Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet....
Old 06-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

As far as cast impurities, it all depends on what the alum. was used for prior to being melted down and cast. Some cast is pretty clean and some is very dirty, one way to find out is to try welding it. I hope you got some that is clean. ( No way for you to know ahead of time)
Old 06-21-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have welded die cast aluminum before, not many people do it. Just be careful and you should be OK. Check for leaks and sand the surfaces slightly.

Good Luck
Old 06-22-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

The cast welded up good. Im going to file down the weld a little and install the flanges this evening. That should give the RTV time to set up by tomorrow evening. Saturday I am going to give it another go and see how she does.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Holy **** its hot out tonight!! I got the new flanges on, and sealed. Everything is lookin good. I got me a 3' section of 3" 4 ply silicone tube that i will cut into 4" sections for my couplings. I have two 4" long hump hoses, one for each side. I have to go out tomorrow with the woman, she thinks i have been spending to much time in the garage and she wants to go see a movie. That plus the fact i have been using her side of the garage for the past 3 weeks and she has had to park outside....I guess i can give her one night. BUT THATS IT!! Saturday should be the day, just need to swap out the silicone 90's for the cast ones and start her up. I will get some pics tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

HaHa, I hear ya man. I just got engaged this past week, So I am trying to learn to balance my time. I figure I better learn it now.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Got everything hooked up. Everything seems to be fine except i forgot to tighten my upper radiator hose clamp all the way...... I ran it for about 20 minutes or so, enough for it to get warmed up and open the thermostat. I did not run it wide open or anything because it was getting dark, and i wanted to be able to look under the hood and under the truck from time to time. Tomorrow, i will fix the upper radiator hose and give it some more intensive test runs. Unless my gauge is broken, this truck runs 22"-23" of vacuum at idle, seems like a lot but thats what it is. Letting off the gas at part throttle nets about 27" of vacuum on recovery. Did not seem to be any vacuum leaks any place and the few part throttle runs i made showed 5.5-6.5psi......so the I/C is not causing much if any boost drop that i can tell, at least not for the part throttle runs i made. The truck felt great, but i didnt really focus on performance so much as everything staying together and not leaking. After making so many changes, you're kinda tuned into all the sounds and moves the truck makes, and not so much on how fast it feels. I am always paroniod after making changes like this, but it usually goes away after a few days (as long as there are no issues that pop up). I will make some WOT runs tomorrow and see how it does. This pulley should be giving me just under 8psi and i was seeing about 6psi at part throttle. I am anxious to get it out for some good runs and see how it performs, i wont be able to get any IAT info until this week when i get it to the dyno. I will post up tomorrow with a report and some pics. Just hoping i have the first sucessful install of a Dmax I/C into a non-diesel truck, we will see.......

Last edited by Whippled 496; 06-24-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sound good man And I REALLY take back that plug and play comment I made about you a while back

BTW, I was looking at some of your pics in here and I notest that in this pic, it looks like you have a drain pipe connector from HD or Lowes on you water hose??? If it is, then I would seriously look at finding something else for that, Those rubber connector aren't designed for heat or pressure and will likely burst on you at the most inopportune moment.

And on another note THANK YOU for changing your screen name, At first i didn't recognize you but then it came to me. At lease people won't think you a chick any more

Last edited by kbracing96; 06-24-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Sound good man And I REALLY take back that plug and play comment I made about you a while back

BTW, I was looking at some of your pics in here and I notest that in this pic, it looks like you have a drain pipe connector from HD or Lowes on you water hose??? If it is, then I would SEICELY look at finding something else for that, Those rubber connectors aren't designed for heat or pressure and will likely burst on you at the most inopportune moment.
Yes, I had no idea what to do there. It was that huge connector that ties in the fill tube and heater hose to the lower hose.. The only option i would have there would be to completely cut out the whole double tee connector and design some sort of tube with two "tee's" in it. As you can see there, I have VERY limit space..LOL. If you have a suggestion, Im all ears. That was one of the most difficult parts of this swap due to that rediculous lower heater hose design. I planned on putting a metal reinforcement rong around it, but it wouldnt fit due to the way the hose goes from 2" to 2.5" so quickly.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I would use one of these for sure.

Quick Reply: Duramax intercooler install has begun