FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Critique and help my turbo build!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you have a good handle on everything. I just wouldnt mess with swapping all the engine parts, especially on that high mileage of a motor. Just start looking for an LQ4 to throw in there in the future. Lowering your CR that much will hurt your out-of-boostt mileage quite a bit. The 5.3s barely have enough TQ to push our heavy trucks down the road as it is, and dropping that much compression is going to suck.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
formerly turbo4.8 (2014-06-25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that IAT sensor.... where in the wiring harness do you plug into? like i imagine that it uses the MAF sensor wire and just does away with that for a SD tune? or am i totally off here
Old 02-24-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Sounds like you have a good handle on everything. I just wouldnt mess with swapping all the engine parts, especially on that high mileage of a motor. Just start looking for an LQ4 to throw in there in the future. Lowering your CR that much will hurt your out-of-boostt mileage quite a bit. The 5.3s barely have enough TQ to push our heavy trucks down the road as it is, and dropping that much compression is going to suck.
X2 on a 5.3 the stock compression is fine for a turbo set-up... stepping up to 241s is a good idea for the 2.00" intake valves, but your gonna have to mill them about .030" to keep about your stock compression... you shouldnt have problems with PTV clearance with a LS6 cam..
Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

go for a bigger wastegate to avoid any boost issues, trust me
Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run just a cheap ebay 38mm wastegate and ive never had any problems out of it
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
X2 on a 5.3 the stock compression is fine for a turbo set-up... stepping up to 241s is a good idea for the 2.00" intake valves, but your gonna have to mill them about .030" to keep about your stock compression... you shouldnt have problems with PTV clearance with a LS6 cam..
I really do not want to do a motor swap for some reason so I would like to make this thing run well for at least a couple of years. Not that I am against an LQ4, only problem is then I will be out of turbo and then the snowball affect gets rolling.

I think I will mill the heads for now and run them as I need to pull the intake to replace intake gaskets and reseal the knock sensors. So I am really only one manifold and some head bolts away from pulling the heads. Since I am that far it is only a water pump and timing cover to do the cam and lifters.

Also I understand what your saying about loosing torque when out of boost but you will be able to run more boost and timing on the lower compression heads and make more power on pump gas correct?

Thanks for the input!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MGMC
go for a bigger wastegate to avoid any boost issues, trust me
I was thinking about the problems with your truck and was curious if you can see inside the pipe where the wastegate inlet tube is welded to your manifold. Is it possible to inspect that enough of the pipe was cut out to allow for sufficient flow? Also have you tried blocking off the first wastegate and running it off of the new wastegate by itself?

There are plenty of people that run 38mm gates on turbo's that are the same size and bigger than yours w/o any issue. My gate and tubing are already here so I am going to give it a shot.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01midmetws6
I was thinking about the problems with your truck and was curious if you can see inside the pipe where the wastegate inlet tube is welded to your manifold. Is it possible to inspect that enough of the pipe was cut out to allow for sufficient flow? Also have you tried blocking off the first wastegate and running it off of the new wastegate by itself?

There are plenty of people that run 38mm gates on turbo's that are the same size and bigger than yours w/o any issue. My gate and tubing are already here so I am going to give it a shot.
yeah im pretty sure that the hole coming off the log was prob ugly. i have not actually looked at it but that HAS to be it.... Back to your set-up, why chance it when you already have everything uninstalled right there easily accessible. I say don't even take a chance and throw a 44mm or bigger. Plus you'll have room to grow down the road....just my opinion, do it once and be done with it!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

You shouldnt have issues with a 38 mm gate.

And you pull the IAT sensor wires out of the maf harness, I think its a brown wire, and a black one, do a search on here or google and you should be able to find it.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MGMC
yeah im pretty sure that the hole coming off the log was prob ugly. i have not actually looked at it but that HAS to be it.... Back to your set-up, why chance it when you already have everything uninstalled right there easily accessible. I say don't even take a chance and throw a 44mm or bigger. Plus you'll have room to grow down the road....just my opinion, do it once and be done with it!
I don't disagree completely, I just don't want to spend money that I could be putting towards something else.

Quick Reply: Critique and help my turbo build!!