a kit that well priced for me. Im fairly happy with how it looks but its very time consuming and i dont know how reliable its going to be.... i think what everyone is getting at is that if you're new to turbo's and builds like that, its nice to have a kit where someone has done some R&D and you know its going to make good power and be reliable. so maybe you could possibly save 500-1000 bucks but if u dont like how it turns out, you're a couple thousand in the hole and u still end up buying a kit.