FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dilemma- Radix fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
The return type setup has a vacuum regulator on the rail. The desired outcome of that regulator is to have consistent fuel delivery under vacuum, atmospheric pressure, or boost. Under vacuum (less than atmospheric pressure) there is less resistance for fuel to flow against, so the regulator reduces pressure on the rail to compensate. It acts opposite while under boost, where the regulator increases fuel pressure to compensate for the added resistance of a pressurized manifold. That means more fuel for boosted users.

The returnless doesn't adjust for vacuum or boost. Its supposed to maintain steady pressure under all conditions. But many times, under high demand situations, like boosted vehicles, the pressure starts dropping. That means less fuel for boosted users.

Does that help?
So given an adequate pump both systems are equivalent? Why is there a preference for one over the other?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the return system, you get more consistant fuel pressure, because you have the regulator right at the rail. With the returnless, the reg is in the tank with the pump (it's actually the same reg, just no vac hookup). You get some fluctuation with the regulator that far from the rails. As long as you're not going lean, or dropping a TON of pressure, you can tune for the slight drop, and be alright. If you're going for big boost, and big power, then you will have to bite the bullet, and switch to return style. Keep in mind, though, there's a TON of engineering in the fuel bucket to keep it full of fuel when the tank is low. Also, the buckets are not even close in size between the 03-down, and 04-up, so you can't just swap out to the 03-down, and be done with it. Also....................the evap system is different, there's more "stuff" on top of the unit, making it harder to mod. It can be done, it's not impossible, but you gotta decide if it's worth the effort.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I already have a couple of smaller pulley set ups I was going to try once I got the 3.4 stock set up adjusted in... but if I'm going to end up re-doing the EVAP, adding fuel lines and a lot of other BS.... it may not be worth the trouble though... ugh.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm getting 7 psi with a 3.4" pulley.

I like my PLX wide band and boost setup..

Old 05-15-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cheyenne383
Well I already have a couple of smaller pulley set ups I was going to try once I got the 3.4 stock set up adjusted in... but if I'm going to end up re-doing the EVAP, adding fuel lines and a lot of other BS.... it may not be worth the trouble though... ugh.

I've pushed mine about as far as I can. Radix'd 5.3; cam; headers; trans; 3.1 pulley making about 10 pounds of boost. My new combo is going together right now (see sig), and I'm going to get it running on the current fuel system, then...........that will be addressed next.

For you........I would recommend doing a fuel pump hot wire set-up,(along with the Walbro pump upgrade), then experiment with cams, pullies, and small stuff, and have some fun. It's fun.......but addicting.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cheyenne383

You'll be ok with the returnless set-up for awhile. Get a wideband, and fuel pressure gauge first before anything else.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:51 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
So given an adequate pump both systems are equivalent? Why is there a preference for one over the other?
No they aren't equivalent. Since the return style raises fuel pressure above normal operating pressure to compensate for boost, it will deliver more fuel (all things being equal).

Real world: with a return style setup, you would probably see 65psi fuel pressure under decent boost. With a returnless, you wouldn't see more than 58psi even with larger lines and upgraded pump. (given that both were set for standard 58psi pressure) So the return setup can supply more fuel in an even comparison.

My 03 SSS ran just fine on the stock 42# injectors @ 7psi because they flowed more under boost. An 04 SSS would run out of fuel sooner because the fuel isn't boost/vacuum referenced, making them flow less comparatively.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Why does the pressure fall off when using a returnless? Just because of the physical distance between the regulator and rails?
Is there any easy way to immediately spot which system an engine is using?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

The pressure you are after is the differential between manifold pressure and fuel rail pressure. When you go into boost the return system should raise the fuel rail pressure 1:1 to compensate for the increased manifold pressure. The returnless does not do this and your differential pressure is dropping as boost increases. One more thing to note is the pump will likely deliver less volume of fuel as the pressure goes up. Less fuel pressure will allow the pump to deliver a bit more fuel, but with less pressure you will need larger injectors.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran my 05 return less at 8# on an lq9 and only fuel issue I had was I was maxing out the 42# injectors. My truck with a walbro 255 was getting 68psi fuel pressure and 64 under full boost.

I have run just over 500 rwhp on the turbo with the same pump and 60# injectors. For your setup you will be fine with the return less and 42# injectors.

Quick Reply: Dilemma- Radix fuel question