FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dilemma- Radix fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dilemma- Radix fuel question

OK, I have a 2006 truck with a return-less fuel set up. I also have (on the way) a 112 kit set up for an 2003 with return style fuel set up. Should I swap the fuel rail on the manifold and stick with a return-less set up, or route another line, swap out the pump and go with a return style system? I know the return type set up is a good bit more work, but isn't it a superior set up? Also, is the PCM different in how it reads fuel? Need as much input as y'all feel like giving.... Thanks.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only need to change the fuel feed block on the side of the rail. Then plug and play.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

You just need a walbro 255 and the block for the rail. You will be fine with that.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cheyenne383
OK, I have a 2006 truck with a return-less fuel set up. I also have (on the way) a 112 kit set up for an 2003 with return style fuel set up. Should I swap the fuel rail on the manifold and stick with a return-less set up, or route another line, swap out the pump and go with a return style system? I know the return type set up is a good bit more work, but isn't it a superior set up? Also, is the PCM different in how it reads fuel? Need as much input as y'all feel like giving.... Thanks.
Hey, I can help you out here, and you can help me. I will send you a PM!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Figured this is as good a place as any to ask, but what is the main difference between the two systems, besides the obvious fact that one returns and one doesnt?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:58 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The return type setup has a vacuum regulator on the rail. The desired outcome of that regulator is to have consistent fuel delivery under vacuum, atmospheric pressure, or boost. Under vacuum (less than atmospheric pressure) there is less resistance for fuel to flow against, so the regulator reduces pressure on the rail to compensate. It acts opposite while under boost, where the regulator increases fuel pressure to compensate for the added resistance of a pressurized manifold. That means more fuel for boosted users.

The returnless doesn't adjust for vacuum or boost. Its supposed to maintain steady pressure under all conditions. But many times, under high demand situations, like boosted vehicles, the pressure starts dropping. That means less fuel for boosted users.

Does that help?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

To be safe Call Magnuson.

That lil red truck is going to be fun. When you get it be sure to dyno it before running it hard unless you have a wide band read out in the cab.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 PM
TOWN CRIER

Originally Posted by BigTex
The returnless doesn't adjust for vacuum or boost. Its supposed to maintain steady pressure under all conditions. But many times, under high demand situations, like boosted vehicles, the pressure starts dropping. That means less fuel for boosted users.

Does that help?
That was my main concern, as it stands now with the 4.8 and bolt ons, the injectors are maxed out and it has a hard time keeping up with fuel after 5k rpms or so. I know the kit comes with 42 lbs injectors, but will the walbro and returnless keep up with the demand? The last thing I want to do is lean the thing out, hell I'm already boosting a stock long block (I know it's not too much of a gamble, longer rods... yadda yadda....) and melting a piston isn't on the wish list just yet.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 PM
TOWN CRIER

Originally Posted by therock
That lil red truck is going to be fun. When you get it be sure to dyno it before running it hard unless you have a wide band read out in the cab.
It will be tuned with a WB as soon as the install is done, so no worries there. I'm debating between a scan gauge or just a basic wide band A/F gauge set up. I hope it's fun.... sure is a lot of money to be slow.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you're going to just stay with around a 3.2-3.4 pulley making around 6-8 psi boost, I would just keep your truck returnless. Put a good Walbro in the tank, get a set of rails for the returnless set-up, and make sure your tune is set up for the returnless system. Switching the truck to return style is a lot more work than everyone thinks. In my opinion, not worth the effort unless you eventually are going for big power.

Quick Reply: Dilemma- Radix fuel question