FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Eaton.. Ported vs. Non ***SPLIT FROM OTHER THREAD***

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I hope Bird sees the light now
Go look at my post on NLOC - I'm willing to do long drawn out comparative testing/tuning to find out the truth instead of the throw-it-on and scream "IT DON'T WORK' mob mentality.

Chillout is the closest I've seen to actual results so far and there's some good data to be gleaned there (Scott's was informative also)

The difference between me and you, BC, is that I'm willing to look at all angles and see that there are cases where something actually does work. Then I try to look at why it works compared to why something else supposedly identical doesn't work. I don't rest on old information or old credentials.

I do acknowledge that you do know a lot about these things and have stated that fact to others, but the key to knowledge isn't absolutism - it's the realization that there's answers we don't know and need to find out.

So far, I've gotten good results out of a Stage-4 vs a Stage-2 - the track will tell me more and then I'll go on looking for more data.

Bird
Old 05-10-2006, 09:25 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bird
Go look at my post on NLOC - I'm willing to do long drawn out comparative testing/tuning to find out the truth instead of the throw-it-on and scream "IT DON'T WORK' mob mentality.

Chillout is the closest I've seen to actual results so far and there's some good data to be gleaned there (Scott's was informative also)

The difference between me and you, BC, is that I'm willing to look at all angles and see that there are cases where something actually does work. Then I try to look at why it works compared to why something else supposedly identical doesn't work. I don't rest on old information or old credentials.

I do acknowledge that you do know a lot about these things and have stated that fact to others, but the key to knowledge isn't absolutism - it's the realization that there's answers we don't know and need to find out.

So far, I've gotten good results out of a Stage-4 vs a Stage-2 - the track will tell me more and then I'll go on looking for more data.

Bird
Bird, Just remember who provided you with Scotts Results......Me. I can see both sides of the coin, thats what I do here, if it worked then I would have been the BIGGEST cheerleader for the product on the web.

I have NEVER said the other port Jobs dont work (I have not tested them). I have tested the Stage 4 and it did not and will not work. Steig admitted it and now he no longer sells the product. The end.

I aggree, no need for a long drawn out argument.

The BIG problem with testing on a track is it is not and never will be controlled.......

Lets take this and break it down....the numbers are rounded to ease the brain....remember these numbers are not exact, just used for an example.

OK

w/ 4 lb lower w/ tune: 375/465

Install Ported eaton No "re tune": 365/440 (or even the same numbers as above)

Now here is where it gets interesting.....

Ported Eaton w 4lb lower and "tuned for the port": 385/480......Where is the gain? Say you step it to a 6lb lower to get the tq and hp up some more.....again where is the gain?

I would rather save my 650 bucks and put it into a GOOD tune on the stock blower and a 6lb lower...this will be a better gain for the buck.

We tested the stock blower vs a ported "steig" blower on a dyno in a controlled envoirnment and LOST HP AND TQ. I am sorry but its true, and others have realized the same loss accross the board.

A good example of what I am going after is this.....

Take a 5.0 302, add some nice AFR heads to it, you will gain 30-40 rwhp, now you add a cam 30-35 rwhp. I dont see how anyone can look at something that LOST hp time and time again and just say, "tune for it", " add a 6 lb to get the power". You should have seen a gain (as claimed on his site) by just bolting the supercharger on.

Last edited by BlownChevy; 05-10-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

So Bob has openly admitted that there is an obvious problem with teh Stage 4 yet still fights with me claiming its my truck? This will not end. Fortunetly there is a light at the end of the tunnel..

That dyno thread from Stieg on NLOC is an absolute disgrace, he eliminates the stage 2-3, and then renames the stage 4 to take their place and now it makes power. Woopdeefuckindoo. Congrats Stieg, you have officially opened the door to screwing more people.

Dan
Old 05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Gotta love how that **** works, huh?

I will give him credit for admiting there is a problem and attempting to fix it, but the way he's dealing with the people that still have problems (much like yourself) is a disgrace to the L community. It's no less than shamefull.

I'd back off and leave him alone if he'd just be upfront about it and come out and say where it went wrong and EXACTLY how he's planning on setting things right with everyone. But, we all know that won't happen, especially seeing as it's hard to get more than a one line response from him. Oh well I guess, at least the word is getting out about this whole deal.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

That guy is a ******* scum bag! Look for new dyno numbers from me soon to help smooth out my hp and tq curves on the stock eaton.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Truck addict

hmm, just spray it.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This guy's business ethics aside, I've been wondering about this whole porting business. I mean, why would Eaton put out a less than optimumly efficient blower? I can understand it for cylinder heads, as it saves mfg costs, but what's the savings on the blower?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
This guy's business ethics aside, I've been wondering about this whole porting business. I mean, why would Eaton put out a less than optimumly efficient blower? I can understand it for cylinder heads, as it saves mfg costs, but what's the savings on the blower?
From what I've researched and seen posted, the Eaton from the factory is really overspun on our trucks the way they're pullied. Once we start swapping things around and overspin it some more, we hit a point where we can't go any further with the boost due to high IAT2 temps. The extra heat negates any extra boost that's being made.

That point is usually right around 16 psi (17,832 blower rpm) and sometimes less depending on what part of the country you live in.

The idea behind the porting is you open the discharge up and allow the air charge to move into the intercooler in a more spread out fashion and there's less compression in the blower case, which in theory reduces IAT2 temps (there's people the have datalogged this and have proof, wether you buy into it or not is up to you.), allowing us to spin them harder and make more boost at the same or lower discharge temps. That's my understanding of everything, I'm sure Brian or someone else will set me straight if I'm off base with my conclusion.

Where we're running into problems right now is the advertised gains vs. actual gains, customer service, and false advertising that is coming from this one specific vendor. He has come out and shed some light on SOME things, but he has yet to clarify how he's repairing his mistake and he's left several people out to dry.