FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Considering FI for my 05 Sierra Denali

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering FI for my 05 Sierra Denali

A couple hours with Google sent me here. I had no idea there was a sight for truck performance with this caliber of friendly assistance.

I have to make a decision within the next few days. I usually buy a new truck every two or three years, and I usually look forward to doing just that. Well this time I’m vexed. The only other truck I’m interested in is a new SD with AWD and the 6.2 with VVT. This would normally be a no-brainer and I’d just buy the truck and put the one I currently have up for sale. Well this time I am having difficulty with the thought of parting with my 05. I really like this truck! I need to make up my mind quickly because I’d like to get the new one at the current GM sales price (if I decide to buy a new truck).

So if you’re still reading my windy story, you’re probably wondering what do my ramblings have to do with FI????

If I keep my 05, I would like to put some money into it. Normally, I don’t mess with power adders or pull the engines and ‘tweak’ them because I want dependability and do not want to get into warranty arguments with the dealers. My warranty has expired and that is no longer a concern. I still want dependability as I live in a remote area of Alaska and my road trips in the winter involve long stretches of temps down to -50F.

I’ve been doing some reading on some of the available SC kits available and that looks like my best option, but I have very little experience with FI in general so I’m a bit hesitant to go this route. I think I’m just looking for some reassurance that what I would like to achieve can be done with a SC without creating a lot of headaches and time under the hood.

I do not race crew cab pickups. (I’m building a car for that) I just want a bit more torque for hauling / towing, a bit more fun with the throttle and hopefully, better fuel economy with I drive sanely.

I should mention that our “premium” in Alaska is 90 octane.

The only thing I’ve done to this truck for performance is a mild tune from W-4-ME and I installed a 2.5” X pipe and ran 2.5” out the back through two, 22” Magnaflow mufflers.

If I keep the 05, and considering my situation, is a SC the way to go?

Thanks in advance for your time. .........Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're looking for good off-idle torque and good reliability, a Magnacharger Radix s/c is your best bet hands down. OEM-like fit, finish, and reliability, and the kit is 100% complete including a fuel system and tuner. Contact BlownChevy here on the site - he's a moderator and works for Magnacharger.

The only other thing to consider doing is adding some beef to your trans. Most guys with the 4L60E do a shift kit and servos to firm up the shifts a little bit and reduce wear and tear on the clutches. If you have a 6.0L engine, you should have a 4L80E bolted to it, in which case your stock trans will handle anything that engine and tranny can throw at it without any issues.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:10 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
you can also look up 04Denali, he had the Magnuson SC on his truck for quite a while with very positive results. If left at the stock settings the Magnuson will give you everything you are looking for, with a guarantee!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for response. If I do go this route, I was planning on having my tranny guy go through the tranny and have already been discussing this with him. He’s done some very nice work for me before……

Off idle torque is what I’m looking for. The truck does fairly well now with the 6.0 and 4:10’s, but it will drop to second on some of the steeper grades when traveling through the mountains. I’m hoping a SC will assist with this. WOT runs are not a consideration, but it’s always nice to have that extra punch when getting around the never ending string of tourists in motor homes.

Do you think my octane limitations of 90 will by adequate?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll be more than fine with the stock Magnuson calibrations. Yes, for what you want there is no other comparison. Make sure you get the intercooled setup only.

PM Joe@Left Coast or BlownChevy for specific or pricing.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree Slap on a maggie and leave the calibrations alone and you will not reduce the reliability at all and will get a good gain out of it. You could also look at the 122hh or the TVS if you think you might want more power out of it later because on a 6.0 the Radix runs out of steam when you start trying to push it.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

You may want to look into Procharger as well. Your power would be a little higher in the rpm band but the kits are cheaper than the Radix and just as safe. They also have a OEM look and fit. Might be worth looking into.