FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Duramax intercooler install has begun

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about that too, but i think i will save myself the hassle of "trying to make something work", and just do what i should have done from the get go. I will most likely take the flanges back off and weld the cast aluminum 90's onto them too, instead of trying to use straight couplings to hold the 90's on. Based on my results yesterday, i am going to weld as much as possible and use as few couplings as i can this time around.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Okay, found the cast 90's for $25 each. They should be in on Wednesday, maybe i will be ready to drive by Friday. That will give me a few days to clean the garage up. Nothing like a little intercooler job to make it look like a tornado went through there.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

My only problem is that with my setup the silicone elbow has to work becuase of clearance issues. I have thought about this and if it does collapse some how I think I have a idea. Basically I will leave a 4" or so tab on the end of the piping ( so it sticks out like a finger from the end of the pipe) maybe a inch or so wide and curve it to match the bend of the elbow ( outer radius of the bend) I dont know, I only have one silicone 90 so we will see I guess.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
My only problem is that with my setup the silicone elbow has to work becuase of clearance issues.
The cast aluminum elbows are just as tight as the silicone ones. I was going to use the cast ones originally, but figured the silicones would work fine..... . If your silicone one does not work, you can always use one of these.....
Attached Thumbnails Duramax intercooler install has begun-3_inch_cast_aluminum_elbow.jpg  
Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Admin

Those still would not work becuase of the extra inch or so that I would have to use to allow for a coupler. I am working with no room. If my elbow colapses I will have to find a way to keep it from doing so, whether it be like I mentioned or with some sort of interal spring so that it keeps its shape.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I was thinking that 22" of vacuum seems like a lot, let me check mine. 18". Well there's his problem, that big engine needs a lumpy cam, that'll kill the vacuum. I opened the hood to try and see if I were to push in my one silicone 90, would it collapse at 18"? Well guess what? I never looked at it before when the engine was running. Son-of-a-bitch, the damn thing is completely collapsed! And I've already driven a couple of hundred miles this way! What kind of vehicles do they sell these elbows for? I think it is 3-ply. I am in the same boat as 03sierraslt, no room. I think I'll try a spring inside. Damn, Linda, thanks for making me look, I was completely oblivious.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Admin

Well I talked to Billy at TRT again about a hour ago, he doesnt feel that it is an issue as long as it is idleing normal. As soon as you start giving it gas your vacuum will decrease. He said on the turbo app. the elbows do not collapse under vacuum, rather they just suck in a little when the throttle is first applied. Basically until the inlet turbine starts flowing more air then the engine. For Mikegyver and Linda, is the truck idleing normal? If so then it is obviously getting enough air.
Mine is 18" at idle also Mikegyver
Old 06-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Admin

Here is my question, why does a turbo at 18" not collapse the elbow but a supercharger does at the same vacuum? I dont get it.....
Old 06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Admin

Any procharger or vortech guys out there have silicone elbows?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Any procharger or vortech guys out there have silicone elbows?
Why don't you start a new thread with this question, those guys probably aren't too interested in this thread.
Yes, my truck idles normally, cruises, everything ok, I would have never known the elbow was collapsed if I didn't look.
I'm not going to leave it that way, I think even silicone would fail eventually from such extreme flexing.

Quick Reply: Duramax intercooler install has begun