FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Custom STS? what do u think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
So your 60-1's have a t3 flange on them?

The way I understand it, is this, a T3/T4 has an exhaust housing of a T3 sized turbo, but the compressor housing from a T4. This allows a quicker spool up with a larger compressor wheel. The down size is that the exhaust can run out of flow before the compressor does, but that's why they're usually found in smaller displacement engines where a higher PR is needed/desired.

yes, they have a T3 exhaust housing and a T04E compressor -- but keep in mind that they are twin rear mount turbos.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast_5.3
its a T3/T4 its actually bigger than the one in my oys cummins deisel

Thats not saying too much as the older ones used a Hx35 for the manuals,hy35 for the autos till around 04.5 in which they switched to the HE351 or he341 series. All of these turbos work awesome for most 4 cyl cars,but aren't very well suited to the 5.3. IF you check the plot points on a turbine and compressor map it wouldn't be very ideal. You need to have specifics of a turbo before installing it and learn how to read its maps. If your dead set on using the turbo you have look into a twin setup.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:51 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
So your 60-1's have a t3 flange on them?

The way I understand it, is this, a T3/T4 has an exhaust housing of a T3 sized turbo, but the compressor housing from a T4. This allows a quicker spool up with a larger compressor wheel. The down size is that the exhaust can run out of flow before the compressor does, but that's why they're usually found in smaller displacement engines where a higher PR is needed/desired.
Isn't that the same as changing the A/R housing? smaller A/R housing quicker spool less potential, bigger A/R more lag but higher max numbers? Is the T3/T4 just another way of doing this?
Old 05-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Isn't that the same as changing the A/R housing? smaller A/R housing quicker spool less potential, bigger A/R more lag but higher max numbers? Is the T3/T4 just another way of doing this?

Mostly, yes, but often the A/R available on the T3 housing is much smaller than whats available on the bigger body turbo. For example, mine are .48. The smallest I could get in the T4 housing was a .86 or something like that. The other difference comes from a lighter weight (generally speaking) turbine wheel.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, thanks for the clarification. So... next question is; I'm assuming you went with twins because of the HP levels your wishing to attain and twins will spool much faster. How did you determine what housing size would work best and if you were able to find smaller than .48 would you have gotten it? I understand more or less on single turbo's what A/R is big or small for X displacement engine but don't understand the ideas behind a twins set-up.
Thanks for your help btw.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Well, that's the theory, but honestly the spooling factor is probably negligible. I went with twins for a couple of reasons. At the time, the only other twin remote truck was GreenThunder's creation (and what a badass setup that was) and STS had never considered doing a twin kit. They gave me a great deal on the turbos -- literally better than they could do on a single GT42-88. These should spool in the 3-4k range where the 42 would spool up about 4500. The 42-88 probably has more power potential than the twins.

I used these turbos because they were used on a 427 Z06 STS kit and Rick Squires thought they'd work just as well on the 408. I was planning on 1000+ rwhp. I'm not sure the turbos will hit that with the .48 A/R but I also just stepped up to full long tube headers (bad for an STS) and full 3" exhaust. I'm going to coat inside and out from the head through the turbine housing and am running bullets in front of the turbo, so the spool should still be pretty good (hopefully not much heat loss, and the increased pressure from the bullets should overcome whatever is lost) but I hope that the increased volume will keep me from overwhelming the exhaust side and creating a big pressure problem in the exhaust track.

Hope that makes sense