FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

catch can???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Because you letting in "Un-metered" air into the intake post MAF.. So your Maf is measuring a certain amount of air to use for the Fuel equation, but your allowing more air to come into the intake via the breathers that the maf is not seeing so your airflow calculations will be off...

basically you just made a vacuum leak.
shouldn't cause a vacuum leak if you no longer run vacuum to the valve covers.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

I'm running 3/4" internal size hoses from both valve covers to a catch can w/KN filter. I know when I added it, Rick from Synergy said he will have to tune for the "leak" it causes.

I haven't had any problem with blowby since I added the can. Only issue I have is you can occasionally smell the oil in the cab after getting on it hard or when you initially shut the eingine off. I am going to pull the KN filter and run a hose to the base of one of the turbo's air filter. That way the turbo will suck up the oil fumes and they won't linger into the cab.

I used a can off eBay that ran about $70. Nicely built. All the hoses, clamps and fittings are from the Hardware store. I'll pm a link to you.

Rick
Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by t_thall
shouldn't cause a vacuum leak if you no longer run vacuum to the valve covers.
if you don't run vacuum to the valve covers, then what is the purpose of the catch can????

My point is your introducing un-metered air into the intake, which is what a vacuum leak does...
Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

any idea where that is on a radix?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put a simple catch on mine last fall. One of the air line filter looking things. Works fine. The big surprise after doing it was the KR I randomly got while cruising around went away. Guessing that it would suck the occasional oil drop and detonate.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Launching!

if you don't run vacuum to the valve covers, then what is the purpose of the catch can????

My point is your introducing un-metered air into the intake, which is what a vacuum leak does...
It is just vented to atmosphere, can still catches any crud that makes it's way out instead of puking it on the engine or ground. so with no vacuum going to the valve covers there shouldn't be any unmetered air coming into the intake.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Because you letting in "Un-metered" air into the intake post MAF.. So your Maf is measuring a certain amount of air to use for the Fuel equation, but your allowing more air to come into the intake via the breathers that the maf is not seeing so your airflow calculations will be off...

basically you just made a vacuum leak.
how is air from my valve covers putting more air to the intake??? My intake is plugged off where the PCV once was.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by therock
I run an Accurate Machine works can on my 05. No check valve as they started using a fixed oriface in 03 or 04. I get a 1/4 cup every month or so.
when you say fixed orifice you mean it flows both ways right?

us turbo guys running vacuum to the valve covers need a check valve in the way, if not the boost will blow back in. the older trucks it was OK it had a check valve stock. but the newer truck like my 04 Tahoe you can blow right back into the valve cover. i tried it to see it flows both ways with ease.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
how is air from my valve covers putting more air to the intake??? My intake is plugged off where the PCV once was.
What pulls vacuum to your catch can if your intake is capped off?

My orginal statement above was meant if you run a Normal catch can setup which your PCV hose goes into your catch can then your catch can into your intake.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by t_thall
It is just vented to atmosphere, can still catches any crud that makes it's way out instead of puking it on the engine or ground. so with no vacuum going to the valve covers there shouldn't be any unmetered air coming into the intake.
Are you running your pcv hose to your intake? If you keep the passenger side of the valve cover vented to atmosphere and have a normal PCV setup, they you are introducing unmetered air...

Quick Reply: catch can???