FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Eaton.. Ported vs. Non ***SPLIT FROM OTHER THREAD***

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And, a lot of guys have reported that after adding the ported s/c, they're pegging maf's left and right. All this info is out there, and has been for awhile.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SocalbolT
"Do I have to retune my car to accommodate for the porting work only?
No, the porting has no effect on your tune and a retune is not needed."

Pulled directly from his site. Notice "re tune" as in some one already has a tune. His answer speaks for itself....
I would say retune just to make sure it didnt lean too much, more air flow is still more, but I'm running a 2.8 upper, 6# lower and ported blower, so I need a dyno for safe keeping

If you were to put a Kenne Bell on, with the same boost level, there would still be a gain in power because it is a bigger blower flowing more air, and cooler air.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 203Cree
And, a lot of guys have reported that after adding the ported s/c, they're pegging maf's left and right. All this info is out there, and has been for awhile.

+1.....agreed
Old 04-01-2006, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

And if you are going to make a comparison, don't compare a very inefficient stock blower to an aftermarket and clearly more efficient blower. This is not a valid argument. Needless to say I am also quite interested in your stock vs. ported comparison.

Exactly what I've been saying all along - you can't compare between an inefficient stock blower and a clearly more efficient one (ported) - what you fail to address is the fact that with the ported blower, the airflow / vs throttle position is now changed which affects the load tables - starting to see my drift here? Try to run the tune with the previous load tables and MAF transfer functions and things just don't run properly - obviously I'm not 'thick' enough to miss that like others are.

BC stated that the tune was 'maxed out' - as I said before - when I switched to a ported blower, my MAF maxed out and the truck ran poorly. Switched to a 2400, retuned and the power came on strong.

My stock vs ported comparison is just that - no other changes except for what I listed - a ported blower and a C&L upper plenum and a decent tune for the combo. Didn't try to spin the blower faster or anything else yet still saw +1 1/2 more lbs. boost. Like I said before - I'm not going to throw parts on with no refinement and then whine when they don't give me the gains I think they should........

As far as the Q&A - I've seen in threads from people complaining about power loss that Stieg has said that a tune would optimize the porting, but I'd rather speak from honest experience than from 'my brother has a friend who's cousin...........'. You will quote Stieg as far as that goes, but are you going to back up what he verified with a dyno as to 'no loss of power from stripped rotors' or to other people's actual dyno charts all over various forums showing actual hp/tq gains?

I'm heading back to the dyno next week to check some other mods and after I get the tune all set up for the Ported blower and mods, I'll throw the stocker on there with no tune changes and see what happens - will even save the charts and post them for you - if what BC says is true I'll make even more power......................

Bird

Last edited by Bird; 04-01-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Forget about pegged maf's. Look at the power and torque difference at 3000 rpm. No pegged maf's there. Sure the HP and TQ carry a little longer but at what cost? I would gladly give up a little power and torque above 5000 rpm to gain 30 HP and 50 FTLBS at 3000 rpm. Peak numbers mean nothing, it's all about power under the curve.

Last edited by AutoDr; 04-01-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UJSW8NC
Forget about pegged maf's. Look at the power and torque difference at 3000 rpm. No pegged maf's there. Sure the HP and TQ carry a little longer but at what cost? I would gladly give up a little power and torque above 5000 rpm to gain 30 HP and 50 FTLBS at 3000 rpm.
When I initially swapped on my ported blower, my load maxed out at 3200-3400 rpm - PCM basically stopped making adjustments after that. The MAF maxed out at 4800 rpm. Once we put in the BA2400, refactored everything for the load calculation and retuned - it all got right again. It's one thing to just look at graphs - it's another to actually see what may be happening.

Bird
Old 04-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bird
When I initially swapped on my ported blower, my load maxed out at 3200-3400 rpm - PCM basically stopped making adjustments after that. The MAF maxed out at 4800 rpm. Once we put in the BA2400, refactored everything for the load calculation and retuned - it all got right again. It's one thing to just look at graphs - it's another to actually see what may be happening.

