FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

eaton 112 porting

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eaton 112 porting

I know this may be a dumb question but can the eaton 112 or 122 kits for the 99-06 silverados be ported like the lightning blowers can. I just ported my buddies 02 lightning blower and with a 6lber it pulls like a rapped ape. I am not sure if these units come already opened up like a ported lightning/cobra blower, similar to the stagmeier port. I have yet to hear or see anyone talk about it on the forums. thanks

cory

p.s. the pic is what i am talking about
Attached Thumbnails eaton 112 porting-cimg1458.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ooh just wait till BC gets his hands on this one

There is not much support here for porting. I think it's viewed as one of those snake-oil kind of things, like a turbonator or electric supercharger. I'll wait for BlownChevy to fill in the details, lol.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:29 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

I guess some things are better off untouched here i see. Just asking a off topic question.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by coryhussey
I guess some things are better off untouched here i see. Just asking a off topic question.
Its not that is is better left un-touched "here". It is better left UN TOUCHED period. Now that you have opened up the discharge side of the blower you have thrown the rotor timing off and made the blower LESS EFFICIENT.

Use the search button, there is a LONG thread about this from two or three years ago. PS, Steigmeir is a butcher.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

So where do the gains come from that people report? It's pretty popular amongst the SVT peeps. I'm honestly asking here, as I've never given it much thought. It seems that if you enlarge the discharge area, it'll have the ability to move more air. I know that will affect efficiency, but is that what all the hype is? It makes the boost gauge move further?

It seems as though the geometry is designed probably through CFD, but back in the day it was through trial and error. Seems kind of taboo to me.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:11 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
So where do the gains come from that people report? It's pretty popular amongst the SVT peeps. I'm honestly asking here, as I've never given it much thought. It seems that if you enlarge the discharge area, it'll have the ability to move more air. I know that will affect efficiency, but is that what all the hype is? It makes the boost gauge move further?

It seems as though the geometry is designed probably through CFD, but back in the day it was through trial and error. Seems kind of taboo to me.

The gains are few and far between, Steigmeir claims that in order to get a gain you must "raise" the boost and "tune".....EATON spent MILLIONS of hours on the discharge side of the supercharger, there is more science there than most realize.

I tested back to back stock vs. ported blowers back in the day. The ported blower lost over 50 ft pounds of tq and 20 HP.

On a side note, he also believes that "stripping" the rotors promotes better efficiency.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

here is a post from SVT. It shows the difference between the 6lber and ported vs. non-ported. Yes we did strip the rotors as well on his lightning.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ort-video.html
Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 AM
blownerator

You car read what ever you want into this. The porting of the blower housing and stripping of the rotors destroys the supercharger.

Quick Reply: eaton 112 porting