FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Duramax intercooler install has begun

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
What's that big-assed pressure switch for under the coolant reservoir?

Thats my fuel pressure sending unit, i had to move it while i was working in that area.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
be careful with those elbows, especially the cheap ones with no plys. mine collapsed due to the engine vacuum.

****, i didnt think about that. Well, there is not much of the elbow that just silicone.....most of them have the pipe pushed into them as far is they will go. Hopefully i will be okay.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Just waitin on a few parts to come in now. A few elbows and need to run my lines for the oil cooler and should be good to go. I am getting a different oil cooler than the one i was going to use, thats why that part isnt done yet. The one i have now says "heavy duty", but it only has 5/16" I.D inlets. The oil cooler lines on the 8.1L are 1/2" I.D. lines. So im getting a bigger oil cooler. Still shooting for Sunday to be wrapped up. She needs a good bath too.

Here is a shot straight on. This gives you an idea of how much coverage that I/C takes up. Its sitting right there behind that condensor peeking out on both sides. Thats over 3 and a half feet of intercooler.... . That sucker better do some cooling. Got a few things in front of it, but i think it will still do the job...

Old 06-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Condensor infront or not, if that doesnt cool your IAT's nothing will. I wonder what your boost drop will be?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Condensor infront or not, if that doesnt cool your IAT's nothing will. I wonder what your boost drop will be?

One of the diesel mods i spoke to over at the diesel page says he see's a 1.7psi drop at 38#'s of boost with the stock GM/Behr I/C. He says that the stock GM I/C's are extremely efficient even with the hot discharge put out by the Dmax turbo. Not sure how to convert that into what kind of drop i would see at 8-10#'s of boost. Anyone with a bigger brain than me know how to convert those figures?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Admin

Well if it works out that way then I wouldnt even worry about what it is once you convert it. Maybe .4psi. I find it hard to believe that as big as it is thats all you will see. None the less, sweet deal man I cant wait to see your results. I hope to have mine done before too long.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Well if it works out that way then I wouldnt even worry about what it is once you convert it. Maybe .4psi. I find it hard to believe that as big as it is thats all you will see. None the less, sweet deal man I cant wait to see your results. I hope to have mine done before too long.
I find it hard to believe too, but im going to find out soon. Here is what one of the mods had to say at "the diesel place" when i posed the same question.......

Originally Posted by ratlover
We see about a pound maybe 2 tops drop through the IC. Duramax is a different beast so that may change things a bit. Actually think it would change it for the better for you. Duramax runs hotter air and more PSI than your talking. You should be able to pick one up on ebay or here usedeasy enough. There are a few guys changing them out.
He seemed to know his stuff, so i hope he is right...
Old 06-13-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

anyone know off the top of thier head, which line on the radiator is OIL feed and OIL return (not trany, but OIL)? Is the top line feed or return?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

I got the bracked made to hold the oil cooler, and got the oil cooler lines ran to the front of the truck. Still need to find out which is feed and which is return....or does it even matter how i hook up to the cooler? I removed the aluminum bracket after i made sure it all fit and shot it with a few coats of semi-black so it would look good with the rest of the stuff behind the grill. Tomorrow i will permenantly install the cooler and secure the lines with some snaps and ties. Then its a matter of finishing the charged air pipe and installing the IAT sensor. That should about do it. I will post up a few pics of the oil cooler bracket tomorrow.

Got a question about the IAT sensor.......do i need to drill and tap it? Or is there a bushing or grommet i can use? If i need to drill and tap it, i dont think my tubing is thick enough, so i will have to weld in a bung or something. I saw where some people used a grommet, but wouldnt that just pop out under pressure?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Admin

I drilled and tapped mine but if my tubing was any thinner it wouldnt have worked. It goes in tight, when I put it in for good Ill just use a tiny bit of thread tape. What thinkness is your tubing?

Quick Reply: Duramax intercooler install has begun