FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dayco Belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the billet one that Reichard Racing makes for the big block could be made to work?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I tested the Tensioners last night Check pic,

I used a pull gauge (not very scientific) and tested all at mid travel, any way the stock tensioner that came with the Radix kit tested at 30 to 32 lbs, the Dayco (new) tested at 35 to 36 lbs, both of those parts are very smooth and respond quickly to a 2 lbs change, the Gates part looks much stronger and well built it tested at 40 to 43 lbs but was stiff to move and took 10 to 12 lbs to respond to movement.

On truck testing- I found that if I peddled the truck in first gear once the (tensioner that came with the Radix kit) the belt would jump off the tensioner pulley two ribs forward. then I tested the Gates part and so far the belt has stayed in place, also I did a couple off pulls this morning (37deg weather) and I data logged with HPTuners as I always do and it appears that my KPA log is smoother (only .3 psi fluctuations) than with the Radix supplied tensioner, and so far no belt dust.

So far it Looks like the Gates tensioner may be the one for better reliability and less belt slip, more testing in the works.

Last edited by LBSBLOWN; 12-04-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up Great job!

Thanks for sharing your test results.
Man...this is what I like about this site.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by moregrip
might try this one, I have not verified it fits but it does cross reference the dayco unit:

Goodyear Belt Tensioner Assembly
Part Number: 49233

its also only 37.99 at advance auto parts.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:01 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by KySilverado
You are probably the only person in the world driving a Magnuson charged truck with that tensioner. Can't believe we can't get you to take one for the team. We know he Dayco unit doesn't fair well to spirited throttle inputs. Inquiring minds want to know how the Napa unit holds up.

Kysilverado The Gates tensioner has held up to way more then the dayco ever did. Test complete.

Originally Posted by LBSBLOWN
Ok I tested the Tensioners last night Check pic,

I used a pull gauge (not very scientific) and tested all at mid travel, any way the stock tensioner that came with the Radix kit tested at 30 to 32 lbs, the Dayco (new) tested at 35 to 36 lbs, both of those parts are very smooth and respond quickly to a 2 lbs change, the Gates part looks much stronger and well built it tested at 40 to 43 lbs but was stiff to move and took 10 to 12 lbs to respond to movement.

On truck testing- I found that if I peddled the truck in first gear once the (tensioner that came with the Radix kit) the belt would jump off the tensioner pulley two ribs forward. then I tested the Gates part and so far the belt has stayed in place, also I did a couple off pulls this morning (37deg weather) and I data logged with HPTuners as I always do and it appears that my KPA log is smoother (only .3 psi fluctuations) than with the Radix supplied tensioner, and so far no belt dust.

So far it Looks like the Gates tensioner may be the one for better reliability and less belt slip, more testing in the works.

LBSLOWN I dont see a gates tensioner in youre pics I see 2 daycos am I missing something?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

LBSLOWN I dont see a gates tensioner in youre pics I see 2 daycos am I missing something?
No, I just showed pics of how I was testing them if you want I will post pics tomorrow of each unit I tested on the test setup, the pics are at home in my home computer.
The two pics shown are of the Magnuson supplied unit, one sitting static and the other in test at half travel to show what I was doing.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Gotcha. No pics needed. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Notorious BIG

i broke one tensioner but it was right after my rebuild so i'm chalking it up to belt alignment or whatever. Never had a problem since.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:04 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Holty
i broke one tensioner but it was right after my rebuild so i'm chalking it up to belt alignment or whatever. Never had a problem since.
Yeah it takes a lil bit of Hp to break one unless you have bad belt alignment lol
Old 12-08-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice work!...thanks for posting the results, is there a different pulley for the Goodyear tensioner?

Quick Reply: Dayco Belt tensioner