FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

COLD WEATHER???disadvantage

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:35 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is taken from the STS site which was comparing turbo's to SC, some of it can be considered biased, but keep in mind that this info came from a centrifugal supercharger's website...according to the post...

FROM STS SITE:
Here's some additional information from a centrifugal supercharger's website:
1. The vehicle MUST be at operating temperatures BEFORE full throttle runs or immediate supercharger failure can occur.
2. The vehicle MUST be stored in heated garage and/or engine must have engine block heater at or below 25 degrees F or immediate supercharger failure can occur.
3. Clean supercharger oil inlet fitting every 3,000 miles
4. Excessive belt tension can cause supercharger or crankshaft bearing failure. No manufacturer settings are provided as to what the correct belt tension should be.

If you want to read the whole thing here is the link...http://www.ststurbo.com/centrifugal
Hope this helps, but I'd honestly go with people's past experience, if Gao8302 is saying his is running in -25 then ****, I'd go for it too.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin

FROM STS SITE:
Here's some additional information from a centrifugal supercharger's website:
1. The vehicle MUST be at operating temperatures BEFORE full throttle runs or immediate supercharger failure can occur.
2. The vehicle MUST be stored in heated garage and/or engine must have engine block heater at or below 25 degrees F or immediate supercharger failure can occur.
3. Clean supercharger oil inlet fitting every 3,000 miles
4. Excessive belt tension can cause supercharger or crankshaft bearing failure. No manufacturer settings are provided as to what the correct belt tension should be.

I wonder what POS s/c that is they are talking about? I have the Magnuson Radix and although it doesn't get super cold here I have had it sit overnight in freezing temps, I've stomped on it while the engine was still cold, it still has the original oil in it after almost 3 years, and basically I have not babied it at all and it still runs great. Me thinks STS went hunting for the wussiest s/c they could find so they could make their kit look good by comparison. What I say is a QUALITY f/i kit from a REPUTABLE vendor should hold up to all the rigors of everyday driving. But as always, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:20 PM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
I wonder what POS s/c that is they are talking about? I have the Magnuson Radix and although it doesn't get super cold here I have had it sit overnight in freezing temps, I've stomped on it while the engine was still cold, it still has the original oil in it after almost 3 years, and basically I have not babied it at all and it still runs great. Me thinks STS went hunting for the wussiest s/c they could find so they could make their kit look good by comparison. What I say is a QUALITY f/i kit from a REPUTABLE vendor should hold up to all the rigors of everyday driving. But as always, you get what you pay for.
Oh I absolutely agree! Like I said you have to take it from it's source and it came from a turbo company comparing turbo's to SC to make their product look better. I asked myself what SC company they had gotten this info from too. But in any case like I mentioned before what count's are people's testimonials such as yours and gao8302. If they've been proven to work in the cold...then they work. Everybody on this site doesn't abide by guidlines, warning labels, safety rules and posted signs anyways.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Mine has logged numerous miles in -10 to 5 degree weather after sitting outside all nite. No issues at all. The blower is a little louder when it first starts up and is cold but, other then that it acts just like it does when the temps are in the 80's.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No issues here and we have seen a lot of -40* lows the last 2 weeks.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:42 PM
GFYS and STFU

Holy crap man...I think you should head south a little bit and come to warmer weather...It was 85* a couple days ago in SoCal! I'll even give you a place to stay!! LOL
Old 02-10-2007, 12:00 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Holy crap man...I think you should head south a little bit and come to warmer weather...It was 85* a couple days ago in SoCal! I'll even give you a place to stay!! LOL
Wouldn't mind a little more "global warming."

Let's see.......... 85+40/18=7 psi of extra boost. And nice IATs. Not much traction at -40 though.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:41 AM
GFYS and STFU

Originally Posted by DrX
Wouldn't mind a little more "global warming."

Let's see.......... 85+40/18=7 psi of extra boost. And nice IATs. Not much traction at -40 though.
LOL, yeah I can't imagine it's any fun finding traction on black ice! Although because of the global warming we did get some snow in Malibu last month...this global warming is starting to get messy!