FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dual Power Adders-Ad a Turbo to my Kenne Bell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

It will take a lot of tweeking but doable. You will have to cool the turbo air as close to ambient as possible. Water meth might be a good addition to this project.
Now just becuase your blower pulley set up will give lets say 8 lbs. And your turbo gives 10 does not mean the final number will be 18. There is a good chance it will be higher, the blower has just become more efficent.It is no longer sucking air in, air is being pushed in.
Start small take your time and lots of pictures.

Rick
Old 07-14-2007, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was figuring that a blow off valve and a large air to air intercooler between the turbo and supercharger would take care of the extra heat. If the combination of the turbo and sc are more efficent in terms of making extra boost, I will just slow the sc down to it's most efficent drive speed and adjust the total boost on the turbo side. This will now be a blow through set up. The charge from the turbo will blow into and be regulated by the throttle body before it enters the sc. I am presently running a draw thru system. It seems possible, but I have gotten into nightmare projects before.

Last edited by 408 Sleeper; 07-14-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

I admire your courage to think outside the box. All great inventions had to start at the bottom and there are numerous examples in common products that we use everday and now take for granted. May be time consuming, but think how you might impact the whole industry when successful. If not this, then a variation of this possibly in the near future. Make a better mousetrap and they will beat a path to your door. DO IT!
Old 07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GO FOR IT!!!! There are Twin charge KITS out there for the Mini Cooper S and I saw an article in a VW Mag that VW is planning on releasing the new Sciroco in 2010 with a Super and turbo charged 4cyl making close to 350hp!!!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I have wanted to do that exact type of build for a long time. There's lots of naysayers, but have not seen one person that had done it and said it didn't work. Kind of like when the STS first came out, lots of people said it wouldn't work, and it turned out to work pretty well.

I think it will work great!. The blower will make what its going to make and you would use a waste gate and the turbo to control the final boost.

My idea was for my 4.8, where I wanted to use the STS to feed a M90 eaten supercharger, so I would have the instant boost of the M90 and then the high boost of the turbo since the M90 by its self wouldn't flow enough air, but feeding it 7psi and then it would make another 5 psi, then running it all though my intercooler, I think it would work pretty well. I just was never able to find a M90 kit for the right price to give it a try.

I don't think you would even need all the oil cooling and stuff, as you only make heat when your compress air, not when your just flowing it. Ya, it might warm it up a tag pumping it under normal driving conditions, but not much. The bypass valve will be open on the super charger and the turbo won't be spooled, just spinning.

I think you should defiantly do it and I defiantly want to know how it turns out

Last edited by kbracing96; 07-14-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a system like this would the s/c make enough vacuum to spool the turbo any quicker? Prolly not but it just crossed my mind.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

I'm not sure, but the truck has a vacuum pump for the brakes. Thanks for the ideas and concerns so far. I'm leaning towards giving it a try.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Teching In

there is a syclone running a roots style blower and a turbo. seems to work ok for him...

good luck with your project
Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the SC will definitely help a remote mount turbo spool up faster, but at some expense to the efficiency of the SC (the SC needs a non-restrictive, free flowing exhaust to make best power -- putting a turbo on there is the antithesis of free flowing, non-restrictive exhaust ). I'd look at it like this: the turbo will become the main power adder and the SC becomes the thing to make the turbo drivable.

Put a fairly big turbo on that can crank out serious power. At 7.5:1 a chevy engine could be running close to 30-35psi -- we can run 22psi at ~8.7:1 all day long (not banging on Dodge, just don't know their characteristics).

You could put a GT42-88 on there and with the compounding, probably get it to spool up at a fun rpm (alone it would hit around 4500 rpm on a remote mount) and crank out some big boost on a 5.9.

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 07-15-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Oh man, I REALLY want you do this! I want to see how it works!!

Quick Reply: Dual Power Adders-Ad a Turbo to my Kenne Bell?