FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dmax intercooler.....the jury is still out

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Well with all the talk of leaks and such I decided to test mine, I tested everything between the intake manifold and the blower. Took it up to 20psi and let it sit for about 5-10 min... Nothing. Pressure didnt drop at all. I really didnt have any perticular reason to check just did it to be sure.

You have any picks of what you used? Can you give a list of materials?
Old 08-16-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

I am still going to do the leak down and see whats what...but i am leaning more and more toward trying a W2A intercooler and sticking my original radiator back in. I cant stand always worrying about the ECT's. I dont want to spend a bunch of money looking for a solution at this point. I think i might try and pick up a spearco A2W intercooler and try that route and see what happens. I dont mind really, i like working on my truck so i am not disapointed to much. I think there is a possability this may be to much intercooler, i really am glad i tried it, but it may be coming back off. Thats just my thoughts right now, they may change in the next 10 minutes.... I really wish a could find a used whipple intercooler and give that a try to see what thats like. I can feel the fall weather getting here soon and im gettin antsy again....LOL. Unless i find some serious leaks this weekend, that my plan. I think...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

it all cost me like 8 bux at home depot, I got two 3" pvc plugs and one valve stem. I can get you pics if you want...
Old 08-16-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

it all cost me like 8 bux at home depot, I got two 3" pvc plugs and one valve stem. I can get you pics if you want...
okay, i was thinking "caps". Plugs would be easier for sure. Did you just tap one for a gauge or did you just check it with a tire gauge?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Admin

I had a old silicone elbow laying around and I just put the Valve in the elbow
Old 08-16-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
...I think there is a possability this may be to much intercooler,...
Too much intercooler is not your problem. Mine's twice as thick, just not as long, and I'm having none of your problems. I'm with 03sierraslt, you've got me almost ready to pressure test my system, too.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Admin

Mine made a big difference, while I havent had it to the track since, it is apparent in the But o meter and in the tune. I am in the process of going to speed density then It will be at the track.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Mine made a big difference, while I havent had it to the track since, it is apparent in the But o meter and in the tune. I am in the process of going to speed density then It will be at the track.

Well, I noticed a little bit of lag (expected that), but no performance gain at all. I thought originaly that it may have felt a little better, but like i mentioned back then, it could have been just the fact that I had not driven the truck for over a month. Its really odd to me that i would have this result considering all the positives that surround having an intercooler. I really expected a lot more out of it. I will give it the leak down test this weekend and see what i got. I really hope to find a leak to be honest with you, at least that would explain it. The only other thing that comes to mind would be my tune. With that, i am at the mercy of my tuner right now because i have no way to tune myself yet. I will take it one step at a time. Its not my daily driver, so i have time to do some testing and try and figure it out. I just wish it wasnt coupled by the ECT issues. First things first though, if i can find my performance problem, i will be more inclined to fix the ECT issues. Otherwise..........??? Maybe if i dont find a leak in my plumbing i can find someone close who can help me with some logging and help me with my tune, i would go back to the tuner but at a few hundred dollars a pop, its getting a little pricey for me.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Admin

The tune makes a huge difference, just comparing where I was at when I first installed the intercooler to now is nite and day. And I am still very rich, so now that my wideband is on I can get that straightened out and gain some more. The biggest thing that I notice is how it keeps pulling so much harder in the upper RPM's where before due to the heat and timing being pulled it would start to fall off.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

The tune makes a huge difference, just comparing where I was at when I first installed the intercooler to now is nite and day. And I am still very rich, so now that my wideband is on I can get that straightened out and gain some more. The biggest thing that I notice is how it keeps pulling so much harder in the upper RPM's where before due to the heat and timing being pulled it would start to fall off.

I hear ya brother, but here i am with my intercooler between my legs looking all sad and what not.... Thats where i was hoping for my gain as well, in the upper R's. I even lost about 9/100ths in my 60' times. I was running consistant 1.90's - 1.92's.....the other day the best i could do was a 1.99 - 2.03........

Quick Reply: Dmax intercooler.....the jury is still out