FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

durability of 5.3 with high boost (600rwhp)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:54 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default durability of 5.3 with high boost (600rwhp)

we made another dozen runs at the track last night. everyone one of them at the limit of the turbo wich is around 600rwhp. when we turned up the power on this 5.3L turbo fairmont we thought we might be living too close to the edge for much durability but i am starting to think we must not be too close to blowing it up.

we have been to the track 5 times and the dyno 3 times. one trip to the dyno we made 34runs. we have around 150runs on this set up between the dyno and the track. at least another 30 hard runs on the street. at least 50 full runs at full power of around 600rwhp.

the motor makes no smoke, no funny sounds, idles smooth and quiet and uses very little oil. since the track made us remove our front exit exhaust we dont have any crank case evac at all, just a valve cover filter and strangely there is no oil coming out of that filter at all.

our exact set up is a junkyard 5.3 with unknown miles that was siting in the corner of someones garage for at least 2 years. zo6 cam, decent valve springs. mp70 turbo, ebay intercooler, 50lb injectors, single gss392 with boost a pump. turbo400 with a stall that flashes to 5000+, 2step and brake.

even if this thing blows up tomorrow i feel like we have shown how strong these things are when tuned and fueled properly. in a stick car i bet we would be over 700rwhp on the dyno.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats awesome Parish, good work! Can't wait to see that thing on pinks.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:09 PM
.T.
TECH Resident

That's unprecedented!
Are you just gonna keep pushing until it blows up?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:51 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by .T.
That's unprecedented!
Are you just gonna keep pushing until it blows up?
i dont think it is anything new. aren't there a few guys pushing nearly stock motors to about the same level around here? we all know these things are strong. more what i am posting about is how many runs we have pushed this motor. 600rwhp once on a dyno.... sure. 150 times .... now that is starting to sugest something

as far as pushing it. i would love to turn it up a little more BUT we are out of turbo and injector and fuel pump and probably prety close to what the engine can take as well so upgrading all 3 of those things just to blow it up would kinda suck. we might still do it but not untill we get this car to dead hook every time. we do not have that part figured out just yet.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Its good to know how reliable these motors can be when tuned properly

Also, what did you do with your down pipe since the track made you change it?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:10 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Its good to know how reliable these motors can be when tuned properly

Also, what did you do with your down pipe since the track made you change it?
just a strait dump. comes off the turbo and does a 90 down to near the ground, then a slight bend toward the rear but it is prety much dumping strait down. not sure what that is legal and kicking it out from under the car isn't
Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice! Good work. Shortly after my 25psi run on the dyno I was wondering how the motor looked. (I also wanted to swap to a ported set of heads)It blew a fuse on the dyno we thought it died but it blew the ecmB fuse. I think it was because of the boost a pump, it needed me to upgrade the fuse and I didn't. I run 18-20psi on the the street all the time. Here is some pics of the motor, I think it looks pretty good. What do you think? I had alittle cancer in one of the cylinders from the motor sitting in someones garage for 2 years with alittle water in it.
Attached Thumbnails durability of 5.3 with high boost (600rwhp)-1-29-07-017.jpg   durability of 5.3 with high boost (600rwhp)-1-29-07-019.jpg   durability of 5.3 with high boost (600rwhp)-1-29-07-020.jpg   durability of 5.3 with high boost (600rwhp)-1-29-07-021.jpg  
Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
just a strait dump. comes off the turbo and does a 90 down to near the ground, then a slight bend toward the rear but it is prety much dumping strait down. not sure what that is legal and kicking it out from under the car isn't
It's funny how tracks can be, lol. You guys should turn it strait up, stick it out the hood and put a tractor flapper on it. That would be some funny stuff!!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Tribe Shaman

Are the tires not wide enough?
Will a different set of tires do?
Will a 4 link help?
Make the frame more rigid?
Is it to light in the rear for traction?
what else can be done to make it hook better?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 PM
single digit dreamer

we have a few suspension parts under there. adjustable hpm uppers, hpm lowers and a hpm rear anti roll bar. the car is a factory 4 link so we should be able to hook. right now the front of the car is something like 1900lbs vs 1300 in the rear. not sure if that is decent or bad.

we are leaning toward the tires. 26x8.5x15 is all we have under there. the rear we stole from a lincoln and it is a bit wide wich is preventing us from centering the rims. if we could center the rim we could go with something like a 28x10 or 10.5. i think once we get a little more traction then we will get more weight transfer and more traction....

anyone know where we can get a set of 15x8's with a 6.5" bs?

Quick Reply: durability of 5.3 with high boost (600rwhp)