FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dmax intercooler.....the jury is still out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Thats wierd about your timing, I am running about 7-8 degrees more timing now with the intercooler then before. My IAT's stay about 8-12 above ambient even after a WO run.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Thats wierd about your timing, I am running about 7-8 degrees more timing now with the intercooler then before. My IAT's stay about 8-12 above ambient even after a WO run.

Rub it in...LOL
Old 08-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Tribe Shaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean about it feels stronger and runs faster without then it does after it is installed.

I'm with the others that it is time for a set of e fans, your stock fan is just not pulling enough air while you sit and idol.

if you have the stuff, or you can pick up some things I would like you to do a test on your piping set up.

it is easy.
cap the ends of your pipes, before the motor and from the supercharger.
home depot has pipe caps that should fit.
get a valve stem from a tire shop, drill a hole in one of the caps for the valve stem and install the stem.
if you know how much pressure your system can hold pressurize the system and look for leaks. if your running 8 take the system up to 13, if your running 10 take it up to 15.
hose everything with soap and water.

a good system should show a 0.5 drop in pressure, you said you have gone from 8 psi and down to 6 after the install with no increase in power. something is bleeding off somewhere.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't forget they have a D-Max specific e-fans now. The smallest intercooler leeks make a big difference in power and economy on my big rigs.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PappyDan
I know what you mean about it feels stronger and runs faster without then it does after it is installed.

I'm with the others that it is time for a set of e fans, your stock fan is just not pulling enough air while you sit and idol.

if you have the stuff, or you can pick up some things I would like you to do a test on your piping set up.

it is easy.
cap the ends of your pipes, before the motor and from the supercharger.
home depot has pipe caps that should fit.
get a valve stem from a tire shop, drill a hole in one of the caps for the valve stem and install the stem.
if you know how much pressure your system can hold pressurize the system and look for leaks. if your running 8 take the system up to 13, if your running 10 take it up to 15.
hose everything with soap and water.

a good system should show a 0.5 drop in pressure, you said you have gone from 8 psi and down to 6 after the install with no increase in power. something is bleeding off somewhere.
Wouldnt I see these leaks on the boost gauge? It stays right on 6psi the whole run. Wouldnt i see that falling on the gauge if there was a leak? I cant imagine me having a leak the way i plumbed this sucker up. Its got 4" long couplers and t-bolts holding it together, but i will try it if you think its a possability. I can get these items, but its going to be next weekend before i can do the test.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a couple of things you should try before changing directions. First try launching by brake starting since you have a massive intercooler there might be a little lag. Make sure you are launching in boost. Second you might want to try a smaller pulley to get more boost. Third change your tune to suit. It sounds like the IC has reduced the cooling efficiency of your radiator.

I know for sure Ive trimmed at least 0.5 seconds from my 0-60 with the intercooler. However my IC is mounted below the radiator.

Good Luck.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
There's a couple of things you should try before changing directions. First try launching by brake starting since you have a massive intercooler there might be a little lag. Make sure you are launching in boost. Second you might want to try a smaller pulley to get more boost. Third change your tune to suit. It sounds like the IC has reduced the cooling efficiency of your radiator.

I know for sure Ive trimmed at least 0.5 seconds from my 0-60 with the intercooler. However my IC is mounted below the radiator.

Good Luck.

There is a small amount of lag, but like you said, i do stall it up till the brakes barely hold it. Arount 2000rpm or so is about all i can hold it before it wants to creep forward. I am launching strong.....in 4hi, i spun all 4 wheels for the first time and the 1.99 60' reflected that. I was pulling consistand 1.90 - 1.92 60' times before the I/C. Now i can barely make it below 2.0. I am still at a loss for the rise in ECT's, i cant see that intercooler being that much of a restriction in airflow across the stack. Especially since the Dmax radiator is a 2 core and my stock one was a single core.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Has this been mentioned: "Cylinder charge temperature vs. airflow. This table determines how much the charge temperature is biased toward the IAT or the ECT. When disabled the PCM will use just the IAT. This is useful for forced induction where the IAT is relocated."
The bias is for the PCM to guess what the IAT actually is by the time the air gets to the cylinders, and your relocated IAT will be more accurate than the computer's guess.
This is from HP Tuners. Ask your tuner if EFI live has this.
Sorry to waste space if this has been gone through before.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Tribe Shaman

I thought mine had no leaks at all until I capped the ends and pressurized the system.
I hosed everything and it looked good until I reached about 5 1/2 lbs then the little leaks started showing up, as I took the pressure up the leaks got bigger,
at 6000 rpm's my blower was making 11 psi but all I saw in the system was just a little over 6 psi like your seeing now.

as far as seeing it on your gauge, you stated it stays right on 6, it does not move like the belt is slipping, some of it is bleeding off under pressure.

what do you do to find a leak in your radiator system, you pressure test it.
so why should it be different for your boosting system.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PappyDan
I thought mine had no leaks at all until I capped the ends and pressurized the system.
I hosed everything and it looked good until I reached about 5 1/2 lbs then the little leaks started showing up, as I took the pressure up the leaks got bigger,
at 6000 rpm's my blower was making 11 psi but all I saw in the system was just a little over 6 psi like your seeing now.

as far as seeing it on your gauge, you stated it stays right on 6, it does not move like the belt is slipping, some of it is bleeding off under pressure.

what do you do to find a leak in your radiator system, you pressure test it.
so why should it be different for your boosting system.
Im not questioning whether i should try it or not. Its pretty simple to do and if i put a pressure gauge on the other end instead of using water it will be less messy too. My only question is why would i not see a pressure drop on my boost gauge in the cabin of the truck if i actually did have a leak?

Quick Reply: Dmax intercooler.....the jury is still out