FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Duramax intercooler install has begun

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Here's another thing, don't mix and match fans and clutches. If the DM fan does pull more air the 8.1 clutch may not be able to hold it long term.

Vernon

Well, in that case, i think i will stick with the 8.1L fan for now. The clutch part of the Dmax fan was $175. I wish i could find the part numbers to see if the 8.1L and Dmax clutch were the same, but i doubt they are. The trany line and battery stuff should be in tomorrow. I will get the battery repositioned and try to mount the PCM/TCM after work during the week. Then hopefully this weekend i can try and get the oil cooler and blower pipe ran. It may run into next week though because i gotta help my brother open Moms pool on Saturday, then we are hosting a Texas hold'em tourny Saturday night. I should get a little time to work on it Sunday if the game doesnt run late into the night.

C'mon Vernon...its time you get started on this too. Dont wait till im all done..LOL.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, got the Aux battery tray and hold down. Got the Dmax Fan blade (not sure if im gonna use it or not). Got the new (+) POS cable for the new battery location. Time to get to work now.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

quick question,
i have stock (existing) 5/8" o.d. oil and trany lines, 1/2" I.D. The heavy duty oil cooler I have has 3/8" I.D inlet and outles.......is that gonna be an issue? I assume it will slow the flow rate a bit, not sure if it will slow it enough to cause any issues though.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Good news, got the fan shroud on. Trick was to drop it in before hooking up the trany cooler lines. Battery and PCM/TCM are next.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe its my darn engineering **** mind again buttttttt
water temps of the engine are around 200 degees F lets say....
the job of the radiator is to remove heat from that temp......
it does so by blowing air from the front to the back....
the air is heated up.....

following me yet???

If all that hot air is being blown at a radiator(our intercooler), made to cool, but also heat a liquid, is that going to help cool off your intake air, or will it do nothing or even worse heat it up?
sure you thought of this, but still wana hear what you think
Old 06-08-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

well in the Dmax setup (like mine is set up now) the order of things are as follows.....

Grill, A/C condensor, Intercooler, Radiator, fan. So if air is coming through the grill (or being sucked through by the fan) it flowing across the I/C before it hits the radiator. The radiator is now a 2 core (thats what the Dmax's use) so it should not be effected by the heat transfer that the I/C is giving off. Maybe thats why they made the Dmax radiators 2 core in the first place....not sure. I think you were under the impression the air would travel through the radiator first, it doesnt, it travels through the I/C first...then the radiator.

oh, and I have the 160* stat installed, this kept temps at 175* pretty much all the time. Will be pretty interesting to see what they stay at with the Dmax radiator installed.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

done yet??
Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

LOL...there is a lot of **** involved here. Everytime i step back and think about it....i say to myself, "self, why didnt you just get the whipple kit?"

I got the battery relocated tonight and the cables ran. For anyone interested in doing the auxillary battery setup....REMOVE THE INNER FENDER! LMAO, it makes it a ton easier. Tomorrow I am going to make a custom bracket at work to hold my PCM and TCM. I am using the OEM PCM bracket, and have bolted the TCM to the side of it (the TCM housing has mounting holes in it..). Still need to wrap the new battery cables in some heat wrap. After thats done, i will run my charged air pipe then hook up the oil cooler. That should be about it. Some oddsd and ends like zip ties and clips to put on too. Man I hope the Dmax I/C is worth it!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Linda you're my hero. LOL Seriously though your making enough brackets, fittings, and blueprints for the rest of us right?

Vernon
Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember how you make this bracket i might have to ask you to make me one. if of course you don't mind. i'm glad this thing is coming along good for you i hope the d-max ic is worth it too lol. i'm kinda in the same boat just with a turbo.

Quick Reply: Duramax intercooler install has begun