FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

A/C Evaporator to cool intake charge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006 | 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Why not put a 2000w inverter in your truck and plug a freezer into it (one that wont overload your inverter). Then build a 2 gallon reservoir tank in the freezer or possibly coils (or both) to keep the coolant cold, but not frozen as it flows in and out of the freezer and into the A2W intercooler. Hook up a toggle switch to the inverter so you can turn it on and off so it wont burden your alternator when your racing.

You're not too far off! I'm running a stand alone setup very similar to what you're describing, but it's not a freezer exactly. I'm interested in making some for production, but I'm not sure if the demand is out there. I know a Radix could benifit from it and being that they already have an A2W setup, it'd be an easy add on. I'm still refining my design and I have a revision that I'm getting ready to build in the next couple weeks that should flow quite well.

As per duner's idea with the factory A/C system, that works too and it's a lot more cost effective. I've been ran around in the heat here for awhile this summer using the factory system to chill water. Although I'm not experiencing below ambient IAT's at the end of a run with this setup, it's worked quite well IMO. The down side is you have to have the A/C on, which most tracks don't like and you won't have a heater in the winter. Some perf. cars don't even have A/C so it's not an option for them either.

Space would be a concern in a little-*** Fox. It'll limit you on what size reservoir and coils/heat exchangers you can run. What kind of room do you have in and under that thing and are you willing to give some of it up?
Old 08-21-2006 | 03:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

Todd, if the price is decent I'll be wanting one. High IAT's during the summer suck ***.
Old 08-21-2006 | 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
You're not too far off! I'm running a stand alone setup very similar to what you're describing, but it's not a freezer exactly. I'm interested in making some for production, but I'm not sure if the demand is out there. I know a Radix could benifit from it and being that they already have an A2W setup, it'd be an easy add on. I'm still refining my design and I have a revision that I'm getting ready to build in the next couple weeks that should flow quite well.

As per duner's idea with the factory A/C system, that works too and it's a lot more cost effective. I've been ran around in the heat here for awhile this summer using the factory system to chill water. Although I'm not experiencing below ambient IAT's at the end of a run with this setup, it's worked quite well IMO. The down side is you have to have the A/C on, which most tracks don't like and you won't have a heater in the winter. Some perf. cars don't even have A/C so it's not an option for them either.

Space would be a concern in a little-*** Fox. It'll limit you on what size reservoir and coils/heat exchangers you can run. What kind of room do you have in and under that thing and are you willing to give some of it up?
Well, see what i get for trying to be funny? I get a serious bidder..LOL. I thought it sounded pretty good too until i got to the power issue, i think a fridge or freezer id gonna really pull some watts/amps, especially when the compressor (in the freezer) kicks on. As far as room...well i got basically none what-so-ever unless you wanna run the lines back to the bed. This big *** 496 doesnt leave much room for expansion at all. I could pour a duffle bag full of quarters into the engine bay and only about .75 cents would hit the ground. You can buy my patent if you like...i will seel it to you cheap...
Old 08-21-2006 | 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Question, If you already have a air/water cooler, would it be more cost effective too set up a larger water tank, and radiator. We all have trucks and trucks can haul weight with out effecting the perf. much. So lets say you set up a 10gal. tank under the truck, and an effect size raditor in the front. Would you have a more consistant temperature maybe not as cold, but for the long haul? And if 10gallons is not enough make it bigger. It will take a long time to heat that amount water up, even without the raditor. So on a 100 degree day if your air temps would stay at 100 degrees I think that would be better.
Now I am not talking drag racing, more ever day usage.
As far as the tank holding cold water, the water in the core is going to keep getting hotter and hotter unless you are circulating the water, which means your cold water tank is having warm water applied.
Not saying it does not work just thinking now.
?when and where is truck week.?
Ricky

Hell yes, maybe throw a cooling tower in the back too.... . Its funny cause it would work.
Old 08-21-2006 | 04:17 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
This big *** 496 doesnt leave much room for expansion at all. I could pour a duffle bag full of quarters into the engine bay and only about .75 cents would hit the ground.
Thats good I like that.
Old 08-21-2006 | 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

space is not a issue...supprizingly the engine is longitudional like our trucks even though it is front wheel drive. There is a ring and pinion diff in the tranny that makes it a front wheel driver.
Most people I have talked to say the A/C unit wont be big enough to do any good.
What I was thinking was getting an air to water intercooler(think Parish's) and run the freon Rwhatever thru that in place of water.
Old 08-21-2006 | 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Water to water might work, because you can cool the water in the reservoir with the A/C the whole time the engine is running. Freon to air won't work, because you need all of the BTUs at once. You might need a compressor as big as your engine.
Old 08-21-2006 | 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I've toyed with the idea of using an air to refrigerant hx, but for the reasons stated above and the fact that you would need a huge hx, which would create a lot of pressure drop, I never went through with it. The numbers just didn't add up, even with R404a. I didn't like the possiblity of condensation forming on the coil and having it blow onto the MAF or even into the engine either.