FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Duramax intercooler install has begun

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
What kind of vehicles do they sell these elbows for? I think it is 3-ply.
Thats what im talking about, it was sucked in so bad, i dont think a 10 ply would have helped it. I didnt even try to drive it that way, although it seemed to idle okay. Im gonna stick the cast 90's on there and forget about it. Vacuum is vacuum, doesnt matter if its a turbo, supercharger, vacuum cleaner, or an evacuation pump......if it sucks closed with a supercharger, its going to do the same with a turbo or anyhing else.

Mike didnt you say you were having idle problems? Give it gas and it would die on recovery? Well there you go, if you give it gas and let up, thats when you see heavy vacuum. Maybe that was your problem?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Now that you mention it, probably.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
For Mikegyver and Linda, is the truck idleing normal? If so then it is obviously getting enough air.
It seemed to be idling normal, but not a chance im going to leave it like that. If nothing else, it just looks terrible. That cant be good for anything to have the air being constantly restricted then unrestricted depending on vacuum and boost. Imagine trying to drink your mountain dew and someone pinching the straw just enough for you to get a little, but not enough to quench your thirst. Let me see that bastard pinch my straw when its made out of aluminum....
Old 06-20-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a turbo typically the throttle body and MAF is between the turbo outlet and the intake manifold. On the twin screws the MAF and throttle body is before the blower inlet. There is a big difference in pressure since the vacuum is caused by the restriction of the throttle body butterfly at the idle. I found this out the hard way also. We are probably the only four with air to air on a twin screw. Sooooo I wonder what would happen if you were to put the TB and MAF after the blower!!!

PS how is the blower resonance??
Old 06-20-2006, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
On a turbo typically the throttle body and MAF is between the turbo outlet and the intake manifold. On the twin screws the MAF and throttle body is before the blower inlet. There is a big difference in pressure since the vacuum is caused by the restriction of the throttle body butterfly at the idle. I found this out the hard way also. We are probably the only four with air to air on a twin screw. Sooooo I wonder what would happen if you were to put the TB and MAF after the blower!!!

Only one way to find out...let us know when you get them switched around....
Old 06-20-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=Linda]My sensor is 3/8" NPT. This one....
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/o...tail-p-62.html

Are you going to wire it up with the wires from the MAF? If so.
Do you know if that one has the same OHMS resistance as the temp sensor in are MAF? If not are you able to change the values some how in the PCM.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blue 01
Are you going to wire it up with the wires from the MAF? If so.
Do you know if that one has the same OHMS resistance as the temp sensor in are MAF? If not are you able to change the values some how in the PCM.
Well its an LS1 IAT sensor, so i assume its compatible. Someone will tell me if im wrong i am sure.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

I e-mailed them. They told me they were not a 100 % sure if it was or not. But I could test it against my MAF. They have instructions on there web under FAQ.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

okay, i will have the new flanges done tomorrow (i hope). Lucky for me i work in a shop with access to just about anything i need. So getting the new ones cut only took me about an hour after work this evening. The only thing i have not done myself is had the flanges welded. there is a guy there who is a good welder, so i just let him do it. I came in this morning and told him what happened and that i had to recut my flanges and i was going to see if he could weld on my cast aluminum elbows for me. Well when i said "cast aluminum", he looked at me like i was crazy. He said there was a good chance that it wont be able to be welded to the flange due to the impurities that are usually found in cast aluminum. Does this sound right? I know he is a good welder, but i have never heard that before. He said he would try it, but a lot of times the cast will start to split do to the heat. Guess i will find out tomorrow. Just seeing if any of you have ever heard that before.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I made my manifold inlet using the same elbow as you, and a piece of 1/2" plate. I had no problems at all, and I am not a good welder. And yes, I've heard of cast being harder to weld due to impurities, and I've never had problems welding aluminum castings.

Quick Reply: Duramax intercooler install has begun