Bird
Knowing the owner of this truck personally, I can tell you that The MAF was not maxed. On the ported blower and other mods the maf count was 991 and if you know anything about counts you know that the MAF is pegged at 1023. Perhaps your ported blower works for you but I can assure in this case the blower was far less efficient. The numbers don't lie and this was a very controlled test. By the way, that truck was tuned for 15 degrees of timing on 91 octane. That is a lot of timing and th A/F was perfect. Tell me it worked in this case and it's a tuning error and I'll point at you and laugh. This truck clearly makes more power on a stock eaton and when it is re tuned for such it will make even more. Trust me when I say BC is not making this up for the sake of being right. In this case he just is....
Old 04-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UJSW8NC
Forget about pegged maf's. Look at the power and torque difference at 3000 rpm. No pegged maf's there. Sure the HP and TQ carry a little longer but at what cost? I would gladly give up a little power and torque above 5000 rpm to gain 30 HP and 50 FTLBS at 3000 rpm. Peak numbers mean nothing, it's all about power under the curve.

Exactly!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Knowing the owner of this truck personally, I can tell you that The MAF was not maxed. On the ported blower and other mods the maf count was 991 and if you know anything about counts you know that the MAF is pegged at 1023. Perhaps your ported blower works for you but I can assure in this case the blower was far less efficient. The numbers don't lie and this was a very controlled test. By the way, that truck was tuned for 15 degrees of timing on 91 octane. That is a lot of timing and th A/F was perfect. Tell me it worked in this case and it's a tuning error and I'll point at you and laugh. This truck clearly makes more power on a stock eaton and when it is re tuned for such it will make even more. Trust me when I say BC is not making this up for the sake of being right. In this case he just is....
Finally starting to see some data here instead of just charts - good ! Do you know what the load numbers were for each setup at the different RPM's ? That'll tell a lot of the story also. I'll paraphrase BC from earlier in this thread - "show me the actual data of his pulls" (referring to Stieg's testing). As most tuners will tell you - there's more to tuning than just throwing timing at it and setting an A/F ratio. Another thing that might help here is a comparison chart of boost / rpm for each blower. When I was working with mine, it was showing more boost from 2500 rpm on up. To validate that, I made sure that the bypass actuator was at the same setting as the stocker. (if set light, the boost will come on slower, etc) Were the IAT-2 temps/boost/rpm of both setups logged - lot of data that could show things still needed here.

I never said that BC 'made up' the charts - just pointing out that it may or may not be valid with so many variables being in there. Even just setting the boost actuators differently can cause a huge change in the way a blower responds at lower RPMS. BC, with all of his testing experience, can surely appreciate that all the different variables have to be accounted for - not just throwing parts on there and saying one works and one doesn't. That's not scientific and true validation testing doesn't take just one test and draw final conclusions - there's a very large number of people out there who have had great results with ported blowers, stripped rotors or not, to say that this test is conclusive. When something doesn't appear to work (and known to work for others), I like to actually figure out 'why'...............

I'll still be at the dyno this next week (time/work) permitting and I'll go ahead and optimize for my mods and ported blower, then throw the stocker back on there and see what happens - I'll get charts.

Bird
Old 04-02-2006, 10:38 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All you had to do was ask for what you wanted to see Bird man. As I stated in a post above there was another steig blower there on an L with a 6 pound lower than made about 7 rwhp more than his last pull with the stock eaton.

You need to take the tone down a bit and I can provide you with all of the facts you want from the test vehicle from yester day...but when you come at this with a closed mind and continue to call me "good for humor" I can only consider you one of the many "web warriors" out there. I have better things to do that argue with a child behind a keyboard. Come out of the gate like an adult next time and them maybe we can play in the same sand box.

The owner of the truck even stated that it "drove" and "felt" better with the stock eaton back on there. He also told me about calling steig and asking about why the truck did not seem like it made anymore power, and steig just yelled at him on the phone. Again, sorry if these facts bother you....it would bum me out too if I heard this information about something I believe in...but you cant change it.

as for the BYPASS and the Actuator, they come set from the factory.....If steig sends them out without setting them, then he is only asking for problems. I know for a fact that the one on the steig blower and the stock eaton were working properly.

Quick Reply: Eaton.. Ported vs. Non ***SPLIT FROM OTHER THREAD***