FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

DIY Remote Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking DIY Remote Turbo?

I got my truck about five days ago and I'm already bored with it, probably because I've driven a Camaro for the fast four years... Anyways, I'd really like to do some sort of turbo kit. I was planning on doing one on my Camaro but it's too low to the ground to run piping. With the truck, that's not an issue at all. I'd like to do an STS style kit with the turbo located about where the muffler is, as far forward as possible. I'm thinking of using a T-60 or T-67. My fabrication skills are very good and I believe I could do this for a decent price. I'd like to get 450-500rwhp if possible. I'm not sure if that will work on a stock 5.3L. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Has anyone else done this? Please post up any pics you might have.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

dirt_track_racer_81 built one for his boss' truck...maybe he'll chime in...
Old 03-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its easy, i made one for my 4.8. You need to figure out an oil system - I tapped into the oil cooler outlet right next to the oil filter and ran steel braided -4 back to the turbo. You will need a brass check valve in line to prevent oil from draining out of your seals on the turbo when the truck is parked. I mounted that on my frame before the turbo. You will also need to figure out a return system, i copied the sts style return to the oil cap because that was easiest, you can also tap into your oil pan. I used a 12v scavenge pump designed for pumping hot oil. Here's a good site to refer to for different pumps to use http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm You will also need to disconnect your pcv system or you will pressurize your crankcase when under boost, if you do a search theres lots of useful information about that on the forums with catch can setups etc. Most important you'll need adequate fueling, larger injectors and a custom tune. I ran 2.5" stainless exhaust tubing for a charge line, the only fabricating I had to do there was make a bend to go around the cab mount and up into the wheel well, I just used a 2.5" stainless J bend, cut it rotated it and welded it, worked perfect. The tubing slides in perfectly between the cab and the cab mounts, I used some rubber 2.5" ID fueling hose around the pipe for insulation between the cab and pipe, seems to work well as ive never had any noise. I had an exhaust shop weld in the turbo and wastegate + HKS bov. i'll snap some pictures tomorrow
Old 03-11-2007, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Here are some pics of mine before completing it, if you want completed pics i can get some for you tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Launching!

First setup I have seen yet that the wastegate is efficiently placed in the flow direction of the gasses rather than a dumb 90.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is placed like the dumb 90 and i dont spike any boost or have any problems.......

i dont really have any good pictures of mine but they wouldnt really help you since mine is an s-series.

Turbo8 has a badass set-up on his truck. his is an actual rearmount but hes pushing alot of boost & 500+whp. on a bone stock 5.3L
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02Vortech
Turbo8 has a badass set-up on his truck. his is an actual rearmount but hes pushing alot of boost & 500+whp. on a bone stock 5.3L

Bottom end is stock but he is running 6.0 heads, 918 springs and a 02 z06 cam I believe...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Launching!

here is a picture of where i ran the charge tube.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Remote Turbo?-chargetube.jpg   DIY Remote Turbo?-chargetube1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Staging Lane

Here's a few pics of mine.........turbo sits pretty high up, can't see it unless you're bent right down looking for it.

Hot side - truck had dual exhaust, that's why it's 2 in and 2 out again.....

Cold side with ebay IC............

Old 03-17-2007, 04:49 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a really well laid out system! Did you coat the cold side as well? You don't have any specs in your sig, what's your set up and numbers?

Quick Reply: DIY Remote Turbo?