FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

explain meth to me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:40 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default explain meth to me.

i read about it alot but, how does it work where can you get it. can you use it just to cool? i read people useing winter windshield washer fluid. can you really use it? please teach me a few things here. my intercooler does a good job cruising around town and if you get on it here or there like stop light to stop light. but at the track she gets a bit warm toward the end. when i went to the track last i was wooping the **** outa people in the 1/8th. but after that people would pull on me. come to find out i was runing 7* of timing at that point with 120ish iat and KR. so i need something to remedy this.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Still moddin'

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Why Water/Methanol Injection?

In gasoline engines, as with any intercooler, this suppresses detonation so more power producing boost and timing can be utilized. Water, with its high latent heat of vaporization cools the intake charge and combustion. Methanol cools the charge and combustion but also acts like an extremely high octane fuel (some researchers claim as high as 120 octane) as well as adding more oxygen to combustion.

A brief History:
Water injection was evaluated scientifically in the 1930.s by H. Ricardo who demonstrated that one can basically double the power output of an engine using water/methanol. The first widespread use was during WWII on supercharged and turbocharged aircraft. In 1942, the German Luftwaffe increased the horsepower of the Focke-Wulf 190D-9 fighter aircraft from 1776HP to 2240HP using 50/50% water/methanol injection. The allies soon followed by fitting the P51 Mustang and other high performance aircraft with water/methanol injection. Following the war, the turboprop aircraft industry used water/methanol injection and called it the "automatic power reserve system (APR)" for use in hot or high altitude take off. It surfaced again in the 60's when GM used a system on the OEM turbo Corvair. It was used effectively in Formula 1 before being banned for adding too much power.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Its highly addictive, fairly cheap to produce, and extremely illegal... Ohhh you mean methanol....
Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Its highly addictive, fairly cheap to produce, and extremely illegal... Ohhh you mean methanol....
dam ubeat me to it i was gonna say somethin similiar
Old 03-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

What size is your intercooler core?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

03sierraslt & jk, I had a similiar answer as I saw 1st post. I wanted to know & sometime ago checked on some vendors website(s). I think Snow was where I found some good info. For a friend, of course.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
i read about it alot but, how does it work where can you get it. can you use it just to cool? i read people useing winter windshield washer fluid. can you really use it? please teach me a few things here. my intercooler does a good job cruising around town and if you get on it here or there like stop light to stop light. but at the track she gets a bit warm toward the end. when i went to the track last i was wooping the **** outa people in the 1/8th. but after that people would pull on me. come to find out i was runing 7* of timing at that point with 120ish iat and KR. so i need something to remedy this.
yes you can use windshield fluid just get the stuff as close or below zero as possible.
The combination helps cool things down, raise octane and allows you to run more timing, oh and cleans the valves too.
To take advantage of the cooler charge as in the more timing side of things you will need to relocate the air temp sensor. You REALLY do not want to spray premaf when dealing with this stuff. Sensor just hate methanol. The hole corrotion thing.

120iat and your getting knock at 7' of timing. What octane are you running?

Looks like this inside the air tube.

Last edited by TrickTurbo; 03-27-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
What size is your intercooler core?
core is 18 x 12 x 3
Old 03-27-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive been using my snow meth for awile,it works awesome .but i do also want too know what you guys call meth or straight meth?i use 1 gal w/w fluid and 3 small bottles of heet.what do you guys use .?i have a friend that is an old school mechanic and says he used 2 use air brake antifreeze from big trucks in his day in the dragsters as meth .id like to know what u guys use bcause in the summer here my iats quite frequently reach 120 and dont drop that much with my meth.i use the smaller nozzle in the snow kit.hope i didnt jack the thread im curios also .
Old 03-27-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump wile im on still.

Quick Reply: explain meth to me.