FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

EGT temps

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:05 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My EGTs get hot towing or at wot for a long time, 1,600+ is as high as my gauge goes and I've hit that few times. I don't worry until it clears 1500.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Mills
What kind of milage are you getting while towing?
I am scared to think about it. Actually I have only put half a tank through the radix, it is still very new. I only hooked up for a quick test. Possibly tomorrow I will hook up again, just waiting to hear back from some people to confirm EGT's are okay, and that I can keep pushing it.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m7 rocket
No I am not towing with my foot all the way down, it builds 5 psi at 1/2 throttle or better and temps get high at that point on. I was told I have a 3.2 pulley I think. It is not marked but is suppossed to be one size larger than stock to lower boost for the towing application. The most I see is 5.5 psi. There is alot of hills though that are 2-3 miles long and them are the ones that are worrying me, even though magnuson said before I bought it that I have no worries. I don't think my IAT is high, the coolant hoses are still cool and it has not been hot out yet. I did have pinging, but added some octane boost and that seems to be beter, but have not towed since I added it.

I assume Monday is the holiday down there?
i didn't mean it that way...just even towing you shouldn't see 1500+ unless you are flooring it. I have towed up and over the Appalachians with a 3.0 pulley and usually see somewhere in the 1300 range for long periods of time. Ofcourse I am not pulling that beast that you are. lol

I think the standard radix comes with a 3.4, so iguess you have a 3.6.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Launching!

I think I have a 3.3 at largest according to my measurements, not sure where exactly to measure. My EGT's when empty, cruising on highway with small inclines gets to 1400 when empty, it is never less than 1250 when on flat ground, no towing, unless it is coasting.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

the pulley should be marked with the size, i think the tow pulley for 6.0 is 3.2 vs 3.3 for regular 6.0
Old 05-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Pulley has no markings, even pulled it off to look at back. Towing kit has larger pulley to make less boost, hence less heat when towing.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Confirmed today that pulley is a 3.2 I took it off and measured, plus fixed my alignment issue, no more belt dust. I also confirmed with Magnasun that it should have a 3.2 for towing, did not ask what it should have for non-towing.
I am now curious about going to high flow cats. I have 65,000 miles on them and when I do have to hold it to floor in second to climb steep hills when towing, it went up to 1650, then I backed out of it. Magnasun says 1650 is when cats melt, and the engine should be okay at that point. I son't want to spend alot more, any ideas??
I also got rid of 95% of my pinging by filling tank when it was very empty with 92 octane w/ethanol. No octane boost. It only did it twice and I backed out then too. Hoping after next tank the pinging is gone, just need to fix high EGT's and I should be okay from there.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

I went through all of that last year as well when I started towing to Fairmont from Edmonton. I too make about 5 lbs of boost max and the folks at Southgate had told me when the EGT hit 1400 or so to let off. But was running close to near that while cruising with trailer at approx 100km/hr! So I was quite concerned indeed.

Went to Davenport Motorsports in Calgary (who by the way don't bother installing pyrometers in the vehicles they put the MagnaChargers in, and they claim never to have had issues) and had their tuning wizard Shannon hook some software up to the vehicle and we went for a good long run around Calgary highways, really bagging it to get the temp up. The motor was running just fine and Shannon expressed zero concern, so I quit worrying about it when towing. So far so good.

You should look into a tune from Westers Garage (located in Tilley Alberta of all places). Lyndon is an absolute wizard and he can give you a tune for around 500 bucks (a bit more if you want to keep your stock ECM like I did) that will be good for both towing and cut your 1/4 mile by 1/2 sec min.

I gteched my Denali tonight, and it ran 0-60 in 6.11, with quarter in 14.54 s. The tune runs way better than the flaccid Superchips safe version.

Good luck to you and hope nothing melts. By the way, I also have the flopro muffler as they are very quiet (although if they flow too well they may be robbing us of some boost!).

D
Old 06-01-2006, 08:33 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those EGTs should be OK with your current set up, I dont know who told you the 3.2 was the proper pulley for towing....you should have the 3.3 on there. I used a 3.4 on the 2500HD I towed with (45K on it and still running) and saw a solid 5 psi at all times when needed.

The above person mentioned getting a new calibration, IF you do, please make sure it is in person and not too agressive on the timing. Once you advance the timing on the truck too far, you are dead meat. That trailer puts a hell of a load on the truck, so the way it runs unloaded and the way it will run loaded will make a huge difference in the calibration.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Those EGTs should be OK with your current set up, I dont know who told you the 3.2 was the proper pulley for towing....you should have the 3.3 on there. I used a 3.4 on the 2500HD I towed with (45K on it and still running) and saw a solid 5 psi at all times when needed.

The above person mentioned getting a new calibration, IF you do, please make sure it is in person and not too agressive on the timing. Once you advance the timing on the truck too far, you are dead meat. That trailer puts a hell of a load on the truck, so the way it runs unloaded and the way it will run loaded will make a huge difference in the calibration.
Geez - now I am worried that I should have the 3.3 pulley! I did not get my tune in person but Lyndon gave a me tune which was supposed to be trailer pulling friendly while at the same time still help my 0.-60 (which it did...).

Time will tell......sigh - tempting to go get a chipped Duramax and quit worrying about melting anything!

Quick Reply: EGT temps