FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Dumping my A/W intercooler.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumping my A/W intercooler.

My intercooler that came with my original GSM kit only flows in the upper 600cfm range. My blower can flow up to 1200cfm. I'm going to get rid of the restrictive intercooler and use w/m and maybe a small shot of no2 for intercooling. What do you think?
Old 10-27-2006, 10:57 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a pic of it? most air to waters have very little resistance to airflow. it will just become less efficient as the boost goes up but still be better than nothing.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:47 AM
On The Tree

Hey Hemidup... Why don't you go with a less restrictive larger air to air intercooler??? I know it would be alot of work with all the custom piping, but probably worth it in the long run...
Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hemidup
My intercooler that came with my original GSM kit only flows in the upper 600cfm range. My blower can flow up to 1200cfm. I'm going to get rid of the restrictive intercooler and use w/m and maybe a small shot of no2 for intercooling. What do you think?

If the intercooler is that restrictive then you'll be picking up a bunch of power by removing it. I've done several 15-16 psi 91 octane non-intercooled setups with water/alcohol injection and they worked great. I still would opt for a larger more efficient intercooler though, but it definitely can be run without one if you choose.

Jody
Old 10-28-2006, 11:55 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on the design it is likely that the unit is not restrictive to airflow so why get rid of it. some cooling is better than no cooling as long as it isn't causing much presure drop. add meth on top of the intercooler and go with both.

a undersized air to water and meth took me to 1000rwhp.

look at the info on the bottom of this page http://www.turboneticsinc.com/ic_liquidtoair.htm te 2-231 represents a typical small intercooler. the core is 4.5"x4.5"x10". at 450cfm there is just a .05psi drop. at 700cfm there is just a .10psi drop. at 1000cfm the presure drop would likely be just .2psi or so. no one selling intercooler would recomend an intercooler this small for 1000cfm because it isn't going to do a lot of cooling but it isn't a significant restriction. even if it just drops the air 50degs that is still something and then toss meth on top of that.

then again. you might have some goofy intercooler that does restrict airflow so if you have a really tiny core then what i said might not work out.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

It looks like this one:
Old 10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guy's, Thanks for the input. What I plan to do, is to take a modified, 1" Holley carb spacer and machine in the neccessary w/m nozzles with additional ports for auxillary fuel injectors. The 80mm throttle body will be attached to that. If I need more of an intercooling affect, I'll install a small jet for the no2 in front of the throttle body.

Jim, The intercooler that I recieved with my kit, measured 4"X4"x9". I have since then increased the cu in by 47". Lowered the compression from 9.6 to 8.6 and installed a set of closed chambered heads. The motor is capable of 15lbs of boost.

At this point, I'm still in the planning stages of the project and I'll gladly except any, and all info possible.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hemidup
The CFM range should have a PSI linked to it. 600cfm @ what pressure. Just like the BLOWER 1200cfm @ what pressure.
The best way to tell if the IC is not up to the task is using a dual boost gauge. One before and one after the IC. This will give you a ture pressure drop at the boost you want to run.
Water/ meth is great and you might think of adding to your set up.
Whos water/meth you thinking of going with?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For now, I'm using the Snow Performance with their 1'' carb spacer tapped for twin 375 nozzles and two additional fuel injectors. I'm still open to ideas.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:19 AM
On The Tree

Why the two additional fuel injectors??? Why not just get 8 bigger injectors???

Quick Reply: Dumping my A/W intercooler.