FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dual Power Adders-Ad a Turbo to my Kenne Bell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I am seriously considering adding the rear mount turbo now. I'm just waiting for the dyno numbers at present and to see how much timing they end up with. That will let me know if there is enough extra power to pull out by adding the second power adder. If anything now I want to try it just to try something new. There are a lot of firsts and things I was told would never work on this truck.

Thanks

Last edited by 408 Sleeper; 07-17-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Just talked to Mike at Silver State Motorsports today. He said they have the driveability of the truck finished and it will be going on the dyno tomorrow. He is concerned about a rear mount turbo. Since its a 4wd if it ever got in deep water during off roading it could crack the turbo housing. He said because of the electric fans that I have, he has a ton of room to work with under the hood. He is thinking that a front mounted turbo would be quite simple. He said something about runing a Y pipe off the headers and using a really large turbo housing. Because the engine has iron heads the feeling is that 15-16 lbs is probally the max on 91 octane. We could slow the blower down to about 2 x engine speed, which should produce 5-6 lbs of boost and then use the turbo for another 10 lbs. He talked about using a large pipe on the turbo that is rated for a 500-600 cid motor which would keep the temps really low into the supercharger. The shop does a lot of custom large single turbo applications. I believe his personal Lightning is around 1,000 at the wheels. I can't wait to see what they come up with for me.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 408 Sleeper
...He said they have the driveability of the truck finished and it will be going on the dyno tomorrow.
What was it in the shop for and what kind of numbers are you expecting. This is with the KB only right? How soon are you thinking of making the compoud system happen?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spoolin
What was it in the shop for and what kind of numbers are you expecting. This is with the KB only right? How soon are you thinking of making the compoud system happen?
Quite awhile the fuel system was having problems. I had the Warlbough 255 lph in-tank fuel pump and the Aeromotive A-1000 in line. The Warlbough could not keep up and burnt out, so a way was engineered to mount the A-1000 in the fuel tank. One thing led to another and I pulled the 2.2 KB off the truck and sold it. I replaced it with the 2.4 KB. I pulled the M-1 2b intake off and replaced it with a M-1 4b ported intake. I replaced the Procharger air to air intercooler and replaced it with a custom PWR I had built which has 350% more fin cooling area. I also replaced the KB throttle body inlet manifold and restrictive F & B dual 55 throttle body. I selected the KB Blowzilla inlet manifold whick was cut in half lenght wise and widened by over 1" for extra air flow and bout a BBK dual 65 Cobra throttle body. This resulted in all new intercooler tubing, wiring and brackets as the throttlebody and inlet manifold were moved to the opposite side of the engine compartment. Finally I figured out a way to get rid of the nasty check engine light. This required dummy IAC and MAP sensors. All these changes resulted in more than I could get the fuel injection adjusted for. The truck has been at Silver State for them to get the general driveability adjusted. Of course the previous dyno tune for power is off. I have done my best while driving, but they have thousands of hours more experience than I do. Depending on the numbers we get, the truck will get a turbo engineered right away. This is a 4wd truck with 33" off road tires, but I would like at least 575-625 at the wheels. Since I now have the option to leave it in all wheel drive, the power should still be quite streetable and I'm looking for some killer 60 ft times.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummmmm.... I have this mental block where I can't visualize anything without pics. Sooooo without pics!!

See if you can't get some pics up here bro, sounds like you' ve done a lot of work, need to share with us!
I think with a compound system you'll see plenty more than the +/-600 rwhp your looking for. Hell I'm seeing that with just one turbo.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About 4 years ago I made 700FWHP(was 486HP,NA) with a 2.2L whipple.Which I think is basically the same charger as the old Kenne Bell. It was a carburated non intercooled 383 GEN1 sb chevy. 7.8:1, 195cc AFR's flowing 300cfm. ~10PSI. That should be about ~560RWHP(Ran 9.79 @137 in a 3300LB nova). With an intercooled 2.4 KB I think over 625RWHP is possible. Maybe more.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

I don't know how to post pictures, but here are some links to them.

http://www.bicyclesunlimited.com/ach...e.amp?image=97
http://www.bicyclesunlimited.com/ach...e.amp?image=95
http://www.bicyclesunlimited.com/ach...e.amp?image=98

Thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now thats an intercooler!

nice truck man. personally id go with front mount turbo
Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Just got the dyno results. I will be adding the front mounted turbo. I was told that the numbers will be a little low because of the power going thru a transfer case and the large off road tires and wheels.

The results were 445 rwhp and 512 rwtq, pulls to 5200 rpm
The most boost they saw was 8 lbs and that is with the supercharger running 2.8 times engine speed. Timing was 32 degrees under boost and Mike said he could have still added more timing

The bad news is the SC is working way to hard. The air leaving the SC was hitting 270 and while the intercooler was droppping it about 100 degrees, still way to hot. As Mike told me, 270 degrees is almost steam.

Here's the plan:
Slow the supercharger down to 1.8 to 2 times engine speed. This will probally give 4-5 lbs of lag free twin screw boost that I love.

Run a pipe from each long tube header back up into the front of the engine compartment. These would supply a large single turbo. Mike will be consulting with his person a Turbonetics to pick the best turbo for this unique compounded application. It will be mounted high to keep it out of off road water slpash. I'm not sure of the size, but Mike said he would use a 4" down pipe to tie back into my existing 4" single exhaust. The tubro will be set for around 7-8 lbs of boost which compounded with the SC should yeild 15-16 lbs, much lower temps and another 150-175 rwhp.

I'm not sure if a second air to air intercooler will be added between the turbo and the SC, or if that will be nescssary. Mike thinks he can come up with a turbo that will have a very low discharge temp.

I hope that this can be done in the next couple of weeks.

I guess I will have to change my profile name from Sleeper to Turbo-Screwed
Old 07-18-2007, 11:12 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

hot damn! looking forward to this build!

Quick Reply: Dual Power Adders-Ad a Turbo to my Kenne Bell?