FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Electric Superchargers (No, really...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a 50-100 shot of nitrous if you want cheap power. I'd get a 100 shot though, the 50 shot might not be worth the effort.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean, how much HP Is required to turn the supercharger to produce a certain amount of boost in PSI. For example, to push 5psi - the supercharger consumes 20hp... or something...

UPdate; nevermind, I jumped the gun, thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try and measure the CFM at the throttle body on a bone stock 5.3 at 6000rpms.
Start there and then you will know how much airflow you have to exceed to produce any measurable amount of boost.

Once you figure that out let us know.

And once this electric SC is in place, how does the engine go about getting air while cruising at light throttle?
Is it goin to have to pull air across the dead supercharger?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

There is no set figure, because there's no sustantial information on airflow from extensive testing on brushless superchargers. It's not like comparing turbos, where you can go off of set variables. 100 HP is 75KW--doesn't matter what, who, or where you are dealing with. That's a set figure. I think it's getting lost in translation here. To produce 5 lbs. of boost, with the numbers I posted, it proves that you'd have to have a stupid amount of amps. It's not going to happen, even remotely efficiently.

EDIT: Just read Nonnie's post, and he said something that I failed to mention earlier. When not active, this essentially becomes a **** block of airflow.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Try and measure the CFM at the throttle body on a bone stock 5.3 at 6000rpms.
Start there and then you will know how much airflow you have to exceed to produce any measurable amount of boost.

Once you figure that out let us know.

And once this electric SC is in place, how does the engine go about getting air while cruising at light throttle?
Is it goin to have to pull air across the dead supercharger?
I think the 5.3L at 6000 rpms would be ~ 450cfm. I do have a computer system in there which measures that in real time, but it's in lbs/min.

I know some R/C Ducted Fan jets can produce 1200cfm using around 2kw. Of course I know that is not creating pressure, just moving air.

In regards to your question on the dead supercharger, it would have to be either bypassed with some type of check valve situation, or operating at a low power setting... without having to create boost, I wouldn't think the power requirements would be too high. Just thinking out load before anyone throws **** my way.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CC05
There is no set figure, because there's no sustantial information on airflow from extensive testing on brushless superchargers. 4
Right, but there must be some testing done on centrifugal superchargers currently in use, meaning the parasitic drag. Lets assume for a moment that an engine is turning the supercharger but the boosted air is going elsewhere- not creating more power for the engine. How much power would be robbed by turning that useless supercharger? If we can determine how many HP is robbed from a typical setup to produce 5 PSI... then we can use that info to determine what type of electrical requirement there would be to do the same thing electrically.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Here is an interesting example.. it can't require THAT much power to produce boost. Here is an air compressor that can produce 99CFM at 132PSI, using 25HP.

FREE SHIPPING — Quincy QGS Rotary Screw Compressor with Dryer — 25 HP, 208/230/460V 3-Phase, 120 Gallon, 99 CFM, Model# QGS25WD | Air Compressors 50 CFM + Above | Northern Tool + Equipment

Seems that producing much more CFM at a much lower PSI (5-10) would be dramatically easier...
Old 03-10-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

I've thought and thought about this before, and it's really just a pile of work that isn't capable efficiently or in a cost-friendly manner, just yet. Sure, all new things are nothing but research and work, but this is almost like a machine that runs at 100% efficiency at this point--not possible in the real world with any variables outside of a vaccuum.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like your idea, I know very little about electricity. Just remember, you only need less than a minute of power, a 1/4 mile or pull on the highway may be 15 seconds and I doubt you would do too many of those in a row. Using a capacitor type source instead of running off the car battery is a better way to go like you're talking about.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

The biggest reason why electric superchargers don't exist is due to the energy losses during the conversion. A supercharger is a mechanical device, where the belt just moves a pulley. For an electric supercharger, mechanical energy would have to be converted to electric energy and then back into mechanical energy. The inefficiency of these conversions is huge and would not net a feasible amount of power gain (if any) when it finally makes its way back into the mechanical form.

Quick Reply: Electric Superchargers (No, really...)