FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Duramax Intercooler tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Congratulations! I know how good you feel about your truck now, compared to pre-intercooler project days. I can't wait to see how mine runs when it's cooler out, I'm sure you feel the same. Your truck will probably adjust to the timing and get rid of the KR after a few drives. You probably could have gotten away with even more than 16 degrees. Good job!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

I just reread your response to mjhoward- did you pulley down? I don't remember that. Aren't you monitoring boost?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikegyver
I just reread your response to mjhoward- did you pulley down? I don't remember that. Aren't you monitoring boost?
I was at 6lbs originaly with the whipple, then bought an 8lb pulley off of Ebay. I ran with that for a while until i put the I/C on. With the Boost drop across the I/C, it left me with about 6lbs again with the same pulley. The 2.75" pulley netted me about 8lbs before the I/C install, then the same pulley (2.75") gave me almost 2lbs less after the I/C was in. I will need to go to a 2.5" pulley to get the psi back when running through this I/C. With everything being right on the money now, i will leave it alone.....at least until cooler weather.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats pretty damn cool that you got the dmax intercooler to work on your truck. Now it's time for some bigger injectors and more boost.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

so, I gota ask, how much MORE did the D-Max cooler endup costing you then Whipples cooler?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

How many hours do you have in this as well? Just messin with ya man, I know how it is. Hey you have a air to air on a whipple using a duramax intercooler and YOU built it.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kbracing96
so, I gota ask, how much MORE did the D-Max cooler endup costing you then Whipples cooler?

well for a guy who is not really a hands on type of guy..LOL, i still think it actually cost me less. If i had to guess:

$215 for the I/C
$357 for the radiator
$26 for the rad hoses
$119 for the charged air pipe
$200 for the various clamps and silicone connectors
$78 for the oil cooler
$200 for misc parts (tees, oil cooler hose, bolts, aux battery tray and cables, fan shroud)
All brackets, and flanges were made by me with Aluminum from the shop.

I figure i have about $1200 invested in the whole project + my time. They wanted $1650 + shipping for the Whipple kit. I dont think i would have got near the efficiency out of the Whipple kit as i have with the Dmax I/C. It cost me more time obviously, but i think i am better off. The only very minor drawback to the project is the addition of the I/C and oil cooler into the core support stack. Now i have 5 items in the stack (oil cooler, trans cooler, A/C condensor, I/C, and radiator), instead of 3 (trans cooler, A/C condensor, radiator). This brought my ECT's up about 20*, but only when sitting still. If i am driving the ECT's are a consistant 180*, but if i sit for more than 10 minutes, they will creep up to about 195*-200* and sit there...they never go over 200* though, even with the A/C on and at idle for 15 minutes. Even if for some reason i want to go with the Whipple kit in the future (if i find a great deal on Ebay or something), i am not beyond being able just pull this stuff off and put the whipple kit on. The only thing i would need to buy would be the lower radiator hose. I think i made the right choice (or you guys pushed me in the right direction i should say), just cant wait till the temps come down a little into the 60's and 70's so i can really have some fun.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 07-12-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Excellent work! Hopefully this makes up for those frustrating days putting it together! Are high 12's in your radar?

Old 07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Glad you got it all buttoned up! Do you think electric fans would help keep the ECT down? The flexalite duramax fans look like a good setup and should be designed to pull enough air through all the items you have stacked in front of the radiator.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jamesbond2509
Excellent work! Hopefully this makes up for those frustrating days putting it together! Are high 12's in your radar?

Well, i think the only way this big hog is gonna see 12's is if i get a running start... . Remember, this sucker weighs about 7000lbs.. . I definitely see some sort of 13's depending on weather and what pulley is on this thing at the time. I want to get EFILive so i can change pulleys and tunes for the track, then back off when i want to go on a road trip. I will be happy to see any kind of 13 second run.

Originally Posted by VortecSierra
Glad you got it all buttoned up! Do you think electric fans would help keep the ECT down? The flexalite duramax fans look like a good setup and should be designed to pull enough air through all the items you have stacked in front of the radiator.
i am not sure about Efans yet, i may look into that if the temps get worse for some reason, but i dont have any problems with how they are right now. I did see where one of the mods over on the diesel page installed a set and really like them.

Last edited by Whippled 496; 07-12-2006 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Duramax Intercooler tuning