FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Eaton.. Ported vs. Non ***SPLIT FROM OTHER THREAD***

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:08 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
BC, I think you really need to make sure that the IATs, spark and fueling are the same for each blower test. I have been involved with alot of comparison testing and each of these factors can play a large roll in how the vehicle performs.

Just a suggestion...Afterall, if you tweak the cal between runs, is it really showing gains caused by just the hardware?

BINGO.

Testing blower A with tune 1 and blower B with tune 2 doesn't prove a thing about blower A or blower B (or even tune 1 and tune 2) -- it only proves that the combinations are different.

What Brian did was to test blower A with a tune for blower A and blower B with a tune for blower A and blower B made more power and torque. So what does that tell us? The stock blower made more power than the ported blower, **even with the tune for the ported blower**.

Why there is still an argument about Brian's test is beyond me, except for folks not *wanting* to believe the results and grasping for straws. IMO until you have independent dyno, same day, same tune results such as Brian generated that prove your claims of increases, you are just arguing out the side of your face, and Brian wins by default (as the only guy who brought real results to the table).

Here's to you Brian
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I'm asking for here is a slightly larger test group.

AND..

Maybe a few different ported blowers. I don't know if they're hand ported or if they're using a template or how exactly they determine how much to take out, but there HAS to be differences blower to blower. If there wasn't, how do we explain how the people that HAVE seen legitament gains?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:06 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 203Cree
All I'm asking for here is a slightly larger test group.

AND..

Maybe a few different ported blowers. I don't know if they're hand ported or if they're using a template or how exactly they determine how much to take out, but there HAS to be differences blower to blower. If there wasn't, how do we explain how the people that HAVE seen legitament gains?
I will provide a larger test group that is not a problem at all. As for the gains, I am not sure how to explain that YET. I have a feeling that the gains that have been seen from ported blowers may come in conjunction with other mods made at the same time. This test will be done in a controlled environment, and the data will be logged and posted.

Remember, I have nothing to be gained from proving the facts. I do not sell Lightning parts, I do not even own one.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Hmm. Check this out.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=273787
Old 04-04-2006, 11:35 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by 203Cree

This is something that I was going to touch on later in this thread. Rotor timing is very important to the performance of the supercharger. Magnuson has had this nailed down for quite a few years.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I will provide a larger test group that is not a problem at all. As for the gains, I am not sure how to explain that YET. I have a feeling that the gains that have been seen from ported blowers may come in conjunction with other mods made at the same time. This test will be done in a controlled environment, and the data will be logged and posted.

Remember, I have nothing to be gained from proving the facts. I do not sell Lightning parts, I do not even own one.

Brian - right now, the gains we've seen down here weren't from any other mods, but I'm wondering if a portion of the gain may be from the reduced IAT2 temps and the resultant additional timing that is allowed - turning off the ACT retard would verify this (being mindful of detonation possibilities). Also, having reduced IAT-2 temps would allow a different timing curve throughout the load range. Additionally, all of us in this group here have seen an increase in boost levels from the ported blower - the avg is 1.5 #.

As for those of us not 'wanting to believe', the straws we are grasping are actual dyno numbers and track results from our own vehicles - not someone else's graphs - only lemmings follow along blindly without trying things for themselves.

I've got the tune for my current setup that I'll be testing with the new ported blower and after checking that, will optimize the tune for that one and see what it does with the stocker - be interesting to see what data that provides.

Bird

ps. I have nothing to gain by all this either - I'm just blessed (cursed) with the curiousity to understand the "'why's" of things and solutions instead of declaring 'absolutes'.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
blownerator

I would be willing to hold off on the testing if I could get my hands on an "updated" revision of the Stieg blower. If the blower shows advertised gains, I will be more than happy to pay for it. Can't lose there Mr. Stiegmeier
Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 PM
blownerator

I noticed on the other sites the question came up of "rotor timing" and what it is.

Rotor Timing has to do with the time between the intake of the air and the discharge of the air. If a rotor housing is machined beyond these points it cannot be fixed without replaceing the housing. Its kind of the same thing as boring an engine block through to the water jackets.....pretty much a boat anchor at that point.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Teching In

BC,

Can you explain rotor clocking further please~

-MM
Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that's the process where you pull the rotors out and use them to clock people who call you a lemming!

Just wanted to add some humor -- nothing to see here!

Quick Reply: Eaton.. Ported vs. Non ***SPLIT FROM OTHER THREAD***