FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Duramax Intercooler tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Linda you're deffinately using more air than before with the higher boost. What you're seeing is the temperature drop, not a density drop. In fact the lower pressure air allows the blower to cram more in. But here's why I post, does your truck have a by-pass type fuel regulator or a returnless system? If it has the conventional by-pass system take a look at this post I wrote a while back: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=39982

Now what you should do is make sure your fuel pressure is set at the maximum spec, or even a pound or few higher. This will give your injectors enough flow to keep up with your current mods. I've got my stock ones cranked up past 55 right now to account for an Granetelli MAF and Hypertech on Ethanol blend. That's the only way I could maintain a slightly rich fuel trim. This gives me nice power without knock retard. Once I get my 44's I'll turn it down to lower than stock to match their flow rate to my current need. Then when I put the blower on they'll go back to max and I'll get a tune.

I think I'll just get the small Crane Cam and live with the 4800 RPM redline. I can't afford to change the OP System right now and I wan't to get mine done. That and you've just made me realize that I would be lucky if 44lb injectors can be made to keep up with a set-up like yours but with my heads and a cam with headers. Dough!

Vernon
Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good read Vernon, i remember that post a while ago but it didnt really relate to me at the time. I will see how i look tonight with the tuning and go from there. I REALLY need to get EFILive live now so i can learn to do some tuning on my own, especially now that Allison programming is available. I wish you lived closer, i wouldn't mind letting you throw a few wrenches at my truck.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

So if the IAT sensor was not working or incompatible...would it throw a code? I assume it would, so i guess its working fine.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Hey I was going to load up all of my stuff drive over there and get you to help me put it on! LOL

On the IAT sensor, if it wasn't compatible it would probably set a code but I've seen them be way off and not set one so it may just be close. The PCM is more sensitive to ECT (engine coolant temp) readings than IAT. A bad IAT reading effects drivability and mileage more often than setting a code. Usually if the codes there for a IAT it's either completely dead or unplugged. Have the dyno operator/tuner guy look at the reading and judge wether it's probably correct or obviously way off.

Vernon
Old 07-11-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
We will see tomorrow.
Hello... hello?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Went to the tuner tonight.......

.....the verdict is........

Very very pleased with the whole tune 100%.

First off, we raised the timing to 14* at WOT, that is 2* more than before. And even before at 12* the KR was around 3-4 at WOT. We bumped it to 16* and it was pulling 1 degree so i told him to back out and i will stick with 14* for now. I know that seems low, but i think thats on PAR for the big block. Through the entire run i never pulled more than half of a degree of timing and the injectors topped out at 89%. The AFR was flat the entire time between 11.5 - 11.7 while in boost.

Now for what i was waiting on...the IAT's. The ambient temp outside (according to the mirror thermo.) was between 94*-95* the entire time. It was very warm here today. While cruising around (not in boost) the IATs were between 104* and 106*.... . I was very happy with that.

run #1 from 40mph to WOT(about 90mph), starting IAT was 104*. Jumped to 118* midway through the run, then back to 112* at the end of the run.

run #2 from a dig to WOT (about 90mph) starting IAT was 108*. Jumped to 120* midway, then back down to 114* at the end.

Made several runs from part throttle and full throttle and all were very similar. NEVER saw any temps above 122* the entire time we were logging. We were on the road for about an hour in 90*+ temps, so i gotta say that is damn good IMHO. He likes to tune my truck with the wideband out on the street so i dont have any Dyno #'s today. I told him i would be back when the weather cooled down and we could strap it down and get some rwhp #'s then. Any hint of lag or decreased throttle response is gone as well. The truck runs like it did on a 50* day in March.

Overall i give this MOD a definate thumbs-up and seems to be well worth the time, blood, and effort involved. The Dmax I/C absolutely does the job on the gasser bringing the IAT's down. I just wish I had some before temps to compare too. I am going to see if he can Email me some screen shots of some of the runs so i can post'em up. I think i will take a break for a while and enjoy the ride over the summer. I might go ahead and pulley down this fall, but i dont want to get into any fueling upgrades right now. Feels good to be done and tuned for now. If i do anything, i may look into getting EFIlive over the summer to do some programming on my own.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 07-11-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow! Glad your happy. So what does the SOTP meter say?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

I think that you should...
Originally Posted by Whippled 496
"...rip all this **** back out and put the truck the way it used to be with just the blower on it, and **** the cooler temps...."
Old 07-11-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Wow! Glad your happy. So what does the SOTP meter say?
If im going to be absolutely honest, its hard to judge exactly. The truck feels great, fantastic even. The thing is, the last time i actualy drove it, it was pretty cool outside and it had an 8lb pulley on it. I can say without a doubt it feels just as good now in 95* weather at 6psi as it did back in May when it was 70* and it was at 8psi...maybe even feels a little better.

If i were going to just blurt out, i would say the SOTP meter feels a 100% better, but in reality it feels better, but some has to do with the fact that its been over a month since i mashed the GO pedal...LOL. I just like knowing that the engine is better protected at the same time i am gaining performance. I know its going to eat away at me to get a smaller pulley, but im really going to try an resist as long as i can.

The truck definately feels faster and pulls alot harder through the shifts. It feels like the top end has a little more *** too. Before i was really ramping up the IAT's 3/4 of the way down the track, where now they are actually falling instead of rising. I think thats going to play a big part in my 1/4 mile times...at least i hope so.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
I think that you should...
F U...lol, i knew someone was going to dig that up. I think i knew it ws going to be you too. I deserve that though...LOL

Quick Reply: Duramax Intercooler tuning