FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dmax intercooler.....the jury is still out

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Do you know what your current AFR is? Obviously at WO.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Do you know what your current AFR is? Obviously at WO.

http://www.pasadenatownhall.com/efilive.jpg
Old 08-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Admin

I am still lost as to why you didnt see a decent gain, I am running rich with less boost then before and the difference is still nite and day. I still wonder why you didnt get any additional timing with seeing KR. I dont know man it seems like something is missing here.. I know that thought has crossed you mind but..... it just doesnt make sense.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

I am still lost as to why you didnt see a decent gain, I am running rich with less boost then before and the difference is still nite and day. I still wonder why you didnt get any additional timing with seeing KR. I dont know man it seems like something is missing here.. I know that thought has crossed you mind but..... it just doesnt make sense.
I think God hates me. Thats the only explination i can come up with....LOL. Couldnt add any more timing after the I/C install without seeing KR, didnt really notice any performance gains, ECT's went up, nothing benifical at all except the lower IAT's as far as i can tell. But whats lower IATs good for if you cant add timing? No boost leaks, AFR is right on at WOT and at cruise, fuel is good, the stars are aligned, not sure what else there is. I got some camping trips coming up in the fall so i gotta get this thing back in shape.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Admin

Ok well here are my thoughts, Just looking at IAT's. The intercooler is doing its job of cooling them down, so there for any other intercooler is not going to help any more as far as Iat's are concerned. However with your ECT's being higher it seems like you are canceling out any positive effects of the lower Iat's. I wonder if your coolant is spending enough time in the radiator? On both your truck and the duramax the water pump is driven off the belt which is speed dependant based upon RPM, now I dont know if there is a difference in flow between the two ( I imagine there is). I just wonder if your Water pump is moving the coolant at too high of a rate for the Duramax radiator to cool the ECT's? Being that you already have alot of the piping done did you consider just doing a front mount behind the lower valance like myself as well as many others? You could get rid of all the dmax stuff and just pick up a A2A, in the worst case you could turn around and sell it for hardly any loss being the amount of people that are using them.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Ok well here are my thoughts, Just looking at IAT's. The intercooler is doing its job of cooling them down, so there for any other intercooler is not going to help any more as far as Iat's are concerned. However with your ECT's being higher it seems like you are canceling out any positive effects of the lower Iat's. I wonder if your coolant is spending enough time in the radiator? On both your truck and the duramax the water pump is driven off the belt which is speed dependant based upon RPM, now I dont know if there is a difference in flow between the two ( I imagine there is). I just wonder if your Water pump is moving the coolant at too high of a rate for the Duramax radiator to cool the ECT's? Being that you already have alot of the piping done did you consider just doing a front mount behind the lower valance like myself as well as many others? You could get rid of all the dmax stuff and just pick up a A2A, in the worst case you could turn around and sell it for hardly any loss being the amount of people that are using them.
Yes, if you look back a few posts you can see i posed that exact same theory about the pump moving the coolant through the radiator to quickly. I am very much in support of that idea at this point. I dont see any other reason for my jump in ECT's, and on a similar subject, i think that may also be the reason for the unusually high amount of overheating problems alot of the Dmax guys are having with the 2001-2005 LB7 and LLY's.

And yes, i have also considered running a different A2A I/C and mounting it out front since i already have the piping, although i assume it would have to be longer and slightly re-routed. I am not totally against that idea, but if i can get enough for the Dmax stuff im going to sell, i think i will go with the A2W by Whipple, and install a larger heat Xchsnger with a fan on it. That will eliminate any lag that would come from having 12' of pipe. The Whipple only has about 18" of total pipe for the I/C.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Admin

Cool, well just some FYI but now that my tune is getting closer and closer there is basically no lag noticable. Either way, best of luck and I hope you get the results that you are looking for.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Before you give up, why don't you email Allen Nelson, give him links to these threads, and ask if he thinks it might be in the tune? That is one thing that 03sierraslt and me have in common that you don't, Nelson tunes. Our trucks both run much better, your's doesn't. We all have different setups, the only commonality is the tune. Everything that 03 says about his truck applies to mine, including no lag. Hate to see you tear it apart without exhausting all of your possibilities.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Before you give up, why don't you email Allen Nelson, give him links to these threads, and ask if he thinks it might be in the tune? That is one thing that 03sierraslt and me have in common that you don't, Nelson tunes. Our trucks both run much better, your's doesn't. We all have different setups, the only commonality is the tune. Everything that 03 says about his truck applies to mine, including no lag. Hate to see you tear it apart without exhausting all of your possibilities.
Thats a good idea Mike, i will give that a shot. The more i think about it though, the more i think that even if i figured out the performance issue....I would still have an ECT problem. I dont think anything short of rigging up a half dozen fans or moving to Yellow Knife, is going to fix that for me. I think I am just going to start yankin this stuff off, get the truck back to where it was when it was running strong and the ECT's were staying at 175*, then look into other methods of cooling the IAT's. Aftermarket A2A, or Whipple A2W will be my options at this point, just depends on which one i can get a deal on. May go with the front mount A2A if i can figure out the plumbing.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Linda, I don't know if I would be able to get it to work either but I would be very interested in purchasing the components from you and trying. If and when you decide a price I would appreciate a first shot. I wouldn't need the remote battery stuff or the intercooler itself but I'm interested in the rest.

Vernon

Quick Reply: Dmax intercooler.....the jury is still out