Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Send Dusty a PM
too late, already gone.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Z71
So who is going to try it on there truck???....lol
I heard rumors that there is a compound setup in the works on here, but I don't know who it is...

I think parish is right though. It's not for making peak power, as I feel the same way. The peak numbers will be slightly less then a big turbo alone, but the blower "should" increase the bottom end ALOT and help to spool the turbo up faster. One will help the other, first getting the turbo up and spooled with the extra air flow from the blower and then with top end air flow with he turbo over what the blower could do on its own. The power under the curve will be much greater and should make for a much faster "street" setup in something with traction.

The only still unknown to me is the affect on the blower having to "suck" though the intercooler and turbo to get its first breath of air when you first go WOT until the turbo get some spool. I know blowers don't like inlet restrictions.

Last edited by kbracing96; 02-12-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Just do it already... LOL
Kyle go ahead and bite the bullet, set the truck up with twins and a 2300.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
Just do it already... LOL
Kyle go ahead and bite the bullet, set the truck up with twins and a 2300.
Twins AND a 2300 on a 5.7?!?!?! HAHAHA, I don't think it would take 30psi of boost
Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You couldn't/shouldn't intercool post turbo and pre-blower. That would be nice, but you're right, a positive displacement blower does not like inlet restrictions. By the same token, a blower doesn't like an exhaust restrictions either, which a turbo provides. You'd need to run meth then since the Radix IC is not up to the task of cooling air from compounding sources.

With that said, the dynamics of the fuel/air/exhaust needs to be understood before a determination can be made.

What kind of cam does Hellion use? I'm thinking that with any significant overlap, you'd have huge reversion effects due to everything backing up in the turbine. I don't know though, because the added help of the blower might help push everything through.

Did that article include a boost vs. rpm graph? That would help a lot. I also think doing the tests on a free spin dyno was a waste of time. Typical HRM.

There's no doubt though that twin charging can make big power, but I think it comes in the form of high boost levels achieved at lower rpms. Not necessarily from the compounding of boost.

Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Delta_S4
Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Teching In

AS SOON as I finish up my rear mount then I will try it, I need a reason for the 6.0 swap! (woman says can't replace til it's broke)
Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I was reading that I thought something sounded off. To do that test and not do it on a load bearing chassis dyno or an engine dyno seems likey they only did it to make the numbers really shine. On an engine dyno the twins without the blower would have likely made the same or more by actually getting them spooled. On a Mustang chassis dyno even the turbo's would have spooled and made the boost much earlier making the numbers very close. At the track where you'd be pre-loading on the converter before launching and getting full boost early on I don't think the twins would be slower at all. On top of that past the first 100 feet or so there would be no gain from the blower.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
single digit dreamer

zip. i think on any really big turbo set up especialy with smallish cubes like 4.6L the compound boost will help a fair amount. spooling 1000+hp worth of turbo on a 4.6L can not be easy. hell with a 408 it took a little time.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I didn't see that it was a 4.6L. That does make some sense. No wonder the turbo's took so long to spool.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

The only adavantage to this setup I think is to break parts twice as fast!

Quick Reply: compound turbo/super charger results from hotrod