FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

EGT temps

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
Geez - now I am worried that I should have the 3.3 pulley! I did not get my tune in person but Lyndon gave a me tune which was supposed to be trailer pulling friendly while at the same time still help my 0.-60 (which it did...).

Time will tell......sigh - tempting to go get a chipped Duramax and quit worrying about melting anything!
If you are not running the Superchips calibration (the one that has room for error) then I would not suggest towing.

This is no way a personal assult against any the mail order tune guys, for MOST applications they work well. What most guys on this and many other sites do not realize is the calibration that is supplied with the Magna Charger kit leaves room for error, if you get a bad tank of gas, elevation, terrain, ambient temps, etc, etc.... If you take out that margin for error by changing the calibration then you are taking the life of your SUPERCHARGED or TURBOCHARGED motor into your own hands. Each vehicle is different, and you cannot tune to the edge (like most mailorder guys do) and expect not to have issues later down the road.

I am not saying dont change the calibration, I am saying plug in a wideband and get it done in person.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
If you are not running the Superchips calibration (the one that has room for error) then I would not suggest towing.

This is no way a personal assult against any the mail order tune guys, for MOST applications they work well. What most guys on this and many other sites do not realize is the calibration that is supplied with the Magna Charger kit leaves room for error, if you get a bad tank of gas, elevation, terrain, ambient temps, etc, etc.... If you take out that margin for error by changing the calibration then you are taking the life of your SUPERCHARGED or TURBOCHARGED motor into your own hands. Each vehicle is different, and you cannot tune to the edge (like most mailorder guys do) and expect not to have issues later down the road.

I am not saying dont change the calibration, I am saying plug in a wideband and get it done in person.
When you say leaves room for error, the tunning guru dude I was talking to says Magna does not change any of the timing when the truck see's 87 Octane. He changes it so if you get bad gas it still runs good and does not KR. Does this sound right?? He also says he uses a chassis dyno and can load the $hit out of it to make sure towing is set up safely. He also claims he can move the max fuel supply curve up from say -2 "hg to 0 or so, claiming big time increase in fuel milage when not needing boost.

I don't know alot about widebands, but am realizing quickly that the EGT was a waist of time and money. How do widebands work and should I think about putting it in place of my EGT? Right now I only have room for 2, 2/1/16" guages.

BlownChevy, did you get my PM?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

That was kind of the same message I got from Shannon at Davenport Motorsports, that the EGT was a bit of a non-issue.

By the way, are you located near Calgary, or closer to Edmonton.

Tilley is between Calgary and Medicine Hat if you are located there. Could make an appointment to get it done live, although Lyndon has done so many of these he usually just sends the tune.

By the way, in another thread, as long as my engine is the LQ4, BlownChevy and I have determined that the 3.1 pulley is correct. If one has the LQ9 engine, then the 3.3 pulley is stock. BlownChevy can tell your engine type by the VIN. I am going to PM him with mine later to verify that I have the LQ4. If not, I need to get the 3.3 pulley or I am going to toast my engine.

By the way, Shannon at Davenport, and Lyndon at Westers help each other out from time to time with tunes, it is not one vs the other, they seem to be on the same page.

Good Luck

D
Old 06-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Launching!

I gave Magna my VIN so I will assume they got the pulley correct. If it was not correct, and having 3 conversations on the phone to tech, I would think someone would have figured it out by now. Also the tunning is set up for this pulley, and I am never over 6PSI, so, all should be cool. What is the VIN number for each model of 6.0 L engine in 2004?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Well according to the help I got here today re pulley size, if the 8th digit of your vin is U, then you have a LQ4, and should have a 3.1 stock pulley, and if the 8th digit of your vin is N, then you have an LQ9, and should have a 3.3 stock pulley.

D
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Blowndenalixl]Well according to the help I got here today re pulley size, if the 8th digit of your vin is U, then you have a LQ4, and should have a 3.1 stock pulley, and if the 8th digit of your vin is N, then you have an LQ9, and should have a 3.3 stock pulley.

Well just as I was hoping, Magnasun got it right. I have an 8th VIN of U and a 3.2 pulley, therefore the towing kit. Good info to know for sure, thanks.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Hey Blowndenalixl, have you ever used a place called Campbell Automotive to tune? That is who my dealer is recommending to visit, he sounds good on the phone but I just spent my hard earned money on a Superchips tune and don't need to drive another 5 hours one way to spend another $4-500 to get a dyno tune. He is in the Edmonton.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

No I haven't heard of nor used him. I would recommend Lydon at Westers. He can put a tune on a Greyhound for you if you need it quick, just like I did last year just before holidays!

Good Luck, sounds like things are falling into place. Let me know if you get a wideband put in, I might consider putting one in myself.

Take Care

D
Old 06-03-2006, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Egt's are not and issue on gas engines like it is on diesels by design. I had one on my talon turbo 2.0L back in the day and it proved to be useless. normal cruising was around 900-1200 degrees and pegs 1600 with little effort. Cats are usely around 600-900 degrees and up depending on application. Depending on where you install the probe will vary the readings. You will develop other issues before the egt's are to be worried about. The wideband is what you should be worried about. Definitely a must.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Egt's are not and issue on gas engines like it is on diesels by design. I had one on my talon turbo 2.0L back in the day and it proved to be useless. normal cruising was around 900-1200 degrees and pegs 1600 with little effort. Cats are usely around 600-900 degrees and up depending on application. Depending on where you install the probe will vary the readings. You will develop other issues before the egt's are to be worried about. The wideband is what you should be worried about. Definitely a must.

Quick Reply: EGT temps