FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Duramax Intercooler tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a log of one run we did. I wish i could have picked the screen shots...LOL. I know he is busy over there so ill take what i can. I am still a little ignorant in the "tuning" field, but im learning. The info on these screenshots looks pretty good i think, but feedback is appreciated. Remember, ambient temps during these runs were 94*-96*.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience you could run a bunch more WOT ignition timing. On one of my Supercoupes with similar compression, identical IAT, and 15 PSI I've run upto 27* on 92 octane. The car ran 12's on 232 cubes. 13.5 is like no advance at all.

Vernon
Old 07-16-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You've got a little bit of knock retard on that first plot. What kind of gas are you using?

Old 07-16-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

looks good man! BTW, if you can get your tuner to sent you the log file, you can DL the EFILive software (free) and view all of the logs and pic your own screen shots.

Edit: on that fist screen shot, that's torque management pulling timing on the shift, not KR.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kbracing96
looks good man! BTW, if you can get your tuner to sent you the log file, you can DL the EFILive software (free) and view all of the logs and pic your own screen shots.

Edit: on that fist screen shot, that's torque management pulling timing on the shift, not KR.

Cool deal, i didnt realize i could D/L the software for free.

Yup, stupid torque management. Wasnt much we could do about that at the time, but we can get to the Allison now with the new updates on the EFILive site. They just released the Allison tranny programming update. Unfortunately, he did not have the updates as of the time we tuned my truck.

So your thinking WOT timing even under boost can be much higher? I need to get EFILive so i can do this stuff myself. For the price i have paid to get this thing tuned 3 or 4 times....i could have owned the software and learned to do it myself with the help of you guys.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kbracing96

Also, what kind of KR do you typicaly see when no torque management has been removed from the tranny? I am semi-scared (even though now i can do it) to remove much if any TM due to the horror stroies i read on the diesel boards about guys killing thier Allison with little more than 150rwtq over stock. Does the KR increase during shifts based on the amount of timing thats added? What I mean is if i am seeing 1 degree of timing pulled during a shift at say 14*, will i see 2 degrees pulled at 16* and so on? Do you know what i mean?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

I can't tell you about GM's torque management yet but I can tell you about supercharged timing curves. With only 13.5 (that's total right?) you're doing more harm than good. Your exhaust system is going to run really hot and burnt ex valves are a good possibility. Seeing as how your going to tow and want to er on the side of safety here's where I would go. From idle ramp up quickly to 25* total by 2,500 then slowy work in a little at a time as the RPM's climp. By your 4,800 shift have 28* in it. If you extend your shifts later keep adding a degree. Leave some timing retard in at shifts to cushion the blow. This would generate a power curve within 2% of optimal but with less tendency to knock. Remeber you're only running 6 LBS. of boost and that's intercooled. That's not much as far as pushing the detonation threshold is concerned.

On my supercharged race engine I mentioned earlyer I shifted at 6200, by then timing was upto 36* without issue.

Vernon
Old 07-17-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I can't tell you about GM's torque management yet but I can tell you about supercharged timing curves. With only 13.5 (that's total right?) you're doing more harm than good. Your exhaust system is going to run really hot and burnt ex valves are a good possibility. Seeing as how your going to tow and want to er on the side of safety here's where I would go. From idle ramp up quickly to 25* total by 2,500 then slowy work in a little at a time as the RPM's climp. By your 4,800 shift have 28* in it. If you extend your shifts later keep adding a degree. Leave some timing retard in at shifts to cushion the blow. This would generate a power curve within 2% of optimal but with less tendency to knock. Remeber you're only running 6 LBS. of boost and that's intercooled. That's not much as far as pushing the detonation threshold is concerned.

On my supercharged race engine I mentioned earlyer I shifted at 6200, by then timing was upto 36* without issue.

Vernon
Okay, im going to start sounding like an idiot, but i dont care cause i have to learn so here goes. When you say, "Is that 13.5* total timing?". What do you mean by total? I assumed 13* was 13*, i didnt know there was another factor into total timing. Remember, i am just leaning over the sholder of my tuner while we are on the road doing the tuning. So you will have to "learn me up" a little before i can answer all your questions...

Last edited by Whippled 496; 07-17-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Also, i remember having 3 and 4 degrees of timing being pulled before the I/C was installed, and that was with 12* of timing at WOT. Is the I/C really going to allow me to run twice that amount of timing with no KR? My tuner tunes F-bodies 99% of the time, is there a big difference trying to tune a truck vs and F-body and maybe the tuner is not doing the right thing? I sure wish i knew someone who was skilled at tuning trucks that i could trust and wasnt 6 hours from here. When we try to add more timing, the KR starts to show up little by little, I would never think in a million years i could add twice what i have now without issues. We must be doing something wrong.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Just did about 2 hours worth of searching...LOL. I am finding that the 13*-16* timing at WOT under boost is about the going setup. I realize i could probably go to say 15* or so and be fine but that is still a far cry from the 24+* your talking about Vernon. I must be misunderstanding something from your comment about the timing issues.

Quick Reply: Duramax Intercooler tuning