FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Duramax intercooler install has begun

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

You're doing a lot of fabrication there, you can't expect your first idea to work every time. The cool thing about sharing our projects on this forums is that we're sharing the mistakes, too. Not like This Old House, where time is compressed and it's always right the first time.
That is excellent about the custom double tee, by the way.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:37 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow your finding some good stuff lol. glad its working out. now if i could just getting my piping cheap enough i could start my turbo project. one of these years
Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, i bought the stupid clutch for the Dmax fan too. I couldnt help it, i want to get the temps down as much as i can, and im pretty sure that fan will make a huge difference. I think it has nine blades on it as opposed to my 5 on the 8.1L fan. Clutch and custom radiator tee will be in on Thursday. Shooting for Saturday to wrap up.......heard that one before right?...LOL
Old 06-30-2006, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Got the tee. Got the fan clutch. Got the itch to get the MF'er done. I will be wrapping it up tonight into tomorrow morning.

Strike 1 ----silicone elbows collapse under vacuum
Strike 2 ----Lower radiator hose fails ( I was stupid to think that would work anyhow)

Third times the charm I hope...

Hey Vernon, where the hell are you? I am making all the mistakes so you dont have too. I hope your taking notes.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

test fitted the Dmax Fan Clutch earlier and it has a 1-3/8" thread. My pump has a 1-1/8" thread. So unless they make different size clutches for the Dmax and I got the wrong one, i think i am out of luck. Too bad, i really wanted to see if that would cool things down even more. Guess whats going on Ebay next week? LOL
Old 07-01-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Finally!.....Got everything back on and buttoned up today. Tees are in, and everything is holding up good so far. Went out for a spin (about a 45 minute drive) to make sure everthing was okay. Truck feels very strong. It is about 92* out today and a little humid, but the truck is very responsive and feels very good through the rpm range. I still have not really layed into it yet, i know that sounds a little but i just need to run a little while until i get comfortable again. Okay, so here are a few findings so far......I cant get you guys any IAT temps till i get to the dyno (hopefuly this week) but with the temps in the low 90's my coolant temps on the road with the A/C on stayed at 180* and when i stopped for more than a few minutes they went to about 195*. Thats pretty good considering i got the 160* stat in there. I know they would be much cooler with a more aggressive fan blade. Trany temps stayed about 180*-190* the whole time. Also, it looks like i dropped a little over a pound through the I/C, nothing a 1" pulley wont fix. Very, very happy with the truck so far. So, am i the first with a working Dmax I/C in a gasser? C'mon Vernon, you better get going..!

Now for the bad news, last night i got seriously jacked with some spyware virus (i wasn't downloading ****) and it wiped my entire C drive boot sector and corrupted the drive. I was up till 3am trying to get it fixed. I got a few more things i need to try, but until i get it back up, i can put up any pics. This is the womans PC im using right now. So in summery...Truck, Fantastic!.....PC, terrible... . Cant wait to get a tune on it and she how she feels....the truck, not the PC...

Last edited by Whippled 496; 07-01-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

still dont have my PC back up totally yet, but i did manage to get a few pics uploaded to the domain. I plan on writing up an in depth tutorial and posting it on my webpage in the next week or so. Im going to publish it to my webpage because there will be vendor links in it and some are not part of the PT.net vendor list. It will include part numbers, links, and prices and most everything needed to do the swap. Here are some pics of everything finished. I was going to use just one tee in the lower radiator hose, but the guys who made them for me felt it was not strong enough due to having to silver solder two stems instead of one. I trusted them and went with two tees. They are very high quality and worked very well. I used t-bolt clamps for eveything including the charged air pipe and radiator connections (not the air intake though). Here is a pic of the "tees" installed.................. (note, i could not find a t-bolt clamp small enough for the one heater hose connection).

Here are some various pics of the motor after the install was done.........

Last edited by Whippled 496; 07-03-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Also, once i installed the top flat radiator cover (connects the grill to the core support), i noticed another 10 or so degree drop in coolant temps. Would still love to get that Dmax blade on though.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

The stock fan from my 6.0 has 9 blades and 1 1/8" thread size clutch hub. I won't be needing it, I wish I knew somebody that could use it so that it doesn't have to rot in my shed.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
The stock fan from my 6.0 has 9 blades and 1 1/8" thread size clutch hub. I won't be needing it, I wish I knew somebody that could use it so that it doesn't have to rot in my shed.
Wow, that really sucks. Maybe you can seal it in some plastic and put it up on the shelf someplace where nothing can get to it. Maybe in a cardboard box or something up outta the way, i hate stuff just laying around cause it always................How much you want for it dammit!!!!...LOL

Quick Reply: Duramax intercooler install has begun