FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Bullet style intercooler set up build

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
TGO, just a note about ruuning the a/c at the track. Thats a big no no. The condensation will get you booted off the track. I considered an air to water until I realized you can't run the air at the track. Decided to go with a big air-air unit.
I think if I get some type of pan or device to catch the condensation dripping, it will not be apparent what I'm doing, nor will I be running the AC at the line, maybe while waiting to get to the burnout box but after that no way.
Funny how they have a water puddle for burnouts, but a few drips from the AC...whatever.
I used to go to the strip all the time with my superbike and I always hated the cars, they were always the ones blowing up and oiling the track.
Funny how now I'm on the other side oif things in that aspect.

Thanks for the heads up man.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to PWR's performance and if you look at the "Ice Barrel" The tubes look to be around 3/8" if that helps.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Launching!

JZ 97 SS 1500- When you used one did it not cool very much, or did it make too much of a boost drop.

That may give some idea of which directio to head compared to PWR.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sliderbkt
I went to PWR's performance and if you look at the "Ice Barrel" The tubes look to be around 3/8" if that helps.
Thanks for the link, I want to make a tank like that sitting up front that the coolant circulates through with copper piping coil inside. That would make running it through the AC exchanger a moot point.
Not a tank for air, just coolant. i don't need to be making more charge pipes than I have to.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would definitely put an intake air temperature sensor and guage on your truck and watch it in realtime before even considering what you need for an intercooler, are you sure you even need one? and if so how much do you need to cool the air down, you have to set up your variables before you can solve the equations....
round tubing definitely flows better than square, maybe in that application it helped in other thing
as far as the AC, you can figure out a way to catch that condensation,
its pretty much set that thats an awsome way to cool your air
as far as my signature and current state of my truck, I'm in college, so I have no money, only knowledge that I will put to use once the paychecks start coming in and the loans are paid off
Old 05-12-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sliderbkt
JZ 97 SS 1500- When you used one did it not cool very much, or did it make too much of a boost drop.

That may give some idea of which directio to head compared to PWR.
Their site says a 1.1psi pressure drop accross the IC @7psi, but it doesn't say what length unit that is. That's a huge drop if it's one of their little ones.

You were speaking of using flatened tubes, but I'm not sure if you meant square or rectangle tubes. I would stray away from them, because you'll get huge Re # spikes in the corners at that flow rate. I think you're heading in the right direction with this project, and using the AC to chill the water for short bursts is a great idea. The cold condensation water produced can easily be collected into a catch can. You might be able to introduce into the system too, which would be advantageous, because it's already cold.

Just realize, the more you increase the SA, more heat transfer will take place, but at the expense of pressure drop. Nothing in life is free, and all IC's and most heat exchangers for that matter experience this. You might want to consider making this thing expandable via the length. That way you could tune it.

What wall thickness are the 3/8" ID tubes BTW?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have my fluids final next wednesday night...then I get to drive this:

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Formula%20Sae/

build by myself and 3 other students in a years time frame....oh ya, and its a 600cc honda F2 that WE put fuel injection on, tuned intake, tuned tri-y headers, custom drivetrain(my main project,chain drive to limited slip to custom cv axles, duel outboard brakes) independent suspension....so yes I do know a thing or two or 100, try building a race car from scratch and then you can say I'm clueless cuz i dont have money to put into my truck
Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by duwem
I would definitely put an intake air temperature sensor and guage on your truck and watch it in realtime before even considering what you need for an intercooler, are you sure you even need one? and if so how much do you need to cool the air down, you have to set up your variables before you can solve the equations....
round tubing definitely flows better than square, maybe in that application it helped in other thing
as far as the AC, you can figure out a way to catch that condensation,
its pretty much set that thats an awsome way to cool your air
as far as my signature and current state of my truck, I'm in college, so I have no money, only knowledge that I will put to use once the paychecks start coming in and the loans are paid off

I have a Predator that I can see in real time IATs.
Watched it many times last summer rise over 180 degrees when ambient was over 80 deg F.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 05-12-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Their site says a 1.1psi pressure drop accross the IC @7psi, but it doesn't say what length unit that is. That's a huge drop if it's one of their little ones.

You were speaking of using flatened tubes, but I'm not sure if you meant square or rectangle tubes. I would stray away from them, because you'll get huge Re # spikes in the corners at that flow rate. I think you're heading in the right direction with this project, and using the AC to chill the water for short bursts is a great idea. The cold condensation water produced can easily be collected into a catch can. You might be able to introduce into the system too, which would be advantageous, because it's already cold.

Just realize, the more you increase the SA, more heat transfer will take place, but at the expense of pressure drop. Nothing in life is free, and all IC's and most heat exchangers for that matter experience this. You might want to consider making this thing expandable via the length. That way you could tune it.

What wall thickness are the 3/8" ID tubes BTW?

Not flat square cornered tubes. More like a slot shape on the end if that helps you picture it better. Or picture this, a round tube compressed longitudinally to create a flattened tube. Did I spell that right?!?!?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
I think if I get some type of pan or device to catch the condensation dripping, it will not be apparent what I'm doing, nor will I be running the AC at the line, maybe while waiting to get to the burnout box but after that no way.
Funny how they have a water puddle for burnouts, but a few drips from the AC...whatever.
I used to go to the strip all the time with my superbike and I always hated the cars, they were always the ones blowing up and oiling the track.
Funny how now I'm on the other side oif things in that aspect.

Thanks for the heads up man.
I went to the track last summer. Got there 2 hours before racing started. Made a couple of passes and then they saw something and kicked me out off line. Turns out it was condensation from the AC. Almost 3 hours had passed since I used it last.

Quick Reply: Bullet style intercooler set up build