FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Expectations of STS 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by logan214
Is this site holding classes for boost 101? Cause I could sure use a schooling when it comes to these kits. Any suggestion for a good shop on around the MD, PA arae?
Don't know anyone in your area....in mine either for that matter.
This is the place to be when getting questions answered, either advanced or simple. The people here are second to none in experience on these trucks and engines, and always willing to help. Sometimes it's not the quickest getting certain answers if the guy that knows what you need has not logged in for a while, but rest assured you will get help here.

So how did checking all your connections go?? Find anything?
Old 09-20-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 10psi with an LQ9, 44lb hr injectors aren't enough on a returnless system unless the tune is very weak. As for what to expect, expect to have it be alot of work to get good results out of.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah. Its easy to get good results from this set up for what you're looking for logan.

You just need the tools at this point.

Zippy's right about the injectors most likely. You need bigger or need some Meth Inj (and a tune for the meth).
Old 09-20-2006, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Any recommendations on which system for meth and where to buy from?

Nelson did the tunning so I think I'm probably covered there.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Even if Allen did the tune there is still some tuning left in it. He is reasonably conservative until he gets some feedback. When he tuned mine for 5psi and then 10 psi, my A/F was around 9.5 and no telling how much timing left in it. This is really the way to do it and not have the motor .

Like the others said, get a boost, FP and WB AFR guage and start taking notes. Allen will get it there if its not mechanical. And I would think that 44#rs are kind of light for a 6.0 and 10 psi too. IMHO, I would go with the injectors and an I/C. They are less difficult to install and its one less fluid level to have to watch.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I am the anti-STS guy I say that with some work you'll get some results out of your kit. At 5psi you should be getting a big push out of your turbo. A Radix kit at 5-6psi is very noticable so a turbo at that pressure level should be even better since you don't have the drag of the blower. If you're looking for low maintanence I wouldn't go with a meth kit. I highly agree with Erik that it would help your sitaution though. I'd recomend the SVO injectors and an intercooler. From there if you get it tuned in you shouldn't have to do much at all with it. Pretty much a drive it and forget it kind of deal. That is once you figure out what your current issue. I am also not a fan of Nelson by any means, but I will say that he is likely your best tuner for the STS and with some help could get any tuning issue's handled easily. There are a few STS guys out in your area. You need to have one of them that has logging equipment take a quick log of your truck and send it to Allen. From there he could probably spot a problem quickly.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Yeah.....zippy=anti butt turbo!!

Where's the butt turbo pic when you need it!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zippy
Even though I am the anti-STS guy I say that with some work you'll get some results out of your kit. At 5psi you should be getting a big push out of your turbo. A Radix kit at 5-6psi is very noticable so a turbo at that pressure level should be even better since you don't have the drag of the blower. If you're looking for low maintanence I wouldn't go with a meth kit. I highly agree with Erik that it would help your sitaution though. I'd recomend the SVO injectors and an intercooler. From there if you get it tuned in you shouldn't have to do much at all with it. Pretty much a drive it and forget it kind of deal. That is once you figure out what your current issue. I am also not a fan of Nelson by any means, but I will say that he is likely your best tuner for the STS and with some help could get any tuning issue's handled easily. There are a few STS guys out in your area. You need to have one of them that has logging equipment take a quick log of your truck and send it to Allen. From there he could probably spot a problem quickly.
Can you guys recommend a place to buy the FMIC besides the STS site? I was hoping not to have to buy another set of injectors since I just bought these #44 LBS when I purchased the kit. They still have to send me a boost a pump which was part of the sale. Will that help instead of uping the injectors again?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

PM sent....
Old 09-20-2006, 04:32 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by logan214
Can you guys recommend a place to buy the FMIC besides the STS site? I was hoping not to have to buy another set of injectors since I just bought these #44 LBS when I purchased the kit. They still have to send me a boost a pump which was part of the sale. Will that help instead of uping the injectors again?

Hey bro, I'm updating my intercooler for the turbo upgrade. I have an OBX cooler and some custom piping (did it before STS offered one).

Here's a pic of the mounted cooler:

You'll just need a piece of 3x3 angle iron to mount it.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested and we can talk turkey.

Quick Reply: Expectations of STS 6.0